1228 users online (199 members and 1029 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Casey Anthony Grand Jury Meeting Details Leaked

From channel 13 news website.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2...ls_leaked.html

ORLANDO -- Casey Anthony's defense team and neighbors in her family's community are outraged that the grand jury will meet, and that information on the meeting was leaked to the media.
    Last edited by JBean; 10-13-2008 at 01:36 AM. Reason: copyright infringement only post a couple sentences and a link please :)

I had no clue that the info was leaked? Anyone else?

I wondered about that. This grand jury has been seated for several weeks, so undoubtedly many, many people know who is on it. Imagine, have you ever had a co-worker on a grand jury? They are frequently called away from work many times during the term of service. People around and in the lives of who-ever is serving, must know it. I can't imagine the pressure of KNOWING you are on that grand jury and being called in Tuesday for a special session. They have to know what's coming. It doesn't seem fair, but on the other hand, most grand juries indict all cases. It IS one-sided and you only hear the prosecutions side of things, so naturally they will get an indictment. Really, an indictment doesn't mean a whole lot. I think that's what JB meant about a ham sandwich being indicted.

That fact that a grand jury will hear a case is not secret. Just google "grand jury will hear". They can't divulge the proceedings or name the members of the grand jury.

Casey Anthony's defense team and neighbors in her family's community are outraged that the grand jury will meet, and that information on the meeting was leaked to the media.
    I get what you are saying Marple, that is why it surprised me to read the line above that the defense and neighbors (neighbors that are supporters?) are angry.

A state can seat a grand jury for any case they want to, not just capital cases.

The Supreme Court states the importance of secrecy but does not mandate it. IIRC, Florida grand jury's are routinely seated, and not done in secret for the most part.

IMO, the article is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Quote Originally Posted by newuser View Post
    I wondered about that. This grand jury has been seated for several weeks, so undoubtedly many, many people know who is on it. Imagine, have you ever had a co-worker on a grand jury? They are frequently called away from work many times during the term of service. People around and in the lives of who-ever is serving, must know it. I can't imagine the pressure of KNOWING you are on that grand jury and being called in Tuesday for a special session. They have to know what's coming. It doesn't seem fair, but on the other hand, most grand juries indict all cases. It IS one-sided and you only hear the prosecutions side of things, so naturally they will get an indictment. Really, an indictment doesn't mean a whole lot. I think that's what JB meant about a ham sandwich being indicted.
    GJ do NOT always indict. To say they do is fallacious. I don't think most prosecutions bring cases before a grand jury unless they are pretty sure the accused will be indicted. It is not necessarily a "rubber stamp."

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/footb...092408.article

http://vivirlatino.com/2008/07/14/gr...test-today.php

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C1A9669C8B63

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...619C94669ED7CF

http://www.sikhcoalition.org/advisor...kGrandJury.htm

of course, none of the above are ham sandwiches, so Baez might be correct on that one subject. I only listed the first five that showed up. The GJ does NOT " indict all cases"
    I have a constitutional right to my opinion and I am stating it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Samijeansg View Post
    I get what you are saying Marple, that is why it surprised me to read the line above that the defense and neighbors (neighbors that are supporters?) are angry.
    Isnt that strange? The neighbors are supporters and are upset about this? I dont get it..And the contents of the GJ havent even happened yet. Is it pertinent that people know the case will be heard? Thats secret?

I don't know why the neighbors would be "outraged". I understand the defense being mad but the neighbors? Looks like they'd be glad that things were finally moving along!

Quote Originally Posted by diane952 View Post
    Isnt that strange? The neighbors are supporters and are upset about this? I dont get it..And the contents of the GJ havent even happened yet. Is it pertinent that people know the case will be heard? Thats secret?
    Shhhhhh!! We can't talk about it. It's a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by diane952 View Post
    Well only one neighbor was quoted and is misinformed at that. The fact a GJ is seated to hear a case is not mandated to being kept secret. Now the testimony is another matter....and that hasn't happened yet.

ORLANDO -- Casey Anthony's defense team and neighbors in her family's community are outraged that the grand jury will meet, and that information on the meeting was leaked to the media.
    Information that 15 to 21 randomly chosen people will decide Tuesday whether Casey Anthony is indicted on homicide charges was leaked earlier in the week.
    The Supreme Court states the secrecy to all grand jury proceedings is of the utmost importance to protect grand jury members from outside pressure or intimidation.
    "I thought that info was confidential," said Shelly Soltis, a resident of Lee Vista. "I don't know how it got leaked or where you would even find the information for the community to be involved in that, to see what's going on. I was very surprised that press knew all about this jury."
    Florida only holds a grand jury for capital cases, any crime for which the maximum punishment is death.
    Although it has been quiet in the Anthony neighborhood, residents said they just want the hearing to be over with, so they can start getting life back to normal, without protesters or media.
    This is absolutely right, leaking this information is wrong.

I had no clue that the info was leaked? Anyone else?
    If it wasn't leaked then how do we know about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Marple View Post
    That fact that a grand jury will hear a case is not secret. Just google "grand jury will hear". They can't divulge the proceedings or name the members of the grand jury.
    SECRECY OF GRAND JURY PROCEEDINGS
    Secrecy as to all grand jury proceedings is of the utmost importance. This includes not only the actions upon an indictment or a presentment but even the fact that any such matter was considered, or any witness was called. It is only in this manner that the grand jurors themselves can be protected from pressure by persons who may be involved by the action of the grand jury. Secrecy also is the only protection that a witness may have before a grand jury, which will protect the witness from being tampered with or intimidated before testifying at the trial. Further, secrecy may prevent one under indictment, or subject to indictment, from escaping while the issue of indictment is under consideration. It also should be remembered that secrecy may encourage witnesses to give the grand jury frankly and candidly any knowledge they may have concerning crime or corruption. Lastly, and of equal importance to all other consideration of secrecy, is the fact that an innocent person who has been subjected to a charge but not indicted should be protected from the embarrassment and disgrace attendant upon the making of a charge before a grand jury.
    The pledge of secrecy is paramount. It also is permanent.
    A grand juror will not communicate to family, friends, associates, or anyone concerning any matter that takes place in the grand jury room. The only time this veil of secrecy may be lifted is by order of the court after a full hearing, and then only in exceptional cases.

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/j...ryhandbook.rtf

I wish it were true that the GJ indicts in every case. D. Peterson and C. Stebic would be in jail right now. (Hopefully, they are still debating on those indictments tho!)
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Information that 15 to 21 randomly chosen people will decide Tuesday whether Casey Anthony is indicted on homicide charges was leaked earlier in the week.
    The Supreme Court states the secrecy to all grand jury proceedings is of the utmost importance to protect grand jury members from outside pressure or intimidation.
    "I thought that info was confidential," said Shelly Soltis, a resident of Lee Vista. "I don't know how it got leaked or where you would even find the information for the community to be involved in that, to see what's going on. I was very surprised that press knew all about this jury."
    Florida only holds a grand jury for capital cases, any crime for which the maximum punishment is death.
    Although it has been quiet in the Anthony neighborhood, residents said they just want the hearing to be over with, so they can start getting life back to normal, without protesters or media.

I don't see a single quote from a "neighbor" of the Anthony's. Lee Vista is NOT East Orlando where the Anthonys live. Overgeneralization by the press, I'd say
    I have a constitutional right to my opinion and I am stating it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marple View Post
    I didn't think it was secret either. I just thought WHAT was discussed in a GJ session was off limits. I have read many times about a case being taken before a grand jury.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast