GUILTY NC - Sgt. Christina Smith, 29, stabbed to death, Fort Bragg, 30 Sept 2008

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Fort Bragg has identified a female soldier who was stabbed to death Tuesday night.

Sgt. Christina E. Smith, 29, was attacked and killed while walking with her husband near their home in north Fayetteville.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=306283

Husband Sgt. Richard Smith was also taken to the hospital and has since been released. Sgt. C. Smith was a graphics illustrator and was working in the Psychological Operations Group.

Her husband, Sgt. Richard D. Smith told authorities a man jumped out from behind a bush and stabbed his wife while they were walking near their home.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=871d39a2-e180-4ae2-99fd-6d8b9cbf9e4a

Hmmm....I think I'll leave my thoughts to myself on this one until I get more information. But I will say, my hinky meter is up and running! :waitasec:

What, mysteriew, no comment about this husband's story? So unlike you!

I saw this one yesterday and I'm glad you posted it. Sgt. Smith didn't put much thought in to his story if you ask me. What say you?

Susan

LOL, TGI are you saying that I talk too much?

Oh in my opinion it is very unusual for a man to jump out of the bushes and jump the woman first, leaving the man with only superficial injuries. Also that she was working in the psych ops group also got my attention. But I am like Lucy's Mom, I was waiting for more details, lol.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/17611046/detail.html

This is the third female soldier from the Ohio/Kentucky area to be killed in NC. Two of the three have been determined to slain at the hands of someone close to them. I guess this one we will wait and see.

N.C. is not a good place to be if you are a woman with a husband, boyfriend, or ex-anything." Less than chivalrous" men all over the state are watching their buddies get away with murder and getting ideas of their own.
JMO
Susan

Well, I am expecting to hear that they found the alleged assailant's blood at the scene since the alleged assailant was busy stabbing Sgt. Christine, and Sgt. Richard was a trained soldier. If that is indeed what happened, lol.

I probably do talk too much.

I read the story and my eyebrow went up. People running to help and nobody sees an assailant running away?

Both were trained soldiers and why would the assailant target her? Granted she might be closest to the bushes the man leapt out of. It could be said that the husband got his injuries in defending his wife, but minor? While the wife gets stabbed several times.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt at the moment but I'm like Lucy's Mom... hinky meter is in the red.

Don't these men get it??? They will be caught eventually. I guess think they are smarter than the men who have been busted.

I just have no words. It's case, after case, after case.

:(
fran

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=306341

Police have released few details about the case.

Neighbors said they heard a woman’s screams for help shortly before 9 p.m. Tuesday and then saw Christina Smith lying in a pool of blood on Baxter Street, near the intersection of Southview Circle.

Richard Smith told officers that the two were walking when she was attacked and stabbed in the neck.

He said the attacker fled when he ran toward him.

Richard Smith was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center with minor injuries, police said. The nature of his injuries was not released.

Police also did not release a description of an attacker, and none of the neighbors who spoke with The Fayetteville Observer on Tuesday night said they saw anything before discovering Christina Smith in the street.

Richard Smith and witnesses were questioned Wednesday, police said.

I just do not know what to think about this one. Does not sound plausible that someone would go after the female first. Now the female is dead and the guy survived and has already been released from the hospital? This sounds personal to me. Either someone has a personal beef with the female, or maybe the husband set it up since he was already released from the hospital. Wonder whose idea it was to go for a walk.

My granddaughter and her husband are living in Fayetteville - she is USAF at Pope AFB, (almost next door to Ft. Bragg) and he is Army at Ft. Bragg. She is pregnant and due to have their first baby on October 11th. She just transferred there. He is out in the field for 8 days right now. I am 58 years old and about to be a great grandmother!

I am just this morning reading about this. I feel like screaming! What is going on? I want to read more about it. I just talked to my granddaughter late yesterday afternoon.

Thanks, Mysteriew, for starting this thread! I am off to see if there is an update this morning!

fran, you were posting at the same time I was. I just read the article you posted. My granddaughter did not even mention this when she called yesterday afternoon. I am going to ask her about it today when I talk with her. She calls at least every other day as her mother lives with me. She is only 20 years old.

Something has got to give with all of these murders we are hearing about in our military. What is wrong with people? Ft. Bragg, coupled with Pope AFB makes the military a huge military presence in Fayetteville.

For there to have been the third female military member murdered in Fayetteville since June is very disturbing and frightening. I want to know more about Christina's murder. It is odd that there is not more information available. I think my granddaughter did not mention it to us because she knows that we worry as it is.

Looks like the husband enlisted a private new officer to help him and thought it would take the heat off himself. What a dummy; when will they learn?

fran, you were posting at the same time I was. I just read the article you posted. My granddaughter did not even mention this when she called yesterday afternoon. I am going to ask her about it today when I talk with her. She calls at least every other day as her mother lives with me. She is only 20 years old.

Something has got to give with all of these murders we are hearing about in our military. What is wrong with people? Ft. Bragg, coupled with Pope AFB makes the military a huge military presence in Fayetteville.

For there to have been the third female military member murdered in Fayetteville since June is very disturbing and frightening. I want to know more about Christina's murder. It is odd that there is not more information available. I think my granddaughter did not mention it to us because she knows that we worry as it is.

Congrats on that great grandbaby. I know it won't be spoiled, lol.

You will find that when the military is involved in the investigation that very little info will be released. Just the very bare facts, and that goes clear up to and including the trial.

So many issues here. First the DV issue. The third this year. Second, a conspiracy between Sgt. and a private- so a superior officer. The death of a soldier. By another soldier. The second one for this unit. The parties involved were all soldiers, yet the murder was committed off base. Will this be a military court martial or a trial through the county?

Christina Smith and Kvapil are multimedia graphic illustrators and Smith is an electronics maintenance technician assigned to the 4th Psychological Operations Group at Fort Bragg, according to a military press release.
http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=306363

Congrats on that great grandbaby. I know it won't be spoiled, lol.

You will find that when the military is involved in the investigation that very little info will be released. Just the very bare facts, and that goes clear up to and including the trial.

So many issues here. First the DV issue. The third this year. Second, a conspiracy between Sgt. and a private- so a superior officer. The death of a soldier. By another soldier. The second one for this unit. The parties involved were all soldiers, yet the murder was committed off base. Will this be a military court martial or a trial through the county?

Christina Smith and Kvapil are multimedia graphic illustrators and Smith is an electronics maintenance technician assigned to the 4th Psychological Operations Group at Fort Bragg, according to a military press release.
http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=306363

The articles said that this is being handled by the civilian authorities, so I don't think it will involve a court martial for murder -- unless they're found innocent, in which case the military can step in and try them. Neither of the suspects are officers, so there's no really serious fraternization charges to be brought, even though one is a few pay grades above the other. I would suppose that the military will proceed to kick them out of the service, so that their pay will stop. They may not do that quickly if either one has children who need to be supported.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back