CA CA - Roger Madison, 16, Sylmar, 16 Dec 1968

Never give up caring-I think that motto fits this investigation. Thank you for the link!

I remember reading about a girl from Redlands who went missing from an orange grove too--I wonder if they are connected? Let me see if I can find the thread..

I live in Redlands and have never heard this story. There have been many strange things that have happened in the Orange Groves from murder and rape to satanic dealings. I'll see what I can find out.

The search is to be cancelled. May he rest in piece I really hoped he would be found and given a proper buriel.

MOORPARK Authorities Friday announced plans to end the search for the body of a 16-year-old San Fernando Valley boy who has been missing for 40 years and is believed to have been buried next to the 23 Freeway in Moorpark.
http://cbs2.com/local/Roger.Madison.Missing.2.837440.html

from 2011:

Three years ago, authorities excavated an exit ramp off the 23 Freeway in Ventura County, seeking the bones of 16-year-old Roger Dale Madison of Sylmar. Mack Ray Edwards, a neighbor and friend of the Madison family, had admitted stabbing the boy near the freeway when it was under construction in 1968. He worked on that project too, and authorities believe the boy's body may be buried beneath the roadway. After five days of digging, police called off the search.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/15/local/la-me-ramona-price-20110615

NAMUS: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4637/

Roger Dale Madison
roger_dale_madison_1.jpg

Roger, circa 1968

• Missing Since 12/16/1968
  • Missing From Sylmar, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 10/13/1953 (67)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8, 145 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A dark green sweater, light tan trousers and black shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, hazel eyes.
Details of Disappearance

Roger was last seen leaving his home in the 14500 block of Sayre Street in Sylmar, California on December 16, 1968. He had an argument with his father about smoking and rode away from his house on his motorcycle. Roger never returned home and has never been heard from again. His family initially believed he'd run away from home.

Roger loved animals and rock and roll music in 1968. He enjoyed playing sports and playing the guitar, and he was close to his family, which included his parents, two sisters and two brothers. Roger's parents have died, but his siblings are alive and hope for a resolution in his case.

Authorities believe Mack Ray Edwards was responsible for Roger's disappearance. A photograph of him is posted below this case summary. In 1970, Edwards pleaded guilty to killing three California children and sentenced to death at his own request. He confessed to killing Roger and two other missing children, Brenda Howell and Donald Baker.

roger_dale_madison_4.jpg

Mack Ray Edwards

Edwards lived just five houses down the street from Roger's home and was a regular visitor there. Roger was a classmate of Edwards's adopted son, and the two boys were friendly with each other. Edwards stated he lured Roger into an orange grove and tricked him into agreeing to be tied up as part of a game. Edwards said he then stabbed him to death and buried his body under the 23 Freeway in Thousand Oaks, California.

The freeway was under construction at the time and Edwards was looking at the site. He claimed he used a bulldozer to bury Roger's body. Authorities believe he was also most likely responsible for the murders of several other children and the disappearances of Thomas Bowman, Bruce Kremen, Ramona Price and Karen Tompkins.

Edwards lead authorities to a site where he said he had buried some of his victims, but no evidence was located and he was never charged in connection with any of the missing children's cases. He died by suicide on death row in 1971. A photograph of Edwards is posted with this case summary. His alleged victims ranged in age from seven to sixteen years old.

Foul play is suspected in Roger's case due to the circumstances involved. His case was reopened in 2007 as authorities renewed the search for the bodies of Edwards's victims. Edwards was employed as a heavy equipment operator in the 1950s and 1960s, and helped construct many highways across the state of California. Investigators believe he may have buried the children's remains under the highways.

In 2008, they dug a 25-foot-deep pit near the 23 Freeway in search of Roger's body, but the search was called off due to safety concerns. Authorities believe Roger's remains are very close to the search site, however, and his younger sister left a bouquet of flowers there.

Investigating Agency
  • Los Angeles Police Department 213-847-0970
Source Information

Roger Madison_en_ci.png
Roger Dale Madison age 16
Missing since 16 December 1968

Could his disappearance be linked to the following cases?

bowman_thomas3.jpg

Thomas Eldon Bowman age 8
Missing since 23 March 1957

bruce_howard_kremen_1.jpg

Bruce Howard Kremen age 6
Missing since 12 July 1960

price_ramona.jpg

Ramona Irene Price age 7
Missing since 2 September 1961

karen_lynn_tompkins_3.jpg

Karen Lynn Tompkins age 11
Missing since 18 August 1961

All of the above listed children are believed to have been victims of Mack Ray Edwards. How many others were there?

Mack Ray Edwards

Mack Ray Edwards​

BIRTH 17 Oct 1918 Mount Ida, Montgomery County, Arkansas, USA
DEATH 30 Oct 1971 (aged 53)San Quentin, Marin County, California, USA
Burial Details Unknown

LINKS:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics