OR OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008

dreamweaver

Reaction score

David's mountain cabin burned Sept. 4, 2008. A badly burned body found inside. No I.D. at this time.
Remains sent to Texas DNA lab.
Sheriff feels a mysterious death. Family feels it is murder of David.

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) as of January 30, 2023>

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver

<modsnip: broken link> David E. Lewis, 46, was found dead Sept. 4 in the burned remains of a cabin he had rented for decades on Dead Indian Memorial Road. An autopsy confirmed that he was killed before the fire was set with accelerants, Fogarty said.

Investigators suspect someone who knew Lewis had ventured up the long driveway to his secluded mountaintop cabin, then had come inside and killed him. Detectives aren't disclosing how Lewis died. They also note that the total destruction of the cabin has eliminated much evidence.

Lewis was a longtime area resident, known for protecting the land and helping neighbors, his family said.

"We've talked to a lot of people," Fogarty said, listing friends, family, neighbors, people Lewis did work for, teens partying at a nearby quarry and bow hunters stopped in the area the night before Lewis' death.

"There's no business deal or personal relationship gone bad that we can see," Fogarty said. "There's no clear motive."

originally posted by dreamweaver: <modsnip: broken link>

DAVID E LEWIS. Found dead 9/4/08, in his burned down cabin.
Another cabin was burned down that night.

He lived about 15 miles from Ashland, Or in the mountains.

It appears to be arson and murder.

Have there been any updates on this case ? <modsnip: rumor/no source link>

I got into this thread researching a case and this came into it kind like 3rd hand research from some WI. cold cases..

I read little bit. Appears something sure not right in what appears wonderfully nice lake and forest area.

What little I read and I got National Forest bumps up to my many acres of land and across the road few miles there a lake.. I never ever heard govt. allow anything like that before on there land.
Everything got to be moblie, none of this stay all year long deal.. You lucky to stay over a week before they will request you to leave..

They hate my ATV but I stay on my side on my own land and they know they catch any hunters on my land without a signed permit by myself take them on to jail and I will prosecute..Only my very close kin or friends get yearly permits.

Kind of sound like this poor guy was just trying to following same rules been taught to myself all my life about National Forest land.

Sad to say it but appears this poor guy got killed over Greed.

Hope they catch these people.

Dave's death is a mystery too me as well. I am surprised not much more was made of it. Two mysteries arsons, a murder, a fight between neighbors...
I visited the site put up about Dave's death but it is pretty confusing. I wish whoever runs the site would try rewriting it to make it a little more clear cut.
By my count there are way too many mysterious murders up here.

Garren Beller who and Dave Lewis who ?
Something is up in So. Oregon that two men
have been *murdered and missing* and no one
knows....what's up with law enforcments silence? <modsnip>

Well, the local news and newpapers continue to do stories on the victims here. Particularly Grubbs.

As far as Lewis, if you read that website posted upthread, it sounds like he was somewhat involved (as a whistleblower) to some strange things up at a lake. IDK for sure, the website is hard to follow.

No one local thinks the two (or the poor man that was murdered up in Central Point in a homeless camp) are connected.

Many have looked for what that ' connection ' could be between Troy Carney and Dave Lewis' deaths, but have not discovered that connection.

There are many news articles about Dave Lewis murder. There are not quite as many about Troy's murder.

Interestingly enough, yesterday, another house in the 12600 address on Dead Indian Memorial Road burned to the ground. <modsnip: broken link>

Investigators are looking into a blaze that leveled a two-story house on Dead Indian Memorial Road east of Ashland early Saturday afternoon.

Another house burned down ? ! Hmmm.....there are no such things as coincidences. Is there a link that is possible but not proven ? Isn't this four unsolved murders in one town?

Another house burned down ? ! Hmmm.....there are no such things as coincidences. Is there a link that is possible but not proven ? Isn't this four unsolved murders in one town?

Don't know if it is offical, but latest fire was caused by a heat lamp (as per Mail Tribune).

Yes, there are a few unsolved murders of recent times, but they didn't seem to be linked when I started looking into it. But, you never know.

I asked a few Ashland people today about what the heck was going on up on Dead Indian Memorial Rd, where there had been (IIRC) 3 fires in the last few years and at least one murder.

What they all said (a few separate people) was that there is an area up there that a lot of transient and drug users were known to frequent. <modsnip>

So, I kinda wonder if all the issues come from a few bad apples hangin' around causing problems?? IDK.

<modsnip: quoted post removed>

Have they ever had any leads? The locals have said that there just seems to be nothing to go on.

There are many people that come and go through Southern Oregon because of I-5, and the fact that So. Oregon tends to be somewhat of a "friendly" place for homeless people. LE has had their budget cut so many times I think it makes it really hard for them to keep track of everybody.

Link sought in unsolved murders - 09-23-2009
Authorities cite details of slayings, despite lack of other connections Police believe the murders of an Ashland man living on Dead Indian Road and a transient camping out along the Bear Creek Greenway last September might be linked. A little over a year has passed since David E. Lewis, 46, was... <modsnip: broken link>

Found this
http://topics.oregonlive.com/tag/troy dean carney/index.html

Two killings, two arsons, same day, same killer?
By Kimberly A.C. Wilson, The Oregonian
September 23, 2009, 9:40AM
Here's what else the two killings on the same day last year have in common: a middle-aged male victim, remote locations in southern Oregon, and crime scenes marred by fire. The similarities in the deaths of David E. Lewis and Troy Dean Carney persuaded detectives the murders are linked, says today's Medford Mail Tribune. "We find two men killed by... Full story »

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnonMX
Back