Today is the day (10/14/08) the Grand Jury Meets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feistyoldbroad

Reaction score
Good morning WSers!

Sadly I will be at work all day so those who can watch the local updates enjoy!
Here's hoping this is just the start of justice for Caylee.
She deserved so much more than a family who betrayed her...

Part of article.. will post the rest for ez reference!

Prosecutors today are expected to present the case against Casey Anthony -- the mother of missing 3-year-old Caylee Marie -- to members of a grand jury who will decide whether she will face more serious charges, possibly murder.

The 22-year-old mother is the main suspect in the disappearance of her daughter, who was reported missing July 15. She told detectives that she last saw Caylee in mid-June when she left the girl with a baby sitter. When Anthony returned later, both Caylee and the baby sitter were gone, she said. Authorities have not been able to find the nanny, and they question whether she exists.

Anthony is currently charged with child neglect, filing a false statement with law enforcement and check fraud.

For the grand jury, State Attorney Lawson Lamar and an assistant state attorney will question witnesses as part of the closed-door proceeding

Anthony's father, George Anthony, is expected to be one of the witnesses, a source said. Typically, detectives are called to speak before the grand jury.

How does a grand jury work?

People who have drivers licenses or state identification cards are selected at random to serve on grand juries.

They are allowed to ask witnesses questions and, if needed, ask to hear from specific witnesses. However, the state cannot force Casey Anthony to testify if she doesn't volunteer, and prosecutors must also question any witnesses who can offer evidence that could clear Anthony.

The state has to prove only probable cause to charge Anthony with a crime. Proving a case beyond a reasonable doubt is the standard for a criminal trial.

Is the grand jury open to the public?

No. What happens before a grand jury is secret. By law, witnesses, jurors and prosecutors are not allowed to talk about testimony. If they do, they may be held in contempt of court.

The media is not allowed in the grand jury proceedings. This is to ensure the witnesses and jurors are free from outside pressures.

However, participants can speak about the proceeding once the grand jury makes a decision.

What could happen?

After witnesses are questioned and evidence is presented, the jurors will talk about what they heard and will make a decision. It takes only 12 jurors to agree when deciding what to do.

The jury could opt for a lesser degree of murder, such as manslaughter.

They can issue a "true bill," which becomes an indictment once it's filed with the court. The indictment remains sealed to the public until authorities take the defendant into custody, which could happen the same day.

If jurors agree there isn't enough evidence, they can issue a "no-true bill," which means no indictment.

What happens after a no-true bill?

Prosecutors can opt to present the case again.

There is no statute of limitations for murder charges, so the state can pursue them at any time.

Since Cindy and Lee will not be testifying, will they be allowed in the room when George is testifying? Does anyone know?

I sure hope not, because I do feel, based on his LE interview, that George will be open and honest if Cindy and Lee aren't there.

ETA: Good morning and Happy Grand Jury Day!!

Since Cindy and Lee will not be testifying, will they be allowed in the room when George is testifying? Does anyone know?

I sure hope not, because I do feel, based on his LE interview, that George will be open and honest if Cindy and Lee aren't there.

I don't see how Cindy or Lee would have the right to observe secret proceedings. It is my understanding that no one except participants are allowed to attend.

No, no one can be in there at any time other than the person testifying, the state and the jury. Not even a judge.

How long will it take the GJ to make a decision?

Good morning WSers!

Sadly I will be at work all day so those who can watch the local updates enjoy!
Here's hoping this is just the start of justice for Caylee.
She deserved so much more than a family who betrayed her...

But what is testified during the Grand Jury session will be kept secret, if Florida law is the same as Tennessee. The only thing we will know at the end of the session is if they True Bill it or not. If they True Bill it, she will be immediately arrested.

We'll be in withdrawal until the trial begins.

I don't see a snow ball's chance in hedoubleL that she will strut through this event. Puns intended. <snort>

~~~~~~~~~~ Married to a Grand Jury Foreman ~~~~~~~~~~

How long will it take the GJ to make a decision?

That would depend on the amount of evidence they produced and how long that would take and how long the jury discusses it before taking a vote. Could be short, could be long, we just don't know.

I am almost possitive CA is upset that the GJ isnt calling her to tesify in this. This could be part of the reason for bashing the state attorney in her recent videos 10-13-08....MHO!

I am almost possitive CA is upset that the GJ isnt calling her to tesify in this. This could be part of the reason for bashing the state attorney in her recent videos 10-13-08....MHO!

And I can understand why they didn't...they are looking for the truth here. :rolleyes: :)

Anthony's father, George Anthony, is expected to be one of the witnesses, a source said. Typically, detectives are called to speak before the grand jury.

I wouldn't want to be GA, can you imagine the tension in that house, living with CA and KC? I would be afraid if I was him. I really would.

I just hope when I round home tonight after an exhausting day that I will hear the news that Casey was indicted for murder and is spending the night behind bars.

Thank you, Softsoul and Carlie! Just wanted to make sure.

Poor George. I can hear it now. "Now don't say this and don't say that and make sure you don't say anything about that other thing and on and on and on and on".

George: "Yes, dear."

Thank you, Softsoul and Carlie! Just wanted to make sure.

Poor George. I can hear it now. "Now don't say this and don't say that and make sure you don't say anything about that other thing and on and on and on and on".

George: "Yes, dear."

I think George will testify in the same manner as his interview with LE. CA was not present at that either. Once he is away from her, behind closed doors, I have every faith that he will tell the truth. And there is no way that CA can find out what he really said.

I think George will testify in the same manner as his interview with LE. CA was not present at that either. Once he is away from her, behind closed doors, I have every faith that he will tell the truth. And there is no way that CA can find out what he really said.

It seems like when he gets away from them and it's man to man and they show him a little respect, it's rare for him and he opens up. :)

Supposedly we will have reports off and on all day from the reporters outside from what they can see. (which may not be much) The media talked like they will even break into local programming off and on with any news. moo

I AGREE!!! she's such a control freak, it's killing her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23