Mitigating Factor: Filicide Children Killed by Parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terilee

Reaction score
I am a big fan of statistics. I have not seen a thread like this started yet. Please feel free to add interesting studies, facts, or statistics relating to Parents who murder children.

Here is some good info I found....

The Numbers
Children under the age of 5 in the United States are more likely to be killed by their parents than anyone else. Contrary to popular mythology, they are rarely killed by a sex-crazed stranger. FBI crime statistics show that in 1999 parents were responsible for 57 percent of these murders, with family friends and acquaintances accounting for another 30 percent and other family members accounting for 8 percent. Crime statistics further reveal that of the children under 5 killed from 1976 to 1999, 30 percent were murdered by their mothers while 31 percent were killed by their fathers. And while the strangers, acquaintances, and other family members who kill children skew heavily toward males (as does the entire class of murderers), children are as likely to be murdered by their fathers as by their mothers.

If you would like to read more of this article it can be found here
http://www.slate.com/id/2063086/

I cut and pasted parts of this one. The whole article is good but it is long. I posted the link at the bottom

Classification and descriptions of Parents who commit Filicide
(filicide~ the murder of one's children)
Linda Cylc~ Psychology~Villanova University

Data suggests that most murders of children under 12 years old are
committed by mothers

more...
pdf file /11 pgs
http://www.publications.villanova.edu/Concept/2005/Filicide.pdf

Crime statistics further reveal that of the children under 5 killed from 1976 to 1999, 30 percent were murdered by their mothers while 31 percent were killed by their fathers. And while the strangers, acquaintances, and other family members who kill children skew heavily toward males (as does the entire class of murderers), children are as likely to be murdered by their fathers as by their mothers.

I found this to be most interesting. There seem to be a lot of supporters on here that think that she couldn't have possibly murdered her, because mothers don't do that, because we all have maternal extincts, etc etc, but I have been saying all along that mothers can and DO murder their children - just having the ability to give birth to a child doesn't automatically make you a mother. and that women can be just as evil as men to their own. thanks for trotting out stats to support this...I like this thread! :)

I am a big fan of statistics. I have not seen a thread like this started yet. Please feel free to add interesting studies, facts, or statistics relating to Parents who murder children.

Here is some good info I found....

The Numbers
Children under the age of 5 in the United States are more likely to be killed by their parents than anyone else. Contrary to popular mythology, they are rarely killed by a sex-crazed stranger. FBI crime statistics show that in 1999 parents were responsible for 57 percent of these murders, with family friends and acquaintances accounting for another 30 percent and other family members accounting for 8 percent. Crime statistics further reveal that of the children under 5 killed from 1976 to 1999, 30 percent were murdered by their mothers while 31 percent were killed by their fathers. And while the strangers, acquaintances, and other family members who kill children skew heavily toward males (as does the entire class of murderers), children are as likely to be murdered by their fathers as by their mothers.

I didn't realize any of this, or think that the numbers were that high on parents killing thier own children. That blows me away! Thank you for posting this!

I found this to be most interesting. There seem to be a lot of supporters on here that think that she couldn't have possibly murdered her, because mothers don't do that, because we all have maternal extincts, etc etc, but I have been saying all along that mothers can and DO murder their children - just having the ability to give birth to a child doesn't automatically make you a mother. and that women can be just as evil as men to their own. thanks for trotting out stats to support this...I like this thread! :)

I agree. Just giving birth does not a mommy make. Some women do not have the maternal feeling or actions that others do have. My cousin is a prime example. She has three boys. She leaves them at all hours with my aunt. She may not show up again for 2 or 3 weeks. If they need a doctor my aunt has to do it because my cousin doesn't have the time (even though she is not employed). And if she can't get someone to take the boys for her she takes them out cruising and partying with her.
Some people are not meant to be parents. plain and simple.

I agree. Just giving birth does not a mommy make. Some women do not have the maternal feeling or actions that others do have. My cousin is a prime example. She has three boys. She leaves them at all hours with my aunt. She may not show up again for 2 or 3 weeks. If they need a doctor my aunt has to do it because my cousin doesn't have the time (even though she is not employed). And if she can't get someone to take the boys for her she takes them out cruising and partying with her.
Some people are not meant to be parents. plain and simple.

What I find odd is a lot of times people like your cousin often have multiple children..it's never made sense to me. I know of a few people like this and they all seem to have more than 1 or 2 kids.

What I find odd is a lot of times people like your cousin often have multiple children..it's never made sense to me. I know of a few people like this and they all seem to have more than 1 or 2 kids.

My husband has a female relative who had 3 children that her mother ended up raising because she couldn't be bothered. This relative once told me with a straight face she loved having cute cuddly babies, but she didn't like them anymore when they got to be "kids." :eek:

women do not use guns or knives as murder weapons, nor are
they intoxicated at the time of the offense (McKee & Shea, 1998). Maternal
filicide is usually committed using “hands on” methods that entail close and active
physical contact between mother and child, such as shaking, manual battering,
suffocation, or drowning, and some indirect methods such as arson or drowning
while the children are asleep or sedated

In crimes of neonaticide, which is
virtually exclusively committed by women, mothers are younger, rarely married,
poorly educated, have a low level of psychiatric disorders and psychosocial
stressors, no history of criminal behavior, and do not attempt suicide after the
murders

sound like anyone we know?

Incest does not discriminate. It happens in families that are financially-privileged, as well as those of low socio-economic status. It happens to those of all racial and ethnic descent, and to those of all religious traditions. Victims of incest are boys and girls, infants and adolescents. Incest occurs between fathers and daughters, fathers and sons, mothers and daughters and mothers and sons. Perpetrators of incest can be aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, step-parents, step-children, grandparents and grandchildren. In addition, incest offenders can be persons without a direct blood or legal relationship to the victim such as a parent's lover or live-in nanny, housekeeper, etc. -- as this abuse takes place within the confines of the family and the home environment (Vanderbilt, 1992). The study of a nationally representative sample of state prisoners serving time for violent crime in 1991 revealed that 20 percent (20%) of their crimes were committed against children, and three out of four prisoners who victimized a child reported the crime took place in their own home or in the victim's home (Greenfeld, 1996).

http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?dbName=DocumentViewer&DocumentID=32360

Incest has been cited as the most common form of child abuse. Studies conclude that 43 percent (43%) of the children who are abused are abused by family members, 33 percent (33%) are abused by someone they know, and the remaining 24 percent (24%) are sexually abused by strangers (Hayes, 1990). Other research indicates that over 10 million Americans have been victims of incest.
http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?dbName=DocumentViewer&DocumentID=32360[/QUOTE]

10 million ~ wow! Its scary how many sick people are in this world.

This doesn't surprise me. A woman in Greenville County SC was arrested during the summer because they found she was giving birth to babies and just hiding them around her house. I believe it was 6 or 7 babies they found with the last that was just thrown under her sink. Her husband called the cops when he found this one. Nobody knew she was pregnant as she was a healthy size woman.

I can't believe how many sick people there are out there. :eek: How can you lock your child in a trunk and then walk off as he cries? Unbelievable!!

I can't believe how many sick people there are out there. :eek: How can you lock your child in a trunk and then walk off as he cries? Unbelievable!!

There are a lot of sick,deranged,people in the world. You, I and just about everyone on this board could not even think about physically or mentally harming a child. I grew up with a cop as a father and have heard a lot of stories. The sad part is, it will never stop. When stuff like this happens it makes me realize just how lucky I was to have a stable family life. There is nothing we can do to stop it. All we can do is hope that justice is served in the name of the innocent victims.

Unfreaken believable, what the heck is wrong with some people??

Poppy

IIRC the last time anyone other than Casey was close to the trunk was George and we don't know if he was close enough to smell anything on the 24th. If that story is to be believed. Tony was at Casey's house 2 times but don't know if it was in her car or his jeep. I believe there is only a 4 day window that someone could have smelled something 24th/27th. Tony said that Casey was waiting outside of the car when he picked her up at Amscot. I think that time frame will be very telling.

I am literally sick to my stomach! What the hell is wrong with people?! It is so sad that some people can't have children and then there is TONS of people having children that could care less about them. I guess some parents think THEY are more important than their children! jmo

"The case is part of a recent series of such incidents. In the last month, there have been at least four incidents statewide involving children left in vehicles. Three of them died, including a 5-month-old San Jose boy who died last week after his father left him in a car in which temperatures soared to more than 100 degrees."

This quote is from the 2nd link.

I was disgusted at how many articles you found about this, and reading them only made it worse. As noted in the above paragraph, in one month there were 4 incidents where parents did the same thing. Obviously, it is a much more prevelant situation than we realize.

My question is how many were using the trunk babysitter as an option to keep their job versus using the trunk babysitter to feed an addiction? Over the years I have heard of people leaving thier children in thier cars to go gambling or while they are in the bar. I truly despise these people, and I feel Casey falls into this category.

Thinking about this made me think about the situation with Lauren (the gal that babysat Caylee for free) and how long Casey had been working her lies. I have been thinking for a long time that Casey's personality issues had been in existance much longer than we anticipated, but the entire babysitting situation is proof positive that Casey had the potential to be dangerously neglectful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni