State Attorney's Office Responds To Political Attack

liltigress

Fighting The Good Fight
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...and-jury-indicts-101308,0,459945.story?page=2

3:41 p.m. Randy Means, a spokesman for the State Attorney's Office, recently issued this statement in response to allegations his office is using Casey Anthony's case for State Attorney Lawson Lamar's political benefit.

Means wrote in an email to the Orlando Sentinel that there "is an old axiom in law enforcement that goes 'When defense attorneys can't successfully attack the evidence they then attack the evidence collector. If this fails you then attack the prosecutor.....This is not the first time we have seen such a ploy as this. "All investigations, to include homicide investigations, have a chronological process and this case is no different. In late September, the Orange County Sheriff's Office, FBI and this office received a letter of confirmation from the University of Tennessee. They had concluded their examination of the forensic material sent to them by law enforcement contained relevant information to the disappearance of Caylee Anthony. "While I am not at liberty to discuss the specific nature of the material, I will tell you that this correspondence is dated very late September. This was the piece of the puzzle, as prosecutors, we were waiting for before we could appropriately convene the Grand Jury. "Normally making arrangements for the Grand Jurors will take a week or two, which leads us to today. Sufficient admissible evidence has been collected and evaluated and it is now the state's duty to seek justice. "As much as I would like to respond to these apparent smoke and mirror allegations, I am prohibited from doing so, as is the Defense, as described in the Cannons of Ethics. I believe the defense attorney's wild allegations serve no legitimate purpose other than to obfuscate the search for the truth. We will continue to prosecute this case in the courts and not in the media.

Good find Tigress!

Very good response, I think. Question for you legal beagles, what exactly is this line below about?

""As much as I would like to respond to these apparent smoke and mirror allegations, I am prohibited from doing so, as is the Defense, as described in the Cannons of Ethics."

This little piece is just full of interesting information, isn't it?

Good find Tigress!

Very good response, I think. Question for you legal beagles, what exactly is this line below about?

""As much as I would like to respond to these apparent smoke and mirror allegations, I am prohibited from doing so, as is the Defense, as described in the Cannons of Ethics."

I can't take credit for this find. It is in the Daily Updates thread but I felt it deserved it's own. This is some good stuff.

I took that to mean Baez forgot to read the part in the Cannons of Ethics about spouting off stupid allegations.

I can't take credit for this find. It is in the Daily Updates thread but I felt it deserved it's own. This is some good stuff.

I took that to mean Baez forgot to read the part in the Cannons of Ethics about spouting off stupid allegations.

That must be why he said in his press conference that he wouldn't take part in such allegations even though he already had the day before. He must have got a phone call advising him or something.

In late September, the Orange County Sheriff's Office, FBI and this office received a letter of confirmation from the University of Tennessee. They had concluded their examination of the forensic material sent to them by law enforcement contained relevant information to the disappearance of Caylee Anthony.

This was the piece of the puzzle, as prosecutors, we were waiting for before we could appropriately convene the Grand Jury.

Sufficient admissible evidence has been collected and evaluated and it is now the state's duty to seek justice.

These 3 statements tell me they have concrete proof in their hands that Caylee is gone. This evidence is most likely what was presented in the GJ yesterday that sold the jurors in order to make a decision in only 30 minutes

I agree that this last forensic evidence is definitive. Is there a reason that LE would not approach the family with a victim services person or counsellor on hand to explain that their little granddaughter is deceased? Is there a reason they need to wait until trial?

Allow me to add this tidbit - not worthy of it's own thread, but relevant to this particular State Attorney's office (I posted this in another thread, but it's definitely relevant here). I think it shows just how professional this SA's office is in more than one way, such as the above statement.

Some interesting facts from WFTV's 5 PM newscast today:

The very first trial in the USA which resulted in a conviction of a person from DNA evidence was right here in Orange County FL, and the State Attorney at that time was our very own Lawson Lamar. (1987 Tommy Lee Andrews trial, convicted of 2 rapes).

In addition, the prosecutor for Andrews' trial will be assisting on Casey's trial.

I found the following site informative:

http://www.answers.com/topic/canons-of-ethics

*snip*

The canons of ethics have been replaced by the code of Professional Responsibility which sets forth the standards of professional conduct prescribed for lawyers in their professional dealings.

(at link - click on Professional Responsibility)

The very first trial in the USA which resulted in a conviction of a person from DNA evidence was right here in Orange County FL, and the State Attorney at that time was our very own Lawson Lamar. (1987 Tommy Lee Andrews trial, convicted of 2 rapes).

In addition, the prosecutor for Andrews' trial will be assisting on Casey's trial.

:woohoo: Awesome!

Very good response. :clap: I like how they go back and say take that in thier own words. This is going to show CA that the State is afraid of no one.

hehehehehe

He's basically saying Baez is contributing to the tabloid news by making such stupid claims. He's also saying in a nicely put roundabout way, Baez is an idiot and has no case! LMAO Good find. I love it.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...and-jury-indicts-101308,0,459945.story?page=2

3:41 p.m. Randy Means, a spokesman for the State Attorney's Office, recently issued this statement in response to allegations his office is using Casey Anthony's case for State Attorney Lawson Lamar's political benefit.

Means wrote in an email to the Orlando Sentinel that there "is an old axiom in law enforcement that goes 'When defense attorneys can't successfully attack the evidence they then attack the evidence collector. If this fails you then attack the prosecutor.....This is not the first time we have seen such a ploy as this. "All investigations, to include homicide investigations, have a chronological process and this case is no different. In late September, the Orange County Sheriff's Office, FBI and this office received a letter of confirmation from the University of Tennessee. They had concluded their examination of the forensic material sent to them by law enforcement contained relevant information to the disappearance of Caylee Anthony. "While I am not at liberty to discuss the specific nature of the material, I will tell you that this correspondence is dated very late September. This was the piece of the puzzle, as prosecutors, we were waiting for before we could appropriately convene the Grand Jury. "Normally making arrangements for the Grand Jurors will take a week or two, which leads us to today. Sufficient admissible evidence has been collected and evaluated and it is now the state's duty to seek justice. "As much as I would like to respond to these apparent smoke and mirror allegations, I am prohibited from doing so, as is the Defense, as described in the Cannons of Ethics. I believe the defense attorney's wild allegations serve no legitimate purpose other than to obfuscate the search for the truth. We will continue to prosecute this case in the courts and not in the media.
Bless him!

I agree that this last forensic evidence is definitive. Is there a reason that LE would not approach the family with a victim services person or counsellor on hand to explain that their little granddaughter is deceased? Is there a reason they need to wait until trial?

We don't know that LE hasn't tried.

I think that the A's won't believe a thing LE or the SA says anyway. They're in their own little world, pretending all is well and Caylee will be home any day, just like KC is telling them.:bang:

Very good question. I wish we could know what they do in these situations with no body.

Yet, even with a body presented to them and told it is Caylee, the A's won't believe it and would claim the DNA testing was botched.

snipped for length:

I think Casey picked the wrong county to commit this crime in. Apparently, Orange County, FL is no stranger to "cutting edge" forensic technology.

This little piece is just full of interesting information, isn't it?
He could have just easily said "consider the source"!! Pretty bad when an attorney has to be reminded of what's ethical if you ask me.

We don't know that LE hasn't tried.

I think that the A's won't believe a thing LE or the SA says anyway. They're in their own little world, pretending all is well and Caylee will be home any day, just like KC is telling them.:bang:
I'm just wondering how long they'll be able to keep it up.

"As much as I would like to respond to these apparent smoke and mirror allegations, I am prohibited from doing so, as is the Defense, as described in the Cannons of Ethics. I believe the defense attorney's wild allegations serve no legitimate purpose other than to obfuscate the search for the truth. We will continue to prosecute this case in the courts and not in the media.

He got in the media and said Jose's little game was smoke and mirrors and wild allegations, then said his code prevented him from responding.

If I could say I like ice cream I would tell you that Pralines and cream is my favorite. I am ethically barred from telling you so so I will say nothing.

You still come away knowing what my favorite ice cream is.

I reckon that was a back-handed yotch slap.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back