Would media coverage help?

ewwwinteresting

Reaction score
It is frustrating to see NOTHING happening on this case! Janet was murdered in April 2005...the Duke case didn't happen until March 2006, almost a year later. There was very little media coverage on this case before the Duke case even happened.

I am wondering, though, if there was more media coverage, would the investigation be farther along? Would media coverage actually help solve this crime? I would be interested in hearing everyone's opinion on whether they believe more media coverage would have helped this investigation and if so, how? And if not, what would have?

i absolutely believe that media coverage plays a huge part in crime solving today.

janet was murdered on april 26, 2005.

the "run-away bride" also ran away on april 26, 2005.

"

For Jennifer Wilbanks and John Mason's wedding—black and white was the trendy color scheme—more than 500 family and friends were expected at the Duluth First United Methodist Church. The April 30 ceremony was to be followed by a buffet at the posh Atlanta Athletic Club, alcohol-free since both families are Baptist. The 14 bridesmaids were to wear Alfred Sung strapless dresses with a dropped waist and multitiered ruffled skirt; the groomsmen were to wear Ralph Lauren tuxedos.

..of course if you were the media----------you'd go for the story with the 14 bridesmaids--!--and the missing/abducted/dead ?? bride.

..it was only a couple of days after that we all knew it was a hoax/she was alive and well-------------but those couple of days took the spotlight from a REAL murder----janet's-----and then a day or so after --more REAL crimes happened , all of which left janet's story "too old to feature".

..i've said it before on WS, as i've vented my anger at jennifer wilbanks----she , and she alone stole the spotlight during the crucial days that LE /the media could have spent solving this ( REAL case ) murder.

..i still believe though that NC LE has raven on janet's murder------they are just making damn sure that they have all of their t's crossed and i's dotted to avoid double jeopardy---raven WILL be arrested---------and SOON.

I don't think the media will help. I think that right after the murder, it would have changed the outcome. Perhaps private companies with satelite feed would have provided footage of Raven's cars that night. I think something like that would have sealed the case. But this long after the murder, all of the media attention in the world won't change what evidence they were able to collect. It may pressure for an arrest, but if their isn't evidence to prosecute, prosecuters are hesitant to arrest.

The one thing that I think media attention would change today is how people associate with Raven. I think it would be most important for the women he dates etc. However, he has a new wife and she went into this knowing his past, so I guess the attention doesn't deter everyone. I think that the family, friends, and associates around Raven already know that he is guilty. So again, I don't think that the media would change that very much.

Glad to see "We" are still seeking justice for Janet!

RainbowsAndGumdrops
user_offline.gif

I don't think the media will help. I think that right after the murder, it would have changed the outcome.

..that's just what i was trying to say------

..janet was murdered on the same day that the ( fake ) runaway bride chose to run away---and took ALL of the media with her.

..had the media been on this case RIGHT away--------i think it would have changed everything.

..of course LE still has all of their forensics from then----just a matter of time before they nail raven. if the media had been on this from the 1st day, i believe raven would be behind bars now, either sweating it out awaiting trial or already convicted.

..it's quite pathetic that 3 years later he's free to coach soccer, re-marry.........it's so sickening to me, i can't begin to imagine how janet's family feels knowing this.

..hopefully NC LE is even more sick at heart and working non stop to arrest whomever is responsible for janet's tragic murder.

..and by "whomever", of course that's you Raven------perhaps you'll get a conscience-------and confess.

..remember on the 911 call Raven that you wanted your bishop--?--------call him now------get it off your chest.

..vanessa---have you taken the time to read the threads ? if not---please do------we do NOT want a new thread titled " raven's new wife---pregnant as well--------murdered-----while raven again claims he was at a soccer game."

..( sounds implausible ? DID happen to another young pregnant woman named janet.)

..i still believe though that NC LE has raven on janet's murder------they are just making damn sure that they have all of their t's crossed and i's dotted to avoid double jeopardy---raven WILL be arrested---------and SOON.
I wish I still believed this. I have lost all hope of an arrest. I do believe that they know it was Raven. I also believe that he MIGHT be arrested some day if a fresh set of eyes looks over stuff or if he slips up somehow or more witnesses come forward, etc. But if all things remain the same as they are right now, I do believe that he will have gotten away with it. :(

The one thing that I think media attention would change today is how people associate with Raven. I think it would be most important for the women he dates etc. However, he has a new wife and she went into this knowing his past, so I guess the attention doesn't deter everyone.
I wonder if that would be different if Raven had been on the news as much as Scott Peterson. Raven can walk along any beach, through any mall, in any supermarket, etc., and virtually no one would recognize him at all. If he had been smeared all over the news like Peterson, I wonder if then it would have been harder for him to get another wife because then she really would be scrutinized by everyone for being associated with him and would be stared at everywhere she goes. But even though Raven is very visible to all of us, to the rest of the world, he's just another guy. In that sense, the media certainly could have helped. But whether or not that would have steered Vanessa away from him, who knows? She might just be one of those women that if she hadn't found Raven on the outside, she may have been writing to him while he was behind bars. She might think that being with Raven makes her a type of celebrity. :rolleyes:

Would the media have helped in terms of Raven being arrested? Hard to know. If it had gone national with someone to keep pushing it along, I do believe it would have made a difference.

..vanessa---have you taken the time to read the threads ? if not---please do------we do NOT want a new thread titled " raven's new wife---pregnant as well--------murdered-----while raven again claims he was at a soccer game."

..( sounds implausible ? DID happen to another young pregnant woman named janet.)
It seems obvious to "normal" people like us that a killer that's gotten away with it shouldn't tempt fate by trying again but it's happened many times in the past. Think Drew Peterson, (although he's not been tried or even charged yet).

I'm not sure about the media either. There was something small on Greta and it didn't seem to rouse any responses.

Janet's family lives all over the United States, none in North Carolina, even the murderer moved out of North Carolina to Utah.

Michelle Young's case received a lot of National Attention, as did Stacy Peterson, Lisa Stebic, and they are no further ahead either. I think it has to do with the perpetrator of the crime.

With Scott Peterson, everyone lived close by, he worked there, there was Amber Frey, and the ever lovable Jackie Peterson to make the story more popular. Also, Laci was big pregnant and missing.

Natalie Holloway was International News and that did absolutely no good.

I think each is case by case and there are pro's and cons of HUGE stories.

I myself would wish I had the money for billboards with Janet's picture holding Kaiden and a Bubble over Kaiden's head saying Daddy, why did you kill Mommy?

Natalie Holloway was International News and that did absolutely no good.
Well, it did no good in terms of her being found but everyone knows about the story, everyone knows Joran van der Sloot and would probably think twice about getting involved with him. In that sense, it would have helped a lot to make Raven's life a little less comfortable. As it is right now, Raven has a "normal" life and is getting to live his life with ease. So maybe we still wouldn't have an arrest but at least this murderer wouldn't get to continue life as if nothing ever happened.

terminatrixator
user_offline.gif

Seeker of Justice

"I'm not sure about the media either. There was something small on Greta and it didn't seem to rouse any responses."

..i think the media would have made a difference, had there been something BIG on janet's case reported on Greta/NG etc. immediatly.

---------however, the Duke case, the run-away bride etc. took that BIG spotlight away, and then of course the media was on to "new" cases/stories.

Well, it did no good in terms of her being found but everyone knows about the story, everyone knows Joran van der Sloot and would probably think twice about getting involved with him. In that sense, it would have helped a lot to make Raven's life a little less comfortable. As it is right now, Raven has a "normal" life and is getting to live his life with ease. So maybe we still wouldn't have an arrest but at least this murderer wouldn't get to continue life as if nothing ever happened.

True, I know myself I tried calling all the papers & media in Utah and the only way they would do a story on the Pness was if he was named a suspect.

HEAR THAT DURHAM - NAME HIM A SUSPECT and WE CAN GET HIM WATCHED IN UTAH!

Anyhow, I hear what you are saying, but I truly believe cases where the significant other is the perpetrator and there is sociopathy, premeditation and no weapon found, these cases take longer to prosecute. Unfortunately, another significant other has to be murdered before the case gets solved. Let's hope that's not the case here.

I think you got this right JG. If this was a high media case, everyone would know raven and he wouldn't be able to live a "normal" life as if nothing happened. He wouldn't be able to tell his own versions of why his wife died. The world would know the correct situation. The fact that Durham LE won't clear his name says something BUT the fact that Durham LE won't name him as a suspect, or even a POI, says a lot more in my opinion.

Durham Police Still Working 2-Year-Old Abaroa Murder
1177643101_abaroa-300x225.jpg

Copyright 2007 Capitol Broadcasting Company
Janet Abaroa, 25, was killed on April 26, 2005. Durham police said for the first time on Thursday, April 26, 2007, that they have not eliminated her husband, Raven Abaroa, from their suspect list.

http://www.ncwanted.com/ncwanted_home/image/1361260/

..wow..........i was STUNNED at all of the cases on NCWANTED, while searching for a link to janet's case.( and i realize i'm putting up a link from april 2007 )

..he may not be a suspect, or even a POI, but at least "they have not eliminated him from their suspect list"--------that's something for us to hold onto.

..he may not be a suspect, or even a POI, but at least "they have not eliminated him from their suspect list"--------that's something for us to hold onto.

Here are my questions. Has anybody been eliminated from their suspect list? Do they have any persons of interest or suspects besides the obvious one, raven?

It's hard to believe that after 3 1/2 hears they can't even name one suspect. It appears they have NO EVIDENCE on this case and are playing the guessing game. Poor Janet's family!

I don't know why they haven't named him the suspect yet.....

I believe they have things on the Bird, but is it enough to get him convicted by a jury of his peers? Especially since Durham has had such a problem with their image when it comes to the DA's office and Police Department and such negative publicity over the past few years.

It's obvious he is the POI and suspect. I can't figure it out myself, then I look at all the other cases out there like this and I see the troubles in all the other cases.

I feel the same way you do, I feel for Janet's family and friends and cannot believe that there is still no Justice for Janet and her unborn child.

LE really needs to jail the bird and get some Justice for Janet :behindbar

.i agree........if they don't have enough on him now, he could get off , and then with double jeopardy they can't try him again.

..with this case being so "old" i fear that LE didn't get it together soon enough back then------now as a a "cold case" LE will surely have less manpower on this as they have to focus on the many current crimes in NC.

..my heart goes out to janet's family and friends, they know who is responsible, and have to wait------and wait-----just as we do---------for LE to get on this case and bring justice to janet /closure to her family.

..raven--------why not be a man for once in your life and confess? this has got to be eating away at you every day and keeping you awake at night. they say that "confession is good for the soul".
..of course that is true--------you don't want your soul to be tormented for all of eternity.

lauriej said:
..raven--------why not be a man for once in your life and confess? this has got to be eating away at you every day and keeping you awake at night. they say that "confession is good for the soul".
..of course that is true--------you don't want your soul to be tormented for all of eternity.

Will never happen, it doesn't keep him up at nights. I don't think he has faith and I don't think he's giving one ounce of thought to his soul being tormented or forgiveness by Janet or the Heavenly Father.

I myself know that I have put my trust in LE to get their bird, but I will admit, my patience has been tried and it has worn thin, but in the end I do have faith in the Lord that Justice will be served.

I think we've linked every single thing that has come out in the media on this case, and I've seen it posted in the Los Angeles Times, NY Times, all over the Associated press and there was one very tiny article from a radio station in Utah?

What the heck is up with that? He's worked and been fired from many jobs in Utah, he went to high school in Utah, he's dated A WHOLE LOT OF women and young women from Utah, he's spent time at bars, clubs, soccer fields, in Utah, yet the Utah News hasn't picked it up?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineSteph
Back