The Caylee Anthony Bill

Samijeansg

Former Member
Reaction score
This person is working on a bill for Caylee. She is asking for suggestions that can be added to the bill. It is posted on the SM site, but I thought you here might like to hear about it and maybe can come up with some things to add to it. Her email is (and this was posted at the other site so I don't she will care that it is posted here too) I don't post at the other site, but thought this was just too important not to bring over here. So I hope that it is OK that we can discuss this here and maybe put our heads together and come up with some good ideas to offer up. mailto:knayknaysm@live.com

Here are some of the suggestions so far that I have seen, this is a good one IMO.

What I would love to see result from this case is the awareness of just how many people go missing in a day, a month, a week, a year.......and for it to become automatic that as soon as a missing person is reported, there is a court appointed representative for that missing person who will do anything and everything on their behalf. This way, all missing persons would be afforded the same search efforts, resources, etc., and there wouldn't be the possibility of the family impeding the investigation or attempting to stifle those search efforts in an attempt to either hide their family member or their own involvement in the disappearance.

Mandatory reporting, of course, would be another equally important link in the chain.

I think this is a great idea and something deserving to put Caylee's name on in her memory.

Here is the link.

http://.net/index.php?topic=3815.0

This person is working on a bill for Caylee. She is asking for suggestions that can be added to the bill. It is posted on the SM site, but I thought you here might like to hear about it and maybe can come up with some things to add to it. Her email is (and this was posted at the other site so I don't she will care that it is posted here too) I don't post at the other site, but thought this was just too important not to bring over here. So I hope that it is OK that we can discuss this here and maybe put our heads together and come up with some good ideas to offer up. mailto:knayknaysm@live.com

Here are some of the suggestions so far that I have seen, this is a good one IMO.

I think this is a great idea and something deserving to put Caylee's name on in her memory.

I didn't add the link, because I don't think I'm allowed to do so. You can find it over there if you look.

You can add the link to this site. I tried to find it. The only 2 links that I'm aware of that aren't allowed to be posted have b's as the first letter of the domain name.

OH OK thanks Tech for clearing that up for me, I was confused as to what was allowed and what wasn't!

Here is the link, and I will go ahead and add it to the my first post too!

http://.net/index.php?topic=3815.0

I didn't add the link, because I don't think I'm allowed to do so. You can find it over there if you look.
make it a felony to not report your child missing within 24 hours or less if the child is under the age of 10 or so ? unless it already is i dunno :(

I've been thinking about this too. My thought is this, in light of the way KC has behaved with the lying.

Might be too difficult to implement.

A normal parent whose child goes missing behaves they way we think they should - they'll do anything to be cleared and get on with the search of their child, even if it might get them in trouble - think of the Las Vegas boy who went missing last week. Drugs or no, his mother didn't care. Just find my kid!

KC's behavior makes me think that there should be a bill - if a parent/guardian behaves the way KC has done, they go to jail, no bail. The judge in this case did his best to keep her in jail, but alas failed.

Not that I want to see anyone's rights violated, but the victim has rights too and this needs to be addressed. If a parent lies to the cops, the judge, etc, is a "person of interest" and is hindering the investigation, stick em in jail, with no bail, until they can be cleared.

In my eyes, the innocent wouldn't be in jail at all, but the guilty will.

Intriguing. Problem is, most, if not all municipalities, District, Federal gov't agencies and courts are doing all they can to cut costs at the moment. I'm sure most politicians who would see that Bill would find it extremely time and resource intensive.

I've been thinking about this too. My thought is this, in light of the way KC has behaved with the lying.

Might be too difficult to implement.

A normal parent whose child goes missing behaves they way we think they should - they'll do anything to be cleared and get on with the search of their child, even if it might get them in trouble - think of the Las Vegas boy who went missing last week. Drugs or no, his mother didn't care. Just find my kid!

KC's behavior makes me think that there should be a bill - if a parent/guardian behaves the way KC has done, they go to jail, no bail. The judge in this case did his best to keep her in jail, but alas failed.

Not that I want to see anyone's rights violated, but the victim has rights too and this needs to be addressed. If a parent lies to the cops, the judge, etc, is a "person of interest" and is hindering the investigation, stick em in jail, with no bail, until they can be cleared.

In my eyes, the innocent wouldn't be in jail at all, but the guilty will.

Well said Techo! I agree the victim has rights too and there has to be someway to enforce and protect the innocent. This case is one of the rare missing child cases, at least in my opinion where most normal people would have reported as soon as it happened. The way Casey acted during the time her child was missing clearly would have to be a red flag to anyone (31 days) and should be addressed as such. There has to be a way to protect the innocent in the future, no one should be allowed to get away with what she did for so long.

I really hope that a bill will be made for all the children that may have parents that think they can get away with this. It may be too late for Caylee, but it may not be too late for others.

Thats nice of her to do this in Caylees name. I hope people take notice, the victims are forgotten in too many cases. I just find it so sad it always takes a tragedy to happen for something to be done. I commend her for moving forward with this.

Thats nice of her to do this in Caylees name. I hope people take notice, the victims are forgotten in too many cases. I just find it so sad it always takes a tragedy to happen for something to be done. I commend her for moving forward with this.

I think so too Shortstuff! I hope one day we will see it passed for all children. It's a shame we need one isn't it?

Me thinks there should be a law that requires parents and guardians to report a minor missing within 24 hrs and the longer they wait, the harsher the penalty whether the child is found or not and no matter if the parent had anything to do with it doesn't matter either. If my son went missing I would report it within the hour!!!

An advocate for the missing person is something that is needed.
Each state having a single department that their job is to make sure that everything that can be done to find them is being done and to make sure that no one exploits that missing person. At some point in the future a creation of standard guidelines could be developed to insure that all parties involved from LE, search and rescue teams to the attorneys who represent any one that has been accused of a crime in connection with the missing person, as well as the family members of the missing will have a single place that they can contact for information and guidance. The primary focus is the one who is missing. They are the ones to make sure that their name and face remain visible to the public as well as any information on which LE is seeking.
Too many missing become forgotten. Too many are never found.
This person/department could be tasked with keeping these missing in the forefront of the news. The problem is that LE is always busy with the next case and individual families do not always have the resources to be continually contacting media outlets. Once the initial reports become 'old news' nothing is heard about them again. ]
This way the missing will always have a voice.

okay, the libertarian in me cringes when i hear the word bill but i would support a bill that gives missing people an advocate. an advocate that either helps the family jump thru all the hoops or in place of family for cases like Caylee. I don't think making a law that you have to report your child missing w/i 24 hrs would make any difference. Most parents are going to do that anyway. Parents that do not want their children found are not going to follow the law. I guess my point is, that it really won't make a difference. It's not like KC would have reported her daughter "missing" w/i 24 hrs. if a law would have been in place.

Intriguing. Problem is, most, if not all municipalities, District, Federal gov't agencies and courts are doing all they can to cut costs at the moment. I'm sure most politicians who would see that Bill would find particularly time and resource intensive.

We've got a new administration coming in so maybe it won't be as much of a problem as we may think.

We've got a new administration coming in so maybe it won't be as much of a problem as we may think.

...well, good timing...Bill Clinton will make his first campaign trail appearance with Mr Barack Obama in the crucial swing state of Florida, in Orlando next Wednesday (October 29)...I'm sure someone can send/present this idea before/during/after the rolly...

okay, the libertarian in me cringes when i hear the word bill but i would support a bill that gives missing people an advocate. an advocate that either helps the family jump thru all the hoops or in place of family for cases like Caylee. I don't think making a law that you have to report your child missing w/i 24 hrs would make any difference. Most parents are going to do that anyway. Parents that do not want their children found are not going to follow the law. I guess my point is, that it really won't make a difference. It's not like KC would have reported her daughter "missing" w/i 24 hrs. if a law would have been in place.

Shoot for the moon. Got to start somewhere. What they won't accept, they will leave behind.

I personally think this may be the beginning of a movement long overdue that opens the avenue we need to advocacy for the missing child. Since the statistics show that children have a better chance of being found SAFE within the first 3 hours, that may be the more reasonable timeframe to ask for a parent to report it.

...well, good timing...Bill Clinton will make his first campaign trail appearance with Mr Barack Obama in the crucial swing state of Florida, in Orlando next Wednesday (October 29)...I'm sure someone can send/present this idea before/during/after the rolly...

Not a bad idea but that wasn't the new administration I had in mind.....LOL.

Shoot for the moon. Got to start somewhere. What they won't accept, they will leave behind.

I personally think this may be the beginning of a movement long overdue that opens the avenue we need to advocacy for the missing child. Since the statistics show that children have a better chance of being found SAFE within the first 3 hours, that may be the more reasonable timeframe to ask for a parent to report it.

I see your point, i just don't think the bill is the answer. most parents would probably call 911 w/i 5 minutes of a child's disappearance. for those that would wait a while, a good standard of time that they should comply w/ would be great. the parents that don't call LE are the abusers, killers, neglecters. They don't have any intention of calling until they have covered up their crime, if ever.
I think that this situation is like so many in that Caylee was isolated and didn't have anyone to intervene. She wasn't in school, so no one recognized the warning signs. Her family does not appear to have any close friends or family. She was an @ risk child and the only people in her life that could have done something about it, ignored the situation.

I totally agree. We already had a charge to address her not reporting her, it is was the child neglect charge. Anyone that would do what Casey has done is not going to be effected by a 24 hour rule. How many laws has she broken? Stealing, forgery, neglect, homicide...

I can't remember the case name but there was a girl and bf that picked her daughter up from the grandma in Ohio. The gm wanted the child so much. They killed the child before they got to Texas and threw her off a bridge in a storage container. They then went about their merry way. The gm happen to see the shoes and clothes shown from a jane doe found. She called and thats how the mother and bf were caught. It seems like there was a good amount of days that went by on this one also, and she never was reported missing by the mother.

I totally agree. We already had a charge to address her not reporting her, it is was the child neglect charge. Anyone that would do what Casey has done is not going to be effected by a 24 hour rule. How many laws has she broken? Stealing, forgery, neglect, homicide...

You're exactly right. I would rather honor Caylee in another way. Maybe a privately funded young parent education class in the Orlando area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back