Using poetry to respond to missing persons and unidentifieds

aeval

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I hope this is the right forum to post this. If it isn't I deeply apologize. As an introduction to myself I've been lurking around your forums for awhile after reading an article on CNN on how people like yourselves are helping to solve missing persons and unidentified cases. I started looking around the Doe Network and The Charley Project and was struck by the number of cases on either side of the coin.

As a literary artist, I wanted to find a way to respond/call attention to missing women so I began a series of poems. As a quick introduction to my project I'm writing roughly 30 poems about missing women and 30 poems about unidentified women. Each poem is about a woman over the age of 13. So far I've been working on the missing women section and use the information that I've gathered from the internet to construct a scenario about her last known activities or the moment of her disappearance. I've already had two that I've completed accepted for publication. One is about Shelley Kathleen Sikes and one about Jean Elizabeth Spangler. I only hope that my project is respectful and helpful in bringing attention to not only the cases I write about, but the fates of the missing and unidentified in general.

When I first began this project, I was as many of you were, interested in solving the case of Maricopa Jane Doe. While I'm saddened that her family has found that Tawni is deceased, I'm thrilled that she can return home. I know many of you have certain cases that you work on daily. And I guess the whole point of this long post is to ask you what cases of missing or unidentified women do you feel need a light shown on them in a new way? What cases haunt you?

If you are interested in helping, please check out the forum, " Lighting the Way Home" and all of the " Missing and Unidentified" section too. These are all about helping to find the missing. :)

Welcome again to WS.
Maria

Thank you for the welcome Maria! I've already began compiling a list of potential poetry subjects using the Websleuths boards, the Doe Network, and The Charley Project. I certainly want to represent a diverse range of experiences and backgrounds in pulling together this collection. I think far too often we've all noticed the media attention that focuses in on a few select cases and ignores a wide range of other missing and unidentified women. That's why I decided to let everyone in this community know what I was working on in case they wanted to call attention to a case they felt passionate about or felt was being ignored by the media or LE.

Again thank you for the warm welcome and thank you all for the work you do. You can post in this thread if you have any suggestions or thoughts or you can message me.

Best,
Aimee

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam