Judge Sasser was associate with Tharington-Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncsu95

Reaction score
So Judge Debra Sasser was an associate with Tharington-Smith before becoming a judge. Should she have recused herself from this case? The plaintiffs attorney was her former boss...could that possible show bias?

I disagree completely with the ruling, but I'm shocked to see she was a former associate with the firm.

And here are 2 seperate items proving this:

http://family.ncbar.org/Newsletters/Archived+Newsletters/Downloads_GetFile.aspx?id=4466

And then look what her name links to in this yellow pages ad:

http://www.trueyellow.com/attorney/Raleigh/NC/Page1/show.asp

If this was really a problem, then why didn't the defense request Sasser to recuse herself or, alternatively, challenge her being the assigned judge to hear the custody case? The defense attorneys may not see the conflict-of-interest imagined here.

If this was really a problem, then why didn't the defense request Sasser to recuse herself or, alternatively, challenge her being the assigned judge to hear the custody case? The defense attorneys may not see the conflict-of-interest imagined here.

Maybe the defense attorneys weren't aware of it.

Or they planned to use it on appeal.

So they were willing to risk it in case the decision went their way but they held off and will now raise it as an issue since they lost? I wonder how that would play in the higher courts?

I seriously doubt they knew. You honestly don't see this as a potential conflict of interest?

You don't think the defense attorneys do their homework and know the background of each judge? If I were a client of such a law firm that did not do their due diligence I would consider them incompetent.

BTW, Judge Debra Sasser was elected 11/04 and her term expires this year (11/2008). District court judicial terms are 4 years.

I seriously doubt they knew. You honestly don't see this as a potential conflict of interest?

See my siggy line NCSU95 - If they didn't know then it's their own fault. Not to mention the fact that many many many judges were once attorneys - no big deal.

ETA it doesn not mean that as a judge they can't rule correctly and fairly.

You don't think the defense attorneys do their homework and know the background of each judge? If I were a client of such a law firm that did not do their due diligence I would consider them incompetent.

BTW, Judge Debra Sasser was elected 11/04 and her term expires this year (11/2008). District court judicial terms are 4 years.

Amen Sistah - that would be the first thing you'd do in my opinion. You hear lawyers say it all the time - "I don't like this judge" We need to wait for "the right judge". This applies to simple things like traffic court and complex issues like child support. Day in and day out those words are spoken to some client by some lawyer and you can bank on that.

Would you guys have issue if she used to work for K&B (and this isn't a setup for saying you'd have issue because it would indicate she was a moron....it's a serious question).

So Judge Debra Sasser was an associate with Tharington-Smith before becoming a judge. Should she have recused herself from this case? The plaintiffs attorney was her former boss...could that possible show bias?

I disagree completely with the ruling, but I'm shocked to see she was a former associate with the firm.

And here are 2 seperate items proving this:

http://family.ncbar.org/Newsletters/Archived+Newsletters/Downloads_GetFile.aspx?id=4466

And then look what her name links to in this yellow pages ad:

http://www.trueyellow.com/attorney/Raleigh/NC/Page1/show.asp

You actually think this is an issue ?
How many times each week do you think she sees a former colleague from T-S sitting at a defense or plaintiff table ? She is sworn to uphold the law.

You hear lawyers say it all the time - "I don't like this judge" We need to wait for "the right judge". This applies to simple things like traffic court and complex issues like child support. Day in and day out those words are spoken to some client by some lawyer and you can bank on that.
The lawyer I hired for my traffic ticket talked about knowing the various judges and how each one tends to interpret the law and what their hot buttons are. If a traffic lawyer does their homework, then K&B darn well better!

Would you guys have issue if she used to work for K&B (and this isn't a setup for saying you'd have issue because it would indicate she was a moron....it's a serious question).

Moot point....this firm is too sleazy to interest her.
However, if she did....absolutely no problem.

You actually think this is an issue ?
How many times each week do you think she sees a former colleague from T-S sitting at a defense or plaintiff table ? She is sworn to uphold the law.

Oh JTF...don't you know it's all a conspiracy to take away the defendant's constitutional rights in this case? I bet they have a secret handshake they all use--you know--that special T/S handshake, along with the judge. Laws/schmaws! Let's not let any of that get in the way of a good conspiracy. You know Stubbs used to be a judge at one time! I bet that's why they won the case...it's a favor for ex-judges. Shhhhhh.

Moot point....this firm is too sleazy to interest her.
However, if she did....absolutely no problem.

Hmmm...so its offensive to refer to Alice Stubbs as "Nancy Grace", but it is OK to call BC's counsel "sleazy".

Oh JTF...don't you know it's all a conspiracy to take away the defendant's constitutional rights in this case? I bet they have a secret handshake they all use--you know--that special T/S handshake, along with the judge. Laws/schmaws! Let's not let any of that get in the way of a good conspiracy. You know Stubbs used to be a judge at one time! I bet that's why they won the case...it's a favor for ex-judges. Shhhhhh.

et tu, SleuthyGal?

I don't think the judge is involved in a conspiracy. I'm sorry I don't support that theory.

I don't think the judge is involved in a conspiracy. I'm sorry I don't support that theory.

I didn't say she was...I said I feel like it is a conflict of interest. You don't think it is possible that she might feel a little bias towards her former employer?

I didn't say she was...I said I feel like it is a conflict of interest. You don't think it is possible that she might feel a little bias towards her former employer?

I don't, no. But her feelings are besides the point; she took an oath to uphold the laws. She knows her decisions can be overturned if her rulings are not based on those laws. The legal community is a small one. People have worked at different law firms. Prior prosecutors sometimes become defense attorneys. Attorneys are appointed judges (or run for a judicial seat). This is not an uncommon occurrence.

I don't, no. But her feelings are besides the point; she took an oath to uphold the laws. She knows her decisions can be overturned if her rulings are not based on those laws. The legal community is a small one. People have worked at different law firms. Prior prosecutors sometimes become defense attorneys. Attorneys are appointed judges (or run for a judicial seat). This is not an uncommon occurrence.

Fair enough. I'm shocked by her ruling though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle