King Solomon's Mines Found

Dark Knight

Reaction score
WASHINGTON – The fictional King Solomon's Mines held a treasure of gold and diamonds, but archaeologists say the real mines may have supplied the ancient king with copper.

Researchers led by Thomas Levy of the University of California, San Diego, and Mohammad Najjar of Jordan's Friends of Archaeology, discovered a copper-production center in southern Jordan that dates to the 10th century B.C., the time of Solomon's reign.

The discovery occurred at Khirbat en-Nahas, which means "ruins of copper" in Arabic. Located south of the Dead Sea, the region was known in the Old Testament as Edom.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081027...mon_s_mines;_ylt=Aqg60oS86VaEx9iW0N6zQD6s0NUE

The more research these scientists do, the more the Bible is confirmed.

I visited Tom Levy's excavation at Khirbet en-Nahas in the summer of 2007. I have huge respect for this team because they are working in extremely unpleasant conditions. Khirbet en-Nahas is located along the Wadi Arabah, south of the Dead Sea. It is ridiculously hot, almost suffocating, in the summertime. There are no trees or any form of shade available to them. The team lives in tents at a camp near the site. They have an amazing setup of technology for documenting and analyzing the finds, and a satellite dish for internet and cell phone service. They have uncovered tools and molds

The site is fascinating in that there is copper slag (the waste of copper production) EVERYWHERE. They were mass producing copper here throughout the Early Iron Age which is the time period of the Kingdom of Judea in the Old Testament.

This page has some photos and a link to a video:
http://blog.bibleplaces.com/2008/10/copper-mines-from-time-of-solomon.html

I clicked on the above link to view the photos of the exploration and my Mcafee virus protection went crazy preventing a malicious spyware program from downloading. DO NOT open the link!! Even the site advisor turned red with warnings.

Please be careful.

I don't think anyone who has a background in Anthropology, Archaeology, History, etc disputes that the Bible is a historical text filled with real people, real places, real stories. It is when it gets into the territory of everything in the Bible being taken literally things get a little hairy.

I don't think anyone who has a background in Anthropology, Archaeology, History, etc disputes that the Bible is a historical text filled with real people, real places, real stories. It is when it gets into the territory of everything in the Bible being taken literally things get a little hairy.

Great point - people and events in the Bible have been proven "real" time and again. It's always interesting to uncover more though.

Interestingly, the same archaeologists were claiming a few years ago that this site was used by the Edomites in the 10th century BCE and was thus evidence for an Edomite state at this early date. Kh. en-nahas is located within the territory of Edom. Now, this new report links the site with the biblical "King Solomon's Mines". There is nothing so far that indicates WHO was in charge of the copper production at Kh. en-Nahas. It could have been Edomites, Judeans, and even Moabites. There is no evidence that directly links this mining site with King Solomon. All they know at this point is the site was actively mining and processing copper in the 10th century BCE which would match with the time period of Solomon's legendary kingdom as well as several other neighboring kingdoms that were equally developed technologically.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back