Salmonella sickens people in 12 states

Dark Knight

Reaction score
The government is urging consumers to thoroughly cook frozen chicken dinners after 32 people in 12 states were sickened with salmonella poisoning.

The health warning by the U.S. Department of Agriculture cited frozen dishes in which the chicken is raw, but breaded or pre-browned, giving the appearance of being cooked. They include "chicken cordon bleu," "chicken Kiev," or chicken breasts stuffed with cheese, vegetables or other items.

USDA said many of the people who became ill apparently did not follow the package's cooking instructions and microwaved the chicken dishes even though the instructions did not provide for it. Microwaving didn't heat the meals enough to kill the salmonella.

The department said consumers should cook chicken products to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081005...n&printer=1;_ylt=Amr.23JTutgyp_l.HujQHRJH2ocA

That is so gross. I'm pretty paranoid about even handling raw chicken, I don't want to imagine eating it while raw!

People listen up!! You must follow the package cooking instructions,if there is no directions for microwave cooking,do not put it in the microwave! jeez.....:bang:

The government is urging consumers to thoroughly cook frozen chicken dinners after 32 people in 12 states were sickened with salmonella poisoning.

The health warning by the U.S. Department of Agriculture cited frozen dishes in which the chicken is raw, but breaded or pre-browned, giving the appearance of being cooked. They include "chicken cordon bleu," "chicken Kiev," or chicken breasts stuffed with cheese, vegetables or other items.

USDA said many of the people who became ill apparently did not follow the package's cooking instructions and microwaved the chicken dishes even though the instructions did not provide for it. Microwaving didn't heat the meals enough to kill the salmonella.

The department said consumers should cook chicken products to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081005...n&printer=1;_ylt=Amr.23JTutgyp_l.HujQHRJH2ocA

More

The implicated product is Milford Valley Farms Chicken Cordon Bleu and Chicken Kiev. This product is sold at many different grocery store chains.

Each of the implicated products bear the establishment number "Est. P-2375" inside the USDA mark of inspection. The implicated Chicken Cordon Bleu products have code dates of C8121, C126, and C8133 printed on the side of the package, and the implicated Chicken Kiev products have a code date of C149 printed on the side of the package. It's important to note that because Salmonella is not considered an adulterant in raw poultry, no recall is required according to federal guidelines. MDA and MDH officials advise that consumers with these products in their freezers, if they choose to use them, should cook them thoroughly.
Don't think this would ever happen with Stauffer's.....

xxxxxxxxooo
mama
:blowkiss::blowkiss:

The thing is that this produce USED to have mic instructions! I know because we eat it often. About a year ago, the mic instructions disappeared from the packaging, but I have continued to microwave them w/ no problems. I will now stop using the mic w/ them, but they should have indicated on the packaging that a problem was established eliminating the possibility of micing. :(

When they changed the cooking instructions, they also changed the packaging. Whereas the original package showed a very goldeny brown chicken breast, the new illustration showed a pallid and yellow product-I guess they were trying to hint that the thing wasn't pre-cooked!

The thing is that this produce USED to have mic instructions! I know because we eat it often. About a year ago, the mic instructions disappeared from the packaging, but I have continued to microwave them w/ no problems. I will now stop using the mic w/ them, but they should have indicated on the packaging that a problem was established eliminating the possibility of micing. :(

And now Pandora.......we all have to run out and buy a teensy weensy thermomator to stick into each little bits of chicken. LOL

I always buy Stauffer frozen food. They are top of the line and you get what you pay for. Good instructions, and dang good to have in fridge when you don't wanna cook!

xxxo
mama
:blowkiss::blowkiss:

I don't buy frozen dinners that you cannot nuke (as I pull my steak n cheese hot pocket out of the microwave). LOL If I go to the trouble of using the oven...might as well go for a real meal instead. Thanks for the heads up tho! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back