Last Living Titanic Survivor Auctioning Off Memento's to Pay for Healthcare

gaia227

I have never taken any exercise except sleeping an
Reaction score
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081016/en_afp/britaintitanichistoryauction

No one should have to do this. Those things should be passed down to her family members not sold so she can afford the nursing home.

My step-grandmother (dad's wifes mother) has been in an assisted living facility for a couple years now and her her entire savings is gone. She is down to only a few thousand dollars. I think her monthly 'rent' is over $4000......which is ridiculous for obvious reasons but moreso because many of the nurses are downright mean. They ignore her when she pushes the button to call them to help her. She has a broken back for god's sake and one time no nurse ever showed up and she ended up having an accident in her bed and was then scolded for it and told if she keeps 'mis-behaving' they will have to put her in a nursing home. :furious:
G-MA's is still sharp as a tack and was of course embarrassed and then to have even more of her dignity taken away by being treated like a child.....it makes me so mad. My other grandmother was in a nursing home and one or maybe more stole several pieces of jewelry from her including the necklace she had worn since my mom gave it to her some 40 yrs prior.

Something has to change.

omg :( i wish i could donate and help ..

omg :( i wish i could donate and help ..

That's an idea! I didn't even think of it. Surely since her story is getting international attention there will be a donation site set-up for her.

I will try to find that out.

I remember listening to this woman talk about her family on a Titanic documentary. I'm so sad for her to have to sell these items.

I agree, this is very sad, however there are countless others who are in the same situation. How many thousands are out there who have absolutly nothing of value to sell? At least she has not had someone already come along and steal these things from her and will be able to get some money. It still surprises me how most never seem to give any thought about how it really is for the elderly and what kind of security and care they have, or don't have. Don't they understand that it will be themselves later in life in the same situation?
Not a single one of us is guaranteed to not end up in a nursing home, in fact many of us will live our last years in one.
The pay for people working in them is horrible, when inspections are done suddenly there are people running all over the place to make it all look good, when inspections are done it is back to normal. Even the most caring worker is overwhelmed and can not get everything done that needs it.
I hope she gets a good price for the items and can be comfortable in her final years, there was no mention of her having family so it might be that there was no one to inherit the items anyway and sorry but if there is family then they should be helping her out already and if they arent then they don't deserve it.

VB

Long term care insurance!! If you buy it while you are young the monthly premiums are low. That's what I did. I have no kids and all of my siblings will probably go before I do (health issues), my hubby is older and may not be there to care for me. So who am I to depend on?? I believe in planning ahead.
Costs for long term care are OUTRAGEOUS and most people will be unprepared. My own mom had to go to the only nursing home that would take medicaid in our area, because she had no insurance and we could not pay 4k a month, just didn't have it. And some of the employees at that place didn't have the least bit of sense. I couldn't believe the conditions at times. I spent hours there everyday, and the things I saw scared the crap out of me.

See this just isnt right. The elderly need help the most and yet they have to struggle. Our electric company has this thing where they take a dollar out of every month of your electric bill and donate it to the elderly for their electric bill, you have to sign up for it and we did. I feel like im doin a little at least.

I agree, this is very sad, however there are countless others who are in the same situation. How many thousands are out there who have absolutly nothing of value to sell? At least she has not had someone already come along and steal these things from her and will be able to get some money. It still surprises me how most never seem to give any thought about how it really is for the elderly and what kind of security and care they have, or don't have. Don't they understand that it will be themselves later in life in the same situation?
Not a single one of us is guaranteed to not end up in a nursing home, in fact many of us will live our last years in one.
The pay for people working in them is horrible, when inspections are done suddenly there are people running all over the place to make it all look good, when inspections are done it is back to normal. Even the most caring worker is overwhelmed and can not get everything done that needs it.
I hope she gets a good price for the items and can be comfortable in her final years, there was no mention of her having family so it might be that there was no one to inherit the items anyway and sorry but if there is family then they should be helping her out already and if they arent then they don't deserve it.

VB
those are once in a lifetime things that shouldnt ever have to be sold though .. surely she has some family to pass them onto .. if i had the money id help donate but with 2 kids and my mom and my/hubbys wage sucks its kinda hard to atm .. she was lucky to get off that ship alive ..if i were her i wouldnt want to give them up either .. no elderly person should ever have to worry in their last years ..i take care of my mom so she doesnt have to be in a nursing home and its hard but so worth it to me

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back