1117 users online (246 members and 871 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WA - Parents starve girl: 14 yo weighs 48 lbs.

SEATTLE - A father and stepmother were charged with withholding their 14-year-old daughter's food and water so drastically that she weighed only 48 pounds, authorities said.

Jon Pomeroy, 43, and his wife, Rebecca Long, 44, could face as much as four years in prison if convicted of criminal mistreatment, prosecutor's spokesman Dan Donohoe said. The couple were released on bail late Monday after the charges were brought.

The girl was removed from the family home near Carnation, about 20 miles east of Seattle, in August after a neighbor called child welfare authorities.

Link:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081014/...CRKIkPSVFH2ocA
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Oh my gosh, that poor girl! That is less than what my 9 year old weighs and he is small for his age. I hope that both these "parents" are given some jail house justice for this.

This girls father failed her miserably! It sounds like he just let his new wife torture this young girl however she saw fit. Even if convicted, they'd only get 4 years at the most. A teacher did the right thing years ago and reported her concerns, yet nothing seemed to have been done and the treatment just got worse, how very sad. Because of the years of malnutrition, I don't know if this young child can make a full recovery, I hope she is and I hope she can go forward with her life and find happiness and love. Her living a good life will no doubt upset the step-mother. I wish these so called parents could get a taste of what it's like to survive on 6 ounces of water a day. VB
    Boyfriends and girlfriends are not Babysitters.
    Just because you want to be with somebody does not mean they will take care of your children.

In 2005 school officials reported to child services about this poor girl. A case worker went to the house and this wench tells them she locks the girl up because she steals things. Social worker recommends counseling and closes the case?

Areyafreakinkiddinme?

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/30988584.html

This story makes me sick!

absolutely absurd....My 4 year old weighs 45 lbs and she isn't anywhere near over weight (tall and thin)
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

I hope they starve them in jail. They'll already be locked up.

Send that little girl to me. All I do is feed people! I would take her and love her in a second.

Man that father should be ashamed!! He must have just not cared to do nothing for his own kid. This is so sad and disgusting how they treated her.

Quote Originally Posted by MissieMt View Post
    absolutely absurd....My 4 year old weighs 45 lbs and she isn't anywhere near over weight (tall and thin)
    My 8 year old weighs 95! This story hurt my heart.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

My 13 year old weighs 105 and is considered thin for her age.

So Cal Redlands, CA to be exact. We call it Inland Empire!
    That's horrific! My 6 year old weighs 63 pounds! I can't even imagine poor thing. I know when I brush my teeth I have to drink water after because toothpaste makes me thirsty.
    The world is divided into two kinds of people: those who have tattoos, and those who are afraid of people with tattoos. ~Author Unknown

Mother is the name for God on the hearts and lips of all children.

Not Alabama but Sweet Home just the same , SC
    This just breaks my heart! My 7 year old is tall and thin and ways 60 , my 9 year old daughter 100 and my son who will be 13 in a couple of weeks is about 125 . I have been in recovery for 3 years from anorexia but my weight was never anything near this severe . I have done alot of damage to my body and many anorectics bodies never really completely heal from the years of starving themselves. This poor baby did not do this to her body but I am afraid will have many long term consequences . This poor child is in my prayers!

By the way my 4 year old weighs about 35 lbs so this is definitely ridiculous, I cant imagine how bad she looked.

The true horror this child has been through. I still cannot imagine the mindset of such abusive parents. I would literally die for my own. What the hell is wrong with people???

I wish I could take her within my arms, so gentle, and give her the heartfelt comfort that this is not what love is. Enough that she would trust that is possible. I so wish I could.
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

September 2009:

Four days after her husband pleaded guilty to similar charges, a Carnation woman accused of starving her 14-year-old stepdaughter entered a modified guilty plea Friday morning to denying the girl food and water as punishment.
    Despite acknowledging that she'd likely be found guilty had the case gone to trial, Rebecca A. Long intends to ask that she be spared any prison time in the long-running abuse of the girl, her attorney said. Leniency is due her, the 45-year-old claims, because she suffers from a mental illness commonly known as multiple personality disorder
    http://m.seattlepi.com/local/article...ims-889369.php

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast