1062 users online (234 members and 828 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Thumbs down Rabies-Infected Dead Bat Brought for Show and Tell

Dead bats are a bad idea, folks.

Oct 7th, 2008 | STEVENSVILLE, Mont. -- About 90 elementary school students in Montana have started a series of rabies shots after a parent let them touch a dead bat that was later confirmed to be diseased.

The mother of two students gave presentations in five classrooms and allowed the kids to touch the dead bat last week. She offered each student who touched the bat a sanitary wipe.

More at link:
    http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/us/200...ool/index.html

....well at least she offered them a sanitary wipe.

So Cal Redlands, CA to be exact. We call it Inland Empire!
    Um she didn't have a visitor pass yet teachers let her enter and let thier students touch a dead bat?!? Maybe the teachers need to go back to school to learn about health and diseases!
    The world is divided into two kinds of people: those who have tattoos, and those who are afraid of people with tattoos. ~Author Unknown

Mother is the name for God on the hearts and lips of all children.

Quote Originally Posted by miss u daddy View Post
    Um she didn't have a visitor pass yet teachers let her enter and let thier students touch a dead bat?!? Maybe the teachers need to go back to school to learn about health and diseases!
    The school did not have a visitor's pass system in place when this happened, which is hard for me to believe! I thought all schools in USA were practically on lockdown they're so careful!

I totally agree that the teachers should have at least CONSIDERED the possibility that any sort of dead animal could be harboring disease. I'm not understanding why all the kids need shots, though, because I thought the rabies virus had to be introduced into the body through a cut or bite.......

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post
    I'm not understanding why all the kids need shots, though, because I thought the rabies virus had to be introduced into the body through a cut or bite.......
    Would you want to bet your child's life that his/her skin was perfectly intact or that they hadn't inhaled virus particles? It's a fatal virus that can only be prevented by vaccination, not cured after the fact.

Oh geez. What a nut! We had a student bring a dead (baby) shark in last year for show and tell. No one touched it though. A bat though? What were the teachers thinking??

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Loves Lurking View Post
    Dead bats are a bad idea, folks.

Oct 7th, 2008 | STEVENSVILLE, Mont. -- About 90 elementary school students in Montana have started a series of rabies shots after a parent let them touch a dead bat that was later confirmed to be diseased.

The mother of two students gave presentations in five classrooms and allowed the kids to touch the dead bat last week. She offered each student who touched the bat a sanitary wipe.

More at link:
    http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/us/200...ool/index.html

....well at least she offered them a sanitary wipe.
    how stupid can a person be ffs

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post
    I'm not understanding why all the kids need shots, though, because I thought the rabies virus had to be introduced into the body through a cut or bite.......
    You can get rabies just through contact with your mouth or eyes or touching the infected saliva containing when you have a cut on your hand. Its rare-ish I think but definitely possible and kids are always sticking their hands in their mouth/face.

This woman is nuts. Even without the rabies virus issue didn't she think that a dead wild animal could be carrying some kind of germs? Even if it was disease free and just starting to rot... eewww. Yuck!!

Here, touch the dead bat.. i'm surprised the kids would want to. People are idiots geez

How fast can you say lawsuit?

Some people have dumb kids (refering to bat mom).