Crystal Cathedral TV preacher removed by father

Dark Knight

Reaction score
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. – Crystal Cathedral founder Rev. Robert H. Schuller has removed his son as preacher on the church's weekly "Hour of Power" syndicated TV broadcast.

Schuller said in a statement read to some 450 congregants Saturday by church president Jim Coleman that he and his son, Robert A. Schuller, "have different ideas as to the direction and the vision for this ministry."
"For this lack of shared vision and the jeopardy in which this is placing this entire ministry, it has become necessary for Robert and me to part ways," Schuller said.

Robert A. Schuller will remain as senior pastor of the Crystal Cathedral, though it was unknown whether he will continue to preach, a church spokesman told the Los Angeles Times.

The elder Schuller said in the statement that he was bringing in guest pastors to preach during the show.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081026...l_dismissal;_ylt=AjDzSr.f8pciKbIj6_OaSxms0NUE

I think this is a good decision. I used to watch once in awhile, but I didn't like his son's attitude when asking for donations and other things just rubbed me the wrong way, so I haven't seen it in quite some time.

What was the son's attitude about asking for donations?

On numerous ocasions he spent entire sermons on tithing, and would say things such as "if you don't have enough faith to give 10%, then give 5%, if you don't have enough faith for 5% give 2%, and see how God blesses you." There were other ways he subtley derided people who weren't giving enough. It just became a huge focus for him, and he just didn't seem nice about it. At the same time, he'd be telling stories of taking his kids to plastic surgeons just to remove scars from various minor injuries. Sounded pretty well off, himself, to me, lol. His divorce from his first wife yars ago was extremely ugly, I have read, but never heard the exact details.

Regular public floggings on how much a person tithes is usually the first step when a church starts having financial troubles. And when the pastor is living well above the means of the average person, it doesn't take a genius to see the proverbial writing on the wall.

Sounds an awful lot like the late, great TV preacher Dr. Gene Scott. He would scream at his parishoners to donate or he would walk off the set of his show and never return. He did just that once, leaving only his burning cigar as a reminder of his absence. The TV camera just focused on the cigar for about an hour before he returned. I really miss that old coot!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back