Somalia - 13-year-old rape victim stoned to death

Alta

Proudly Canadian
Reaction score
This makes me just sick to my stomach.

MOGADISHU, Somalia — A 13-year-old girl who said she had been raped was stoned to death in Somalia after being accused of adultery by Islamic militants, a human rights group said.
Dozens of men stoned Aisha Duhulow to death Oct. 27 in a stadium packed with some 1,000 onlookers in the southern port city of Kismayo, Amnesty International and Somali media reported, citing witnesses.

Link

This breaks my heart. They're are supposed to be a peaceful religion? I don't think so. I suppose the man that raped her had nothing done to him.

:furious:

It's pretty tough to stomach the politically correct position that no culture is any better than another when you read stuff like that.

There are many ways to stone someone to death-literally and figuratively although I get your point.

It reminds me of the scene in Handmaid's Tale where the women of childbearing age who are enslaved are brought to an arena and told that a rapist on trial murdered the victim's unborn child. The women stomp him to death out of retaliation and rage, knowing that giving birth to a child is a ticket back to the life they knew before they were enslaved...

It's pretty tough to stomach the politically correct position that no culture is any better than another when you read stuff like that.

Completely.

Especially when it happens before a crowd of over 1,000 spectators.

My daughter is 13, a child. It hurts my heart to think of someone her age being blamed for an attack against her. This little girl was so victimized twice by a religion that wants to be considered humane and full of love. But it is the opposite and proves how little it values its women and female children.

I cannot comprehend such a horrific act against a child. Perhaps I am fixed in my American way, but I would fight and/or die before any child of mine was murdered for a crime that was not of her doing, but at that hand of another. I would literally sacrifice myself.

I try very, very hard to understand the different cultures and the way they practice much, but I absolutely cannot understand such barbaric murder. Please, someone tell me what I am missing. I truly weep for this young child. I honestly cry for the sheer fear she must have gone through and the agony/pain. :(

I will never, ever understand.

I'll tell you what, I don't think many rape victims in Somalia are going to be trying to get help due to atrocities like this being committed against the poor victims. It is state sanctioned child abuse and murder. It makes me sick. I do not, however, think that it is necessarily the religion itself that is at fault. I think it's the culture. Their culture (at least in Somalia) is 2000 years behind us. In our own religion, assuming most of us come from a Judeo-Christian background, there is a history of laws calling for the stoning of a woman who was found not to be a virgin when married, or calling for the stoning to death of a stubborn and unruly son. But our culture progressed and our society does not, 2000 years later, condone such barbarity. But some of these societies are still in the past. So, it's the backwards culture in that country, not necessarily in all Muslin countries, I hope. For example, I know Muslims who would be horrified at what happened there in Somalia. However, our feelings are not enough. We need to be to do something to force these people to embrace human rights. How? I'm not sure. Some think that we need to say, at the least, that we will not send aid, we will not help with military assistance, we will never trade with, or have any relations of any kind with such countries until they show they can abide by some certain, universal principals of decency, especially when it comes to the treatment of children. But, we continue to have economic dealings with other countries that allow similar things to happen, like Saudi Arabia. It enrages me. Can you imagine that people allowed this to happen? And they say the west is filled with immoral, indecent societies. Oh really? Well, there is no western civilized nation that supports the stoning to death of child crime victims. Disgusting.

Im sorry. I consider myself a Liberal but that PC 'all cultural differences are relative' dogma is nonsense.
This is Savagery pure and simple.
Any Country,City,Community,Principality,or'Religion' that condones something like this is as guilty as the subhumans throwing the rocks at this child.

You know what? I wish Abraham had not heeded the voice of Sarah, his wife, and slept with Hagar.

This touches my heart deeply. I am now 43 years old. I grew up outside of Washington D.C. and one of my best friends was from Pakistan. We were in middle school and she had a much older brother. There were rumors thahow my friend was and her mother told me she had fallen t there were things being done to her in her own home. If that was true she never shared. They moved back to Pakistan when we were in the 8th grade several months later her mother returned and came to talk to me. Her mother wanted to know if my friend had a boyfriend, which she did not. I then asked how she was and her mother was very matter of fact and said that she had fallen against the stove and burned to death. Something about the way she said it was very disturbing to me, it was not until years later that I realized what the truth probably was. This is something to this day I find hard to even comprehend!

I knew someone would get around to blaming the woman....:rolleyes:

It wasn't me! That quote has been around more than 2000 years! It's the Bible's explanation for the foundation of Islam, and one that Muslims agree with....they trace the beginnings of their religion right back to Ishmael, first son of Abraham by Hagar, Sarah's handmaiden.

I do hope you didn't think I was in anyway blaming the 13 year old child for the atrocity committed against her.

Rape is a weapon in the civil wars over there. There have been multiple articles written about how they are breaking the people/society with rape. It is a tool, because they know that once a woman has been raped, she will be shunned from the town, her family...............no one will accept her.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/11/60minutes/main3701249.shtml

(I don't think this news site is off limits)

The things we don't know that are going on are far worse than the ones we do know. :mad:

this is an excerpt from that article, for those who can't bear the whole thing.

"When a woman is raped, it's not just her that's raped. It's the entire community that's destroyed," says Judithe Registre, who is with an organization called "Women for Women." They run support groups for survivors of rape.

"When they take a woman to rape her, they'll line up the family, they'll line up other members of the communities to actually witness that," Registre says. "They make them watch. And so, what that means for that particular woman when it's all over, is that total shame, personally, to have been witnessed by so many people as she's being violated."

Many of the women in Dr. Mukwege’s hospital are not only blamed for what happened to them, they are shunned because of fears they’ve contracted HIV and shunned because their rapes were so violent they can no longer control their bodily functions."........................................

............................"Strength is something that few women in Congo lack. They bear the burdens, farm the fields, and hold the families together, yet nothing it seems is being done to protect them.

The war is so widespread that rapes are increasingly being committed by civilians. A few washed out billboards tell men that rape is wrong, but there’s little evidence Congolese officials take the problem seriously.

In the prosecutor's office, the complaints pile up. We were told a $10 bribe could get a rape accusation investigated, but few cases ever go to court.

We asked the prosecutor to show us the prison, to see how many rapists were actually behind bars, but when we got there, we were in for a surprise. The prison had no fences, and the guards had been kicked out. The inmates had taken over the asylum.

"The fact is the justice system is on its knees in Congo," says Van Woudenberg, the human rights investigator. "I can count on one hand the number of cases that we're aware of that have been brought to trial. Literally here people get away with rape, they get away with murder. The chances of being arrested are nil.""

I know that this is not Somalia, but it is very close, and they use the same tactics. I wonder if once they have killed off all the women, it will occur to them to wonder "What now?"

OhMyGosh, isn't that the truth?!?!?!

:furious: How can we as a society sit back and allow these cultural atrocities to happen? Where's Angelina when you need her?! :doh: I hate hearing things like this and knowing I'm helpless to stop any of it, and knowing that it probably happens a lot more than we even hear about. Such a twisted sense of morals and justice, it's appalling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back