894 users online (162 members and 732 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Soup kitchen opens for dogs

BERLIN (Reuters) A soup kitchen exclusively for dogs has opened its doors in Berlin providing pets of the homeless and unemployed with a free meal, the director of the establishment said on Friday.

Despite the looming financial crisis, director Claudia Hollm dismissed criticism that it may be more sensible to collect money for humans than for dogs.

"Nowadays people underestimate dogs. They are incredibly important for those who lack social contact with other humans," Hollm told Reuters.
    "Making sure dogs don't go hungry is just as important as making sure that people don't starve," she added.

Hollm, and her company "Animal Board," gets sponsorship from companies,
    including animal food manufacturers.

One woman who uses the free service said she had two dogs, four cats, a rabbit and some guinea pigs.

"Without this animal bread line, I'd probably starve to death," the 20-year old told German daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081031/od_nm/us_dogs;_ylt=AhIWA_Scyg2il7Sd5kzWJfCs0NUE

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

And who's to say folks who help with animals don't also help with people? I can't even imagine being homeless, but I am sure if I were homeless but had a pet, that pet would be even more important to me then my pets are now. It could be the difference between a homeless person just trying to get by or turning to crime. I don't have any problem with this at all. Let's not lose sight of our humanity in this time of world financial crisis. It probably costs more money to put these animals in shelters or euthanize them.

EmMomma is offline Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    Aw...this made my day...thanks for sharing.
    "Lost is not alone..." T. Miller, Founder TES (and MY HERO!!!)

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will." -

Edward Everett Hale

We need to start some of these in our country.

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    We need to start some of these in our country.
    awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been know to drop off a small bag of dog food to homeless person with a pet. That's gotta be a very special animal.

This is a great idea. We do need these in our country too.

This too, made my day.

Gozgals

Frequently I hear people say I bought this new food for my pets and they don't like it so I have to throw it away. Give it to your Humane Society or a rescue.

I wonder if food banks accept pet food? I'll have to check with local ones and see.

I think it's a great idea too. I bet a lot of the homeless people take some of their food back in order to feed their dog/cat.

I never thought of donating pet food to a food bank. Good idea.

Malapoo, Good idea. I'll have to check locally here as well. I bet the pets wouldn't mind a donated sweater.

Kind of OT, but does anyone else have tiny refrigerators in their grocery store pet food aisles for fresh dog food that looks like rolls of sausage? That stuff is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    Malapoo, Good idea. I'll have to check locally here as well. I bet the pets wouldn't mind a donated sweater.
    Our local shelter is asking for donations of blankets for the dogs and towels for the cats to help keep them warm this winter. I bet most shelters could use them before winter. (Most shelters have concrete floors as it's easier to clean them, but they are cold!)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

The SPCA in Raleigh recently set up a Pet Food Pantry to give temporary assistance to families who can no longer afford to feed their pets. They are taking donations of food and other pet supplies.

See this article.

http://www.spcawake.org/site/DocServ...pdf?docID=1172

Wow, I think this is great. We should have more of them. Dogs are wonderful.. They are smart and they are great companions..

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

That's beautiful idea to have a soup kitchen for dogs! So many homeless have dogs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast