801 users online (119 members and 682 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026

    CT Supreme Court Rules Gays Can Marry

    Excellent news!

    High Court Grants Marriage Rights For Same-Sex Couples

    The state Supreme Court's 4-3 decision Friday that same-sex couples have the right to marry swept through the state with the force of a cultural tidal wave.

    While lead plaintiff Beth Kerrigan and her partner -- soon to be wife -- embraced and sobbed after learning of the ruling, opponents vowed to pursue a long and complicated route to change the constitution to ban gay marriage.


    more at link
    http://www.courant.com/news/politics...,7812756.story
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    dirty south
    Posts
    289
    A step in the right direction
    nothing seems black when i see your red shoes

  3. #3
    Maui4me's Avatar
    Maui4me is offline non-judgmental grandma looking for justice for Caylee
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Color Country, UT
    Posts
    587
    I agree, call it whatever you want to call it, but give them the same rights as everyone else.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    1,568
    I think with the precedents being set we will see more and more states changing. The proposition to change the constitution in California will go down to defeat next month. Eventually other states will ahve to start recognizing people married in states allowing it. I hope.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    918
    Applaud diversity people!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    Applaud diversity people!

    Good news, hopefully all states will follow suit soon. JMO.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    FL- hope you like drugs and guns.
    Posts
    1,047
    awesome.

    now they can be as miserable as the rest of us.

  8. #8
    Great news!!!

    Also, Happy Coming Out Day to everyone!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I think with the precedents being set we will see more and more states changing. The proposition to change the constitution in California will go down to defeat next month. Eventually other states will ahve to start recognizing people married in states allowing it. I hope.
    I pray you are right. Let's remember to remind our friends to vote. (I'm a little worried that it will be so obvious that Obama will carry the state that some people who would naturally oppose Prop 8 will stay home.)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    599

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I pray you are right. Let's remember to remind our friends to vote. (I'm a little worried that it will be so obvious that Obama will carry the state that some people who would naturally oppose Prop 8 will stay home.)

    Prop 8 is pretty much the only reason I am going to the polling place that day. I'm not a huge fan of either candidate, and as you said, it is pretty obvious that Obama is going to win my state.

    I've been reminding my friends of the same.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,585

    Hurrah for the other team!

    I'm so happy for all my friends who have so long been denied the right to marry those whom they love. Connecticut has long been a gay-friendly state (some exceptions, of course).

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Prop 8 is pretty much the only reason I am going to the polling place that day. I'm not a huge fan of either candidate, and as you said, it is pretty obvious that Obama is going to win my state.

    I've been reminding my friends of the same.
    Good for you and, on a personal note, thank you very much, Shecky!

    I don't think there's much precedent for a majority voting for equal rights for a minority. Such rights are usually granted by the courts. We'll see...



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 01:34 AM
  2. Supreme Court rules child rapists can't be executed
    By Taximom in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 01:24 AM
  3. Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Guantanamo Detainee's
    By gaia227 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 05:20 PM