1180 users online (224 members and 956 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Death Penalty VS Life in Prison if Capital Crime Conviction

Voters
365. You may not vote on this poll
  • Death Penalty is Appropriate in This Case

184 50.41%
  • Life in Prison is Appropriate in This Case

181 49.59%

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Capital Crimes/ Death Penalty VS Life in Prison

People have different ideas about which is the harsher punishment...life in prison, or the death penalty.

Whether a Court is brutally harsh or amazingly merciful, the question about the severity of these 2 options is a subjective one.

Florida, of course, is a "Death Penalty State."

If Casey is convicted of a capital crime, would you want her punishment to be

Life in prison or

Execution-the Death Penalty

and why?

Please Vote and Discuss your choice. I'm really interested in WSer opinions on this topic!

Florida Statute 775.082:

(1) A person who has been convicted of a capital felony
    shall be punished by death if the proceeding held to determine sentence according to the procedure set forth in s. 921.141 results in findings by the court that such person shall be punished by death, otherwise such person shall be punished by life imprisonment and shall be ineligible for parole.

Life in prison so she will have a long time think about what she has done.

Life in prison, general population.

But then again, I have never viewed death as much of a punishment myself.

Death is too easy. I think she needs to sit in prison -- gen pop, if possible, for a very very long time!

Fandy is offline Polite & Interested Newbie, if I don't ask, I'll never know!
    I voted for DP, but I don't think she will draw this card. I am basing my post on Mr. Fandy's opinion...."she is too young and pretty, not a prior criminal. They will give her more leniency".
    Keeping the Litterbox Clean! (these are not my cats, they are generic~mine are much cuter)!

I don't care, as long as she is off the streets forever. She is a very dangerous woman.

softsoul is offline I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginny View Post
    Death is too easy. I think she needs to sit in prison -- gen pop, if possible, for a very very long time!
    I agree. I think this would not be an enjoyable life...at least not for me. I'd rather die than live like that. I hope Casey feels the same way.

OT-Ginny- are those flat coat black labs in your avatar?

I am for the death penalty in most circumstances where someone does harm upon a child..
    But, with this case, I think the worst punishment would be life in prison for Casey.
    Everything is all about her..there is a big difference to me with her knowing she will die, and being given a date, vs having to live the rest of her life not knowing how long she will live.
    I say put her in general public with all the women who stole, and wrote countless bad checks just to feed their families..
    Justice For Caylee Marie

I could go either way on this one. Death seems too easy. Yet knowing a date certain when death will come is something to mess with your mind so I don't know on this one. Usually in crimes against children I am death penalty all the way.
    Children don't stop dancing

I might change my mind if we ever find out where Caylee is and what she did to her (to death), but for right now I think that life in prison is a worse fate than death for KC.
    "Until you do right by me, everything you think about is gonna crumble... until you do right by me, everything you think about is gonna fail."

It depends on whether she killed the baby on purpose (1st degree murder....they would have to prove that to me and I am beginning to think she did). If she killed the baby on purpose then I would vote for the death penalty.

If she murdered the baby thru abuse (ie, overdosing her on drugs or some other mishap thru her neglect and criminal ways) I vote for life without parole. She should never be allowed out in society again or given another chance. As it stands now, without a body, I do not believe the DA will go for the death penalty. I think it is hard to give the DP to someone without a body and I doubt they will ever find the baby's body. No matter what they say the DP is the worse penalty and sentence. No one could enjoy living with that hanging over their head.

I voted life in Prison, I hope the memory of what has happened to Caylee haunts her for the rest of her life, death is too easy for her, He!! will be still be there, she gets to spend eternity there, not in jail, only a lifetime in jail JMO

Poppy

DP W/aggravating circumstances. Pick one!

Florida:

(4) The defendant committed the murder after substantial planning and premeditation

(11)The victim of the capital felony was a person less than 12 years of age

(12)The victim of the capital felony was particularly vulnerable due to disability, or because the defendant stood in a position of familial or custodial authority over the victim

(16)The capital felony was a homicide and was committed in a cold, calculated, and premeditated manner without any pretense of moral or legal justification

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/aggr...nishment-state
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

If she is guilty, why pay for her? She is quite probably by all accounts a sociopath, so she will not feel remorse, so if that is the case, I disagree that a life sentence would have any effect on her whatsoever. If this was premeditated, I think the death penalty should definitely be on the table and is appropriate, besides, even if condemned, she will sit on the row for years. Taxpayers should not have to pay for the luxuries involved with housing her as the likelyhood of her being placed in gen pop due to the notoriety of this case are about zero. That means she will be in the SHU with her own cell and probably most of the luxuries of home. If the Florida taxpayers want to assume those costs, God bless them, however, since life without parole carries no rehabilitative value (most all agree no way to rehab a sociopath anyway), there is little point. Just condemn her and be done if convicted, jmo.

Casey has no conscience or feelings for anyone but herself. Caylee never haunts her. You are thinking about normal people. Casey is a sociopath and could care less now. Its all about her. All about saving her own neck. Her baby is dead and gone. Time to move on according to her thinking. She will just find herself a girl friend in prison so she can carry on with her sex life and find a way to be happy there. If the DA proves to me she killed her daughter on purpose I hope she gets the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by PoppyH View Post
    I voted life in Prison, I hope the memory of what has happened to Caylee haunts her for the rest of her life, death is too easy for her, He!! will be still be there, she gets to spend eternity there, not in jail, only a lifetime in jail JMO

Poppy

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast