Will Casey's Age Impact the Outcome Of her Trial and Sentencing?

frenchvixen

Reaction score
I'm new to this thread and have been lurking around and reading as much as I can. After Casey was indicted, I became concerned that some jury members (especially women) may have a problem sentencing her to life because of her age. I don't even know if there has even been a young woman put to death close to Casey's age.

This may concern an jury member (and there is always one of those on the jury) who feels she is guilty but does not have 100% (body) proof that she did this.

I'm new to this thread and have been lurking around and reading as much as I can. After Casey was indicted, I became concerned that some jury members (especially women) may have a problem sentencing her to life because of her age. I don't even know if there has even been a young woman put to death close to Casey's age.

This may concern an jury member (and there is always one of those on the jury) who feels she is guilty but does not have 100% (body) proof that she did this.
I would be inclined to agree with you except for one thing. KC's own words in taped calls are going to wipe a lot of that sympathy out. IMO she is not a sympathetic character.
I think she has painted herself as such a monster that it is going to overshadow her age. Actually,the fact that she never broke down and truly had outward concern for Caylee is going to overshadow everything.

jmho of course.

ETA: I am opposed to the death penalty so I wouldn't be able to put her to death anyway..but that is why I would never be allowed to serve on that jury.

This is my thoughts on this..

I was on a murder trial about 10 years ago

During jury selection the judge asks each and every juror if they have a problem with the possible sentence and if they feel they cannot be fair and impartial or find a defendent guilty because of age, race, sex, etc. In fact, the judge tells each juror that they CAN'T consider what the possible sentence could be in their deliberations of guilt/non guilt in the crime.

They are questioned pretty thoroughly (voir dire) (sp?) by the Judge, Prosecutors and Defense Attorney and weed out who they feel would have a problem

Now if it's a death penalty case, the case is done in 2 parts - first the guilt phase, then the consideration of death penalty phase - so one really has nothing to do with the other. I'm probably not explaining it too well

I think the age of the victim will have more impact on the jurors, than the age of the killer.

Yes. She's over 18 years old and will be treated like any other adult. There is no mitigation for "youth." The legislatures made that cut. No soft juvie treatment here. Let's go the other way. Caylee was only 2 years old and fully relied on her mommy to keep her safe. Caylee lost about 98 years of life. She never got to live her life.

I would be inclined to agree with you except for one thing. KC's own words in taped calls are going to wipe a lot of that sympathy out. IMO she is not a sympathetic character.
I think she has painted herself as such a monster that it is going to overshadow her age. Actually,the fact that she never broke down and truly had outward concern for Caylee is going to overshadow everything.

jmho of course.

ETA: I am opposed to the death penalty so I wouldn't be able to put her to death anyway..but that is why I would never be allowed to serve on that jury.

What JBean said.

I think the age of the victim will have more impact on the jurors, than the age of the killer.

You are right! The age of the victim is listed as an aggravating factor in the statutes handed down by the Legislature of the State of Florida. The jury has to follow the statutes. If they find the victim is under 12 years old, that's an aggravating factor.

jmho of course.

Bean,
I agree completely. No sympathy and the words chosen will definitely play against her. Her careless and reckless lifestyle will also be a huge factor.

I could not be a jury member either.

Lil

You are right! The age of the victim is listed as an aggravating factor in the statutes handed down by the Legislature of the State of Florida. The jury has to follow the statutes. If they find the victim is under 12 years old, that's an aggravating factor.

Caylee would be defenseless against Casey imo.

Oh good point.

But i think a young mother could be extremely sympathetic to a jury. But the minute "Huge Waste" is heard from KC's own mouth..well that takes care of that.

Oh good point.

But i think a young mother could be extremely sympathetic to a jury. But the minute "Huge Waste" is heard from KC's own mouth..well that takes care of that.

I agree most young mothers could be sympathetic, just not this young "mother" (hate even giving her that title!), not with her actions and her lack of emotion during and after her daughter went missing.

Welcome frenchvixen! :)

In this particular case, I think Casey's behavior has revealed her to be a monster, devoid of empathy and concerned only for herself. I can't see a jury being persuaded by Casey's youth in the face of the heinous crime she's committed. The jury will be sympathetic to the victim, a helpless baby.

If they find out exactly how Caylee died then i'd be more confident in the DP being handed down.

I doubt that they/we will though.

MOO

And what about that MySpace post of hers that said "Apparently I threatened to kill someone last night. GOOD TIMES."

Wow.

I believe a woman would come closer to giving her the DP sentence. I know I would. I believe because of her callous disregard for her child and her parents that her age will not be a factor. There are a lot of women who have been given the DP at her age.

I don't care if they are 20 or 90, if they kill a child - BURN UM in my opinion.

I agree with you. That's how it should be but the jury is incredibly powerful. I have a feeling that JB and his crew are going to give Casey a personality overhaul and present her as a misguided youth. I keep thinking of the movie Chicago. The sleazy lawyer (how appropriate) telling his client to blame it on alcohol.

JB already has her wearing librarian glasses and "office" attire. Can you imagine how she will dress for court? Certainly not like she did when was going to Fusian after she disposed of Caylee. Remember how OJ charmed the jury (the first time)? If she manages to manipulate the jury into thinking that she is a poor innocent girl who has been wronged AND her family is 100% siding with her, she may get a lesser sentence and by the time she gets credit for good behavior and all she'll serve 20 years and still be out in time to make more babies!!!

Caylee would be defenseless against Casey imo.

Defenseless is a nice word for it. My mind keeps telling me there's a horror here that KC put that little sweetheart through that is enough to justify the death penalty. Here's what I envision happened. :furious::furious::furious:

After months (years) of KC lying to her mother to get her own way, KC had a child, didn't identify the father (grossly wrong for Caylee on so many levels), KC convinced GA and CA that she was working and thinking about an apartment. CA went to a therapist. The therapist, without thinking of the consequences for KC, much less Caylee, glibly tells CA to hold KC's feet to the fire and kick her out. The catalyst comes when CA discovers KC has stolen money from GGF. Huge verbal fight. Caylee had to be upset. Oh, KC also emotionally and verbally abuses Caylee with name calling and who knows what else. Caylee is starting to talk.

KC leaves the house in a rage. She comes back in the morning of the 16th. Now she's on a silent rage seeking revenge. She takes clothing for KC, but only takes a princess dress (Belle's ball gown -- not the Minnie dress) and Caylee's doll "Mama." She takes Caylee without any means of support or supplies for even a single day.

KC drives wherever during the day, maybe to Blanchard Park. KC also went to the Sawgrass Apartments that day. Somewhere, either Blanchard Park or Sawgrass Apartments, KC chloroforms Caylee and puts her in the trunk. It's getting late and she needs to get to TonE's place. TonE doesn't want kids there. Wait. Caylee is unconscious, but not dead yet.

The dose of chloroform is substantial because KC intends to kill Caylee. KC drives to AL's place and spends the night. Chloroform is short acting and Caylee wakes up, vomits and has a horrible headache and cramps, maybe diarrhea, from the chloroform. She's locked in the trunk and it is dark, confining and she's totally frightened out of her wits. She's in a dark cage -- think about being buried alive.

Caylee cries to get help like any baby does. There is no response. Caylee is running out of air because of the rubber trunk seals. It is also very hot in there from Caylee's own body heat because the trunk is sealed. The chloroform is still present in the vomit, urine and diarrhea. However, it just makes her sick, doesn't knock her out again. Caylee scratches on the trunk panel, but can't escape. Fright turns to terror and panic as there is less and less air. Caylee is beyond terrified. She is just a 2 year old. Caylee dies of suffocation.

KC opens the trunk the next day and, of course, Caylee is dead. KC didn't scream, cry, call 911 on her ever present cell phone because KC expected it. KC didn't even wait with Caylee for her to die. She left her there to die alone.

KC has to strip the body of clothing and strip the outfit off the Mama doll because of the vomit, urine and body fluids. That's why Mama was found without clothes.

Therefore, KC's age of 22 years won't impact this case, but Caylee's tender age of 2 years old will aggravate the outcome.

Agree with those who have stated it's the age of the victim which casts a hue over the unfolding events. One look at that angelic face and I would think many potentially mitigating factors go poof.

That is part of the publicity "draw" of this case....and obviously the sad and tragic maternal breakdown.

I agree with you. That's how it should be but the jury is incredibly powerful. I have a feeling that JB and his crew are going to give Casey a personality overhaul and present her as a misguided youth. I keep thinking of the movie Chicago. The sleazy lawyer (how appropriate) telling his client to blame it on alcohol.

JB already has her wearing librarian glasses and "office" attire. Can you imagine how she will dress for court? Certainly not like she did when was going to Fusian after she disposed of Caylee. Remember how OJ charmed the jury (the first time)? If she manages to manipulate the jury into thinking that she is a poor innocent girl who has been wronged AND her family is 100% siding with her, she may get a lesser sentence and by the time she gets credit for good behavior and all she'll serve 20 years and still be out in time to make more babies!!!

I think for every "prim and proper" image that the defense tries to get across to the jurors about Casey, the DA will be able to offer up many other images of Casey during the time her daughter was not reported as missing. Stripper pole dancing, forging checks at Target, partying, etc etc. I personally wouldn't be influenced by how a defendent dresses in court if I were a juror. I would know it's all coaching by the defense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back