706 users online (97 members and 609 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

UK - Mandy Franks, 40, Shrewsbury, 4 Oct 2008

England's dancing days are done...

Quote Originally Posted by badhorsie View Post
    I just can't imagine why you'd become a cynic after reading here at Websleuths!

Seems it's a WORLDWIDE problem, 'missing,murdered, dead woman,.... last seen by SO.'

fran

Isn't that the truth?

Agree with you Beavis Mom. I must try to find footage of that "appeal" Hope I am wrong, but it is a heartsinker x

She sure doesn't look 40 to me.

And yes, reading at WS opens your eyes to the true state of the world. It's true that just when you think you've read the worst, something else comes down the pike.

I can't stop crying....

Please forgive me for being so emotional tonight.
    But i'm sitting here w/ tears streaming down my face...
    i'm so sad for these children whose mommies have been taken away from them...
    i'm so sad for all the mommies whose children have been taken away from them...
    i mean God...why can't evil people leave people alone???
    Why does this have to keep happening????
    It seems like everyday there is a new "missing person" case going on.
    What is this world coming to?
    Why do people have to take away people from the ones that love them so much?
    I don't know....maybe i need a break...
    but i can't stop crying tonight ....
    I might copy and post this on other threads too....
    How do people go on????
    I sat there for the longest time
    after you were gone....
    thinking about all things we said.....
    and all the things we didn't say...
    I wonder if you misunderstood,
    cause I'm no good when it comes to talking....
    And I'm sorry,I didn't know the words.......
    to make you stay.

Soyeaterday, I often feel that way too.I pray and it often helps,huggers, Deb x

Awwww....
    thanks for the "hugs" Deb!
    "Hugs" to you too.....
    and you're right..praying does help sometimes........
    I sat there for the longest time
    after you were gone....
    thinking about all things we said.....
    and all the things we didn't say...
    I wonder if you misunderstood,
    cause I'm no good when it comes to talking....
    And I'm sorry,I didn't know the words.......
    to make you stay.

Just because a person was last seen with their SO doesn't mean their SO harmed them. I mean, statistically, it's a viable possibility. But when someone is your SO, you spend a lot of time, so also statistically you'd be more likely to be last seen with them than, say, the mailman or your across the street neighbor or your aunt.

I would really interested to see the stats

I would really interested to see the stats
    I've seen tons of studies and stats. One study, can't remember where I found it, said that there were 3 women a day murdered by their SO. I believe the below study is mainly with regard to firearm murders. I don't think they're referring to strangulation etc. I'm not sure because I honestly haven't read the whole thing. I've pretty well seen what I was looking for.

A woman is 11 times more likely to be killed by an acquaintance than a stranger and a HUGE % are by their intimate partner.

Scary.

JMHO
    fran

http://www.vpc.org/studies/dv5intr.htm

When Men Murder Women: An Analysis of 2000 Homicide Data

Intimate partner violence against women is all too common and takes many forms. The most serious is homicide by an intimate partner.a Although firearms are used in a relatively small percentage of domestic violence incidents, guns can easily turn domestic violence into domestic homicide. A recent study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on homicide among intimate partners found that female intimate partners are more likely to be murdered with a firearm than all female homicide victims. The study finds that "the figures demonstrate the importance of reducing access to firearms in households affected by IPV [intimate partner violence]."b

...................snip........................

In 2000, there were 1,805 females murdered by males in single victim/single offender incidents that were submitted to the FBI for its Supplementary Homicide Report.h These highlights from the report, expanded upon in the following sections, dispel many of the myths propounded by the gun lobby regarding the nature of lethal violence against women:

Nearly 11 times as many females were murdered by a male they knew (1,551 victims) than were killed by male strangers (142 victims).

Sixty two percent (963) of female homicide victims were wives or intimate acquaintancesi of their killers.

There were 331 women shot and killed by either their husband or intimate acquaintance during the course of an argument—nearly one woman a day.

More female homicides were committed with firearms (52 percent) than with all other weapons combined. Of the homicides committed with firearms, 76 percent were committed with handguns.

In 88 percent of all incidents where the circumstances could be determined, homicides were not related to the commission of any other felony, such as rape or robbery.
    The study also analyzes available information on the murders of black females. Not surprisingly, these homicides mirror the trends for women overall: most homicides against women are not committed by strangers, but by men known to the victims.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Agree with you Beavis Mom. I must try to find footage of that "appeal" Hope I am wrong, but it is a heartsinker x
    Just looking through some British cases as they are close to home...

You can hear his appeal here http://www.beaconradio.co.uk/article.asp?id=961388

However, an open verdict was delivered in this case back in April 2009 as no third party involvement could be proven.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/7701597.stm

Open verdict given in river death

A coroner has recorded an open verdict at the inquest of a woman whose body was found in a Shropshire river three weeks after she went missing.

Mandy Franks, 40, from Belle Vue Road, Shrewsbury, disappeared after a night out in the town on 4 October 2008.

Her body was pulled out of the River Severn at Apley, near Bridgnorth, on 27 October.

The coroner said the verdict was the only option he had as there was no evidence of third party involvement.

South Shropshire coroner Anthony Sibcy also said there was no evidence she intended to kill herself, and no evidence she was dead before she went into the River Severn.

'Angry text'

A post-mortem examination found her body was so decomposed a cause of death has not been determined although there had been no evidence anyone else was involved in her death.

The inquest in Ludlow heard Ms Franks had been treated for depression but on her last visit to the doctors she had been upbeat and had got a new job.

On the night she went missing she had met her boyfriend but became upset when he went to meet a friend.

A witness in Frank Cafe Bar, where she had been, said she had sent him an angry text and that she was slurring her words. She had also talked of getting some cocaine.

Her disappearance sparked a huge search with police checking CCTV and her boyfriend, Jody Evans, making a television appeal for information.