Access To FBI Lab Tests May Be Denied

liltigress

Fighting The Good Fight
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed yet. If not, it should be. Mods, delete if this is a duplicate. I found it in the daily updates and thought it might be interesting to discuss.

http://www.wftv.com/news/17764362/detail.html

It looks like one of the court requests made by Casey's lawyer, Jose Baez, won't do any good.

A judge told Baez he could have access to view some of the forensic testing in the case. But there's a problem. The FBI is conducting the testing in their labs and the judge has no jurisdiction over the federal agency.

The FBI won't likely allow Casey's defense team into its labs.

It looks like the FBI is very much involved. What federal charges are in order? Can any legal eagles read between the lines here?

I think this judge is smart as a tack he new even if he granted this request they couldnt get to it.....WAY TO GO STRICKLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if this has been discussed yet. If not, it should be. Mods, delete if this is a duplicate. I found it in the daily updates and thought it might be interesting to discuss.

http://www.wftv.com/news/17764362/detail.html

It looks like the FBI is very much involved. What federal charges are in order? Can any legal eagles read between the lines here?

liltigress, this is another great find!

I would like to know also.....why it the FBI lab doing the testing? or is this normal?

liltigress, this is another great find!

I would like to know also.....why it the FBI lab doing the testing? or is this normal?

Could the FBI possibly be involved because of her "kidnapping" claim?

Could the FBI possibly be involved because of her "kidnapping" claim?

they were brought in "from day one" (sorry had to say like that) so i think they want to follow it through to the end like so many i.e LP, TM

they were brought in "from day one" (sorry had to say like that) so i think they want to follow it through to the end like so many i.e LP, TM

But doesn't it have to prove to be a federal crime for them to stay involved?
Could just the claim of a kidnap be a federal crime?

I know they've been on the case since the beginning. But I thought the state was handling the forensic testing. I didn't realize they'd sent it all to a federal lab.

This kinda makes the case that much more confusing. I wonder what federal charges they could be coming up with.

Crossing state lines?
Wire fraud?

Things like that...

The FBI was brought in initially because of the claim that Caylee was kidnapped and possibly taken across state lines. Outside of that, if another LE agency requests their assistance with lab tests, fingerprints, etc. and they agree to it, they will cooperate with the other LE agency and conduct the tests for them.

The FBI was brought in initially because of the claim that Caylee was kidnapped and possibly taken across state lines. Outside of that, if another LE agency requests their assistance with lab tests, fingerprints, etc. and they agree to it, they will cooperate with the other LE agency and conduct the tests for them.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know the feds would step in on a local case and help with tests. Really glad they did though!

Few police agencies in the country are as well equipped as the FBI labs and they do testing for departments all over the country. Since they are in demand for departments all over the country, they have to prioritize their testing which means that all the testing may not be done yet. Also they won't allow Baez or his representatives in the lab while the testing is done. I think that is what the judge is referring to.

When the testing is done, the lab will send reports to the investigators, and the prosecution will get them. The prosecutors will have to give a copy of the reports to defense at some point during the discovery process and the defense has the option to do independent testing on any evidence.

JB either seems to have wanted to jump the gun on getting the reports or he wanted to witness the testing process and thus the motion. But the judge can't order the testing done faster and he can't order the FBI to allow JB into their labs.

I'll bet they're testing, double testing and even triple testing to prove their case.

It's going to be a much stronger case if more than one lab yields the same results. This will also stick a cork in JB's pie hole.

LOL I pray every night that these tests are iron clad. When I stumble upon articles like this randomly it scares the daylights out of me.

If JB is not allowed to witness testing, could that be a cause for appeal later on? I would hate to see a test result being challenged & creating a technicality. That worries me as I want this put away forever!:behindbar

I think it was a very suave move for Judge Strickland. He had to have known when he allowed this motion, just as he knew Casey would be indicted so no reason to let her run around town with Baez to trace LE's steps.

I still shake my head over that one. Baez wanting to trace LE's steps instead of help Casey bring Caylee home.

They are not going to be able to deny the defense request forever. A defendant is entitled to view those results. I'm not sure if it will take a federal judge or not, but FBI labs do testing in state cases all the time. I've never heard of them being able to deny the defense just because the judge doesn't have federal jurisdiction.

I really want to see what the results are...Enough to convict KC & it's good that JB can't interfere with that at this time! Less time he has to work on what is in them..He has had enough hrs. with KC in his office!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back