Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 123
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    342

    Mitigating Factor: Filicide Children Killed by Parents?

    I am a big fan of statistics. I have not seen a thread like this started yet. Please feel free to add interesting studies, facts, or statistics relating to Parents who murder children.

    Here is some good info I found....

    The Numbers
    Children under the age of 5 in the United States are more likely to be killed by their parents than anyone else. Contrary to popular mythology, they are rarely killed by a sex-crazed stranger. FBI crime statistics show that in 1999 parents were responsible for 57 percent of these murders, with family friends and acquaintances accounting for another 30 percent and other family members accounting for 8 percent. Crime statistics further reveal that of the children under 5 killed from 1976 to 1999, 30 percent were murdered by their mothers while 31 percent were killed by their fathers. And while the strangers, acquaintances, and other family members who kill children skew heavily toward males (as does the entire class of murderers), children are as likely to be murdered by their fathers as by their mothers.


    If you would like to read more of this article it can be found here
    http://www.slate.com/id/2063086/
    Last edited by JBean; 12-29-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: copyright infringement. we can only post a few sentences.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    342
    I cut and pasted parts of this one. The whole article is good but it is long. I posted the link at the bottom

    Classification and descriptions of Parents who commit Filicide
    (filicide~ the murder of one's children)
    Linda Cylc~ Psychology~Villanova University


    Data suggests that most murders of children under 12 years old are
    committed by mothers



    more...
    pdf file /11 pgs
    http://www.publications.villanova.ed...5/Filicide.pdf
    Last edited by JBean; 10-11-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: copyright infringement. Only a bit of the article please. thx


  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terilee For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Terilee View Post
    Crime statistics further reveal that of the children under 5 killed from 1976 to 1999, 30 percent were murdered by their mothers while 31 percent were killed by their fathers. And while the strangers, acquaintances, and other family members who kill children skew heavily toward males (as does the entire class of murderers), children are as likely to be murdered by their fathers as by their mothers.

    If you would like to read more of this article it can be found here
    http://www.slate.com/id/2063086/
    I found this to be most interesting. There seem to be a lot of supporters on here that think that she couldn't have possibly murdered her, because mothers don't do that, because we all have maternal extincts, etc etc, but I have been saying all along that mothers can and DO murder their children - just having the ability to give birth to a child doesn't automatically make you a mother. and that women can be just as evil as men to their own. thanks for trotting out stats to support this...I like this thread!
    Some people do crossword puzzles or Soduko in their spare time...I look at skeletal reconstructions and work on UID puzzles. I swear I'm not this morbid in person!

    Help Fred Murray find his daughter and bring her home. He should not be walking those woods alone!
    What Happened to Maura Murray? http://www.mauramurraymissing.com


  5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to future criminologist For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by Terilee View Post
    I am a big fan of statistics. I have not seen a thread like this started yet. Please feel free to add interesting studies, facts, or statistics relating to Parents who murder children.

    Here is some good info I found....

    The Numbers
    Children under the age of 5 in the United States are more likely to be killed by their parents than anyone else. Contrary to popular mythology, they are rarely killed by a sex-crazed stranger. FBI crime statistics show that in 1999 parents were responsible for 57 percent of these murders, with family friends and acquaintances accounting for another 30 percent and other family members accounting for 8 percent. Crime statistics further reveal that of the children under 5 killed from 1976 to 1999, 30 percent were murdered by their mothers while 31 percent were killed by their fathers. And while the strangers, acquaintances, and other family members who kill children skew heavily toward males (as does the entire class of murderers), children are as likely to be murdered by their fathers as by their mothers.


    If you would like to read more of this article it can be found here
    http://www.slate.com/id/2063086/
    I didn't realize any of this, or think that the numbers were that high on parents killing thier own children. That blows me away! Thank you for posting this!


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by future criminologist View Post
    I found this to be most interesting. There seem to be a lot of supporters on here that think that she couldn't have possibly murdered her, because mothers don't do that, because we all have maternal extincts, etc etc, but I have been saying all along that mothers can and DO murder their children - just having the ability to give birth to a child doesn't automatically make you a mother. and that women can be just as evil as men to their own. thanks for trotting out stats to support this...I like this thread!
    I agree. Just giving birth does not a mommy make. Some women do not have the maternal feeling or actions that others do have. My cousin is a prime example. She has three boys. She leaves them at all hours with my aunt. She may not show up again for 2 or 3 weeks. If they need a doctor my aunt has to do it because my cousin doesn't have the time (even though she is not employed). And if she can't get someone to take the boys for her she takes them out cruising and partying with her.
    Some people are not meant to be parents. plain and simple.


  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to motherducky For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,788

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ketel0ne For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by motherducky View Post
    I agree. Just giving birth does not a mommy make. Some women do not have the maternal feeling or actions that others do have. My cousin is a prime example. She has three boys. She leaves them at all hours with my aunt. She may not show up again for 2 or 3 weeks. If they need a doctor my aunt has to do it because my cousin doesn't have the time (even though she is not employed). And if she can't get someone to take the boys for her she takes them out cruising and partying with her.
    Some people are not meant to be parents. plain and simple.
    What I find odd is a lot of times people like your cousin often have multiple children..it's never made sense to me. I know of a few people like this and they all seem to have more than 1 or 2 kids.
    A Mother's love is a lifelong commitment
    to selflessness
    .


  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MD MOMMY For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by MD MOMMY View Post
    What I find odd is a lot of times people like your cousin often have multiple children..it's never made sense to me. I know of a few people like this and they all seem to have more than 1 or 2 kids.
    My husband has a female relative who had 3 children that her mother ended up raising because she couldn't be bothered. This relative once told me with a straight face she loved having cute cuddly babies, but she didn't like them anymore when they got to be "kids."


  14. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    342
    women do not use guns or knives as murder weapons, nor are
    they intoxicated at the time of the offense (McKee & Shea, 1998). Maternal
    filicide is usually committed using “hands on” methods that entail close and active
    physical contact between mother and child, such as shaking, manual battering,
    suffocation, or drowning, and some indirect methods such as arson or drowning
    while the children are asleep or sedated


    http://www.publications.villanova.ed...5/Filicide.pdf


  15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Terilee For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    342
    In crimes of neonaticide, which is
    virtually exclusively committed by women, mothers are younger, rarely married,
    poorly educated, have a low level of psychiatric disorders and psychosocial
    stressors, no history of criminal behavior, and do not attempt suicide after the
    murders


    sound like anyone we know?



    http://www.publications.villanova.ed...5/Filicide.pdf


  17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Terilee For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,492
    Incest does not discriminate. It happens in families that are financially-privileged, as well as those of low socio-economic status. It happens to those of all racial and ethnic descent, and to those of all religious traditions. Victims of incest are boys and girls, infants and adolescents. Incest occurs between fathers and daughters, fathers and sons, mothers and daughters and mothers and sons. Perpetrators of incest can be aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, step-parents, step-children, grandparents and grandchildren. In addition, incest offenders can be persons without a direct blood or legal relationship to the victim such as a parent's lover or live-in nanny, housekeeper, etc. -- as this abuse takes place within the confines of the family and the home environment (Vanderbilt, 1992). The study of a nationally representative sample of state prisoners serving time for violent crime in 1991 revealed that 20 percent (20%) of their crimes were committed against children, and three out of four prisoners who victimized a child reported the crime took place in their own home or in the victim's home (Greenfeld, 1996).

    http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?d...cumentID=32360
    Last edited by Tom'sGirl; 12-29-2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: a brief rundown all that's needed along with link


  19. The Following User Says Thank You to TURBOTHINK For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    342
    Incest has been cited as the most common form of child abuse. Studies conclude that 43 percent (43%) of the children who are abused are abused by family members, 33 percent (33%) are abused by someone they know, and the remaining 24 percent (24%) are sexually abused by strangers (Hayes, 1990). Other research indicates that over 10 million Americans have been victims of incest.
    http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?d...cumentID=32360[/QUOTE]

    10 million ~ wow! Its scary how many sick people are in this world.


  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Terilee For This Useful Post:


  22. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    309
    This doesn't surprise me. A woman in Greenville County SC was arrested during the summer because they found she was giving birth to babies and just hiding them around her house. I believe it was 6 or 7 babies they found with the last that was just thrown under her sink. Her husband called the cops when he found this one. Nobody knew she was pregnant as she was a healthy size woman.


  23. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Collings Lakes, NJ
    Posts
    6,275
    Last edited by JBean; 10-12-2008 at 11:41 AM.


  24. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somewhere out there.
    Posts
    3,893
    I can't believe how many sick people there are out there. How can you lock your child in a trunk and then walk off as he cries? Unbelievable!!


  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiredofthis For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY CA - Belinda Magana and bf Naresh “Michael” Narine convicted of murder of 2 y.o.
    By skippi in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-13-2015, 10:09 PM
  2. Why Parents Kill Their Children
    By cynic in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 09:37 PM
  3. Mitigating Factor:Could Casey Have Post-Partum Psychosis?
    By gitana1 in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 05:01 PM
  4. 5 year old seeks help after parents killed
    By hicpics in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2007, 11:33 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •