587 users online (85 members and 502 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry NC - Bear found dumped at WCU with Obama signs

This is too much.

http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.d...D=200881020067

CULLOWHEE – A dead bear was found dumped this morning on the Western Carolina University campus, draped with a pair of Obama campaign signs, university police said
    Maintenance workers reported about 7:45 a.m. finding a 75-pound bear cub dumped at the roundabout near the Catamount statute at the entrance to campus, said Tom Johnson, chief of university police.

“It looked like it had been shot in the head as best we can tell. A couple of Obama campaign signs had been stapled together and stuck over its head,” Johnson said.
    University police called in N.C. Wildlife Resources officials to remove the body and help in the investigation. Bear season is currently under way in Western North Carolina.
    “This is certainly unacceptable,” Johnson said. “Someone was wanting to draw attention to the election. If we find out who they are, we’ll make sure they’ll get some attention themselves.”
    "Western Carolina University deplores the inappropriate behavior that led to this troubling incident," said Leila Tvedt, associate vice chancellor "We cannot speculate on the motives of the people involved, nor who those people might be. Campus police are cooperating with authorities to investigate this matter."

There's no doubt in my mind that if Obama wins the election that the Secret Service should receive hazard pay. Because there are always going to be a few who bring the racial issues into the politics.

Related but different, I heard of one person who hung a ghost in tree for a Halloween decoration, stapled to the ghost was upside down Obama signs. I don't know if it is meant as a threat, but when you put upside down signs and combine them with a "ghost" or a dead bear I take them as threats.

A baby cub....how awful...I hope LE catch the creeps who did this. Those guys need to pull their heads out of their butts and get a clue. I don't know why some people do such immature things. If they don't like Obama then don't vote for him. I really hate stuff like this. It's about time that people get over their racial prejudices so we can live in peace. There is enough awful stuff going on in this world without people hating others of different colors.

Our children's attitudes towards people of different colors is a reflection of our attitude towards them. I firmly believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel View Post
    A baby cub....how awful...I hope LE catch the creeps who did this. Those guys need to pull their heads out of their butts and get a clue. I don't know why some people do such immature things. If they don't like Obama then don't vote for him. I really hate stuff like this. It's about time that people get over their racial prejudices so we can live in peace. There is enough awful stuff going on in this world without people hating others of different colors.

Our children's attitudes towards people of different colors is a reflection of our attitude towards them. I firmly believe that.

I agree!!

I had to chime in, ITA also!

Me too.
    I've used a lot of mental energy wishing that Obama would get elected. Our country needs a person like him...but now I'm afraid for him if he does get elected. There are too many evil people who are stuck in their hateful minds and might try to harm him.

North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I was listening to the news tonight and it was reported that several students have admitted to this. They had been camping, found the the bear carcass in the woods and brought it on campus. They "said" it was just a prank and the Obama and Biden signs were the closest they could find to cover it. They "say" it was just a prank and had no political intentions for it at all. This was reported on the eleven o'clock news for WLOS TV channel 13. I dont have a link but am sure if you go to WLOS TV 13 you will see it in their website.

Update!

http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.d...=2008810210324

I hope these students are being truthful about this not being politically or racially motivated and just a prank! This act does NOT reflect the overall feelings of respect, that the majority of residents, have for Obama!

Love, peace, truth, Obama.

I have a hard time believing the kids story. It really doesn't matter if one of the seven kids was African American. I don't think that the kids just happened to run across Obama/Biden signs. After they got back to their homes they probably thought they were home free. I wonder how they were found out?

I have a hard time believing the kids story. It really doesn't matter if one of the seven kids was African American. I don't think that the kids just happened to run across Obama/Biden signs. After they got back to their homes they probably thought they were home free. I wonder how they were found out?
    I'm not sure how they were caught but it does sound like a prank. Before they released they'd found the bear along side the road and that it had in fact been hit by a car (and not shot in the head) I hadn't been convinced. All in all the people in that area are fine (as in not racist yahoo's or anything like that).

Plus WCU is like most colleges across the country -- to the point that if it had been a racist act I would have thought it was someone from the community rather than the college. But I was having a hard time believing even that. (Mind you there are other areas I wouldn't be so sure about.) At this point anyway, it sounds like kids who did something hugely stupid without thinking.
    All comments IMHO, etc etc

I feel sorry for the bear and obama if he is elected. Too many people out there cannot see past his color to let him do the things he needs to do as president. I personally would not vote for him but I dont think he should be cast out because of his race. People need to wake up and realize that it really is time for a change and not only white people can be president. Anyways that poor little bear, I feel so bad for it. I hope it wasnt in pain long, and although they say it was just a prank its gross. lol

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaBrown23 View Post
    I feel sorry for the bear and obama if he is elected. Too many people out there cannot see past his color to let him do the things he needs to do as president. I personally would not vote for him but I dont think he should be cast out because of his race. People need to wake up and realize that it really is time for a change and not only white people can be president. Anyways that poor little bear, I feel so bad for it. I hope it wasnt in pain long, and although they say it was just a prank its gross. lol
    The kids didn't kill or injure the bear. Apparently it went into the road and was hit by a car. The kids found it after the fact -- as in it was already dead. I'd guess that whoever hit it ended up with some damage to their vehicle, but hopefully no injuries (or it seems LE would have been called).

With all of this making the news it's very possible they've contacted LE - but maybe not. The bear was over the min. weight and would have been fair game, so to speak, re hunting. But, again, the kids and LE have stated the bear was hit by a vehicle and was found alongside the road. It's not at all uncommon for wild animals to come out onto roads, and in the dark it's hard to see them until it's too late (add to that the ones that almost seem to wait for a car to come then run out in front of it )

I too feel very sorry for it - ending up roadkill isn't a good thing - but I also feel sorry for the kids for doing something so hugely stupid. The reporters showed the 'signs' -- which are actually green sheets of paper with pro Obama/Biden messages on them. They weren't the regular election signs/posters -- and the reporters said they're everywhere on campus. Understanding that makes it easier to see why they used them.

Like other colleges, the support for Obama at WCU is huge. And, again, this is Not a little hole in the wall redneck community. For that matter a lot of people from Cherokee go to the college and live in the area -- it's only like 20 miles or so to the Qualla Boundary (Cherokee Reservation). So if anything there's more racial and cultural tolerance in that area than one might find at colleges and communities which are more insulated/segregated. Just sayin'...

I had noted this thread earlier and planned to post this evening then saw that the culprits had been caught and that it probably was not more than a tasteless prank. Still hope they get some consequences.
    I too am afraid for Obama and our country. One of my many hobbies is shortwave radio and I used to enjoy listening in to the Ham radio guys on weekend mornings- the last few weeks all their talk has been about Obama- none of it good. These are for the most part older men, many past 65. From the sound of them they spend their days drinking coffee and listening to Sean Hannity and other such ilk. I cant repeat a lot of the comments made, one main theme seems to be that Obama is 'uppity'. Lots of references to 'those people' etc. It's as if they just don't get it, none of this is computing with a lot of folks that age. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post
    I had noted this thread earlier and planned to post this evening then saw that the culprits had been caught and that it probably was not more than a tasteless prank. Still hope they get some consequences.

(respectfully snipped)
    Charges will most likely be filed.

From WLOS
    http://www.wlos.com/shared/newsroom/...vid_1544.shtml
    They say the students could face charges by Friday or Monday, including transporting a bear wrongfully taken and littering.

ETA - from Asheville paper

Johnson, the police chief, said Wednesday investigators believe the students' story of grabbing random political signs to keep the bear from bleeding into the back of the truck before they dumped the carcass.

The students could be in violation of at least two state laws, said Capt. Greg Daniels, an officer with the N.C. Wildlife Resource Commission.

Possessing a bear carcass, or any big game animal, without a hunting license is a misdemeanor crime, he said.

To be in possession of a bear under the circumstances they were under in Cullowhee, they were in violation (of the law) for moving the carcass, Daniels said.

The students could also face littering charges for leaving the bear on public property if the district attorney's office chooses to pursue them, he said.

The district attorney's office is expected to make a decision about criminal charges by the end of the week, Daniels said.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...=2008810230316

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast