What is considered CONTROLLING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

momto3kids

Reaction score
Everyone looks from different angles at what is considered controlling.
Post your thoughts and insight here.

Originally Posted by jmflu
Just because a person is not locked up in chains in their home does not mean they are not living with a controlling person!

Your right. But She had choices. Most women that are truly controlled really have NO way out or they feel that they don't. Nancy did. She took trips without Brad. She had a family that was supportive and knew how to handle the court system. There are ways around the passport issue, look at all the illegal aliens. My husband can be controlling. But I am not controlled. I have a car, a limited access to money, I do what I want, when I want. I have choices. It appeared Nancy did too. Women that are truly controlled normally do not have a supportive family,friends, access to money, nor transportation and they live in constant fear. Nancy had friends, access to some money, transportation and a supportive family. I'm not saying that Brad didn't have control issues. I just don't think, IMO, that she was a true controlled woman.
progress.gif

But I don't think the issue is whether Nancy was truly controlled. Isn't it, rather, that Brad was controlling? Whether it was effective or not, and to what degree, does not make him any less controlling!

Yeah Mom! This is a topic that has needed some exploring, IMHO.

But I don't think the issue is whether Nancy was truly controlled. Isn't it, rather, that Brad was controlling? Whether it was effective or not, and to what degree, does not make him any less controlling!

He may have been contolling but did he actually control her?

But what did he try to control?

1. Reducing the outrageous level of spending they both did.
2. Keeping her from taking their kids outside of the country without consent.
3. moving forward with getting the house ready to sell
4. ????

My opinion:

1. Justified and agreed to by her dad.
2. Justified as I've said many times
3. Petty and childish, but probably something many divorcing spouses go through.

So BC, despite his controlling nature did not to any degree control NC but is guilty by virtue of capability only?

But what did he try to control?

1. Reducing the outrageous level of spending they both did.
2. Keeping her from taking their kids outside of the country without consent.
3. moving forward with getting the house ready to sell
4. ????

My opinion:

1. Justified and agreed to by her dad.
2. Justified as I've said many times
3. Petty and childish, but probably something many divorcing spouses go through.

AGAIN, you are focusing on JUSTIFICATION. I am talking about whether Brad was controlling, or not.

So BC, despite his controlling nature did not to any degree control NC but is guilty by virtue of capability only?

You can say a person is a controlling person whether they are successful at it or not!

For instance, say my spouse says he forbids me to go out tonight.

He hides the keys to the car from me.

Now, whether or not I find the keys and go anyway, or whether or not I am meeting another man or merely a friend for a cup of coffee... has not my spouse demonstrated that he can be controlling?

Don't we all try to control our own lives as much as we can? Generally, wives can try to control men by withholding sex and spending their money. Husbands try to control wives by withholding money. When one files for divorce, both parties go into self-protection mode.

If ONE of them stopped fighting and chose submission, things could turn around. They both have tremendous power and can CHOOSE to give up that power for the benefit of their children.

BC and NC obviously were on a very sad path that did not benefit their children. Either he murdered her as an end result of all the selfishness (on both their parts,) or she happened to get murdered by a stranger while all this ugliness was proceeding.

As for control, I think trying to control a situation is what we all naturally do. Who wants to be out of control?

AGAIN, you are focusing on JUSTIFICATION. I am talking about whether Brad was controlling, or not.

No, I'm asking you to add to the list of ways that he controlled her. I also offered my opinion on the 3 ways that people have said he controlled her. But please, add more to my list.

You can say a person is a controlling person whether they are successful at it or not!

For instance, say my spouse says he forbids me to go out tonight.

He hides the keys to the car from me.

Now, whether or not I find the keys and go anyway, or whether or not I am meeting another man or merely a friend for a cup of coffee... has not my spouse demonstrated that he can be controlling?

No, I think he has just demonstrated that he is an A-hole and has little to no control at all.

Isn't 'control' also a state of mind? If you say I'm not being controlled, but in my rel'p I feel controlled then who's right?

If my spouse tells me to do something and I do it because I want to avoid a fight or a scene or I want to avoid consequences of not doing it is that 'control?'

Who gets to decide the meaning of control? I would think the person in the relationship gets to decide what feels controlling for themselves.

Nancy told people she felt controlled and trapped. You can argue and debate whether she was or wasn't, but in her own mind, she was. She felt it, therefore she defined what it meant to her.

Isn't 'control' also a state of mind? If you say I'm not being controlled, but in my rel'p I feel controlled then who's right?

If my spouse tells me to do something and I do it because I want to avoid a fight or a scene or I want to avoid consequences of not doing it is that 'control?'

Who gets to decide the meaning of control? I would think the person in the relationship gets to decide what feels controlling for themselves.

Nancy told people she felt controlled and trapped. You can argue and debate whether she was or wasn't, but in her own mind, she was. She felt it, therefore she defined what it meant to her.

Yes she did.

That's a fair and reasonable argument. I bet Nancy did feel controlled and trapped. She couldn't spend money like she always had. She couldn't just leave and take her kids to Canada. So yes, I agree Nancy felt controlled and trapped.

No, I'm asking you to add to the list of ways that he controlled her. I also offered my opinion on the 3 ways that people have said he controlled her. But please, add more to my list.

I think three ways is quite enough to determine that he was a controlling person.

So Nancy defined what it meant to her. You can define what it means to you. I can define it for myself. No one is 'right' and no one is 'wrong.' It is what it is, which is in the eye of the one who feels it.

So why are we debating it then??

Wouldn't BC feel he was simply defending himself by taking back control of money and the passports? He was keeping her from being in total control of the situation. It's all totally natural. It's up to one person to try to conjure up some needed respect for the other. And one person trying to see the big picture.

And she knew him pretty well. Was she physically afraid of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123