1085 users online (180 members and 905 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Attorney Seeks To Spare Casey Anthony From Death Penalty

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,6113475.story

Submitted by defense to prosecution outlining why prosecution should not seek death penalty, in part reads:

"The crime was not cold, calculated and premeditated. In the months leading up to Caylee's disappearance, Anthony's behavior was described by friends and family as "erratic and not entirely rational."

He wrote that filicide the act of a parent killing a child is different than other homicides. The underlying reasons why mothers kill are complex and can be divided into various categories. For example, one type is a parent who kills under influence of mental illness. Another type suggests a parent's motive may be to save the child from real or imagined harm.

Juries are more likely to show mothers mercy. He mentioned Andrea Yates a Texas mother who drowned all five children was sentenced to life in prison. Susan Smith, the Arkansas mother who pushed her car with her two children inside in a lake, got life in prison.
    "

Is this an acknowledgement of Caylee's murder??

ETA: Changed thread title that was my question I was asking per request from mod.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanE View Post

Submitted by defense to prosecution outlining why prosecution should not seek death penalty, in part reads:

"The crime was not cold, calculated and premeditated. In the months leading up to Caylee's disappearance, Anthony's behavior was described by friends and family as "erratic and not entirely rational."

He wrote that filicide the act of a parent killing a child is different than other homicides. The underlying reasons why mothers kill are complex and can be divided into various categories. For example, one type is a parent who kills under influence of mental illness. Another type suggests a parent's motive may be to save the child from real or imagined harm.

Juries are more likely to show mothers mercy. He mentioned Andrea Yates a Texas mother who drowned all five children was sentenced to life in prison. Susan Smith, the Arkansas mother who pushed her car with her two children inside in a lake, got life in prison."
    I was just going to post this. Whoa!!! Why wouldn't he wait to put this out there until after it was decided the state was going for the death penalty?

Quote Originally Posted by Recovering-Lurker View Post
    I was just going to post this. Whoa!!! Why wouldn't he wait to put this out there until after it was decided the state was going for the death penalty?
    I know! She hasn't been tried, let alone convicted, yet!

I fell out of my chair and my mouth's still hanging open!

*shock*

It looks like he is probably trying to convince the state to not seek the death penalty. Once they publicly seek it it is harder to get them to back down. It also almost looks like they may be fishing for a mental health defense or a plea deal to take the death penalty off the table. Which I suspect is what the prosecutors really want. As the Andrea Yates case proved, no matter how evil an act, juries will typically balk at imposing the death penalty on a young woman.

The post partum depression defense?

WOW! Now will they get rid of him like they got rid of TB?
    All my posts are MHO!

Juries are more likely to show mothers mercy. He mentioned Andrea Yates a Texas mother who drowned all five children was sentenced to life in prison. Susan Smith, the Arkansas mother who pushed her car with her two children inside in a lake, got life in prison.
    "

WOW.....so are they going for the mental illness defense now? They sure don't seem to be proclaiming her innocence in this piece, huh. I also find it connfusing that they choose to send this at this particular time. It makes her sound guilty.
    I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart. ~Albany Bach Reid

"

Hard to say with only three sentences out of 30 pages. I would love to see the full context. The "crime" was not cold, calculated and premeditated. Which crime? The not reporting her missing? The filicide sentence could be in a general arguement relevant to the charges versus the penalties usually given in those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by MOMto5 View Post
    WOW.....so are they going for the mental illness defense now? They sure don't seem to be proclaiming her innocence in this piece, huh. I also find it connfusing that they choose to send this at this particular time. It makes her sound guilty.

....which she is. but still!

Isn't 2 1/2 years a little late PPD.

Wow. I can only imagine the story they are concocting for her. I pray that the story includes where little Caylee is.

Ah. What is this? Why on earth would this come out now? Are they indicating that they are willing to bargain? I don't understand what this report is or why it would be released.

OMG is really all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    Isn't 2 1/2 years a little late PPD.
    I would think so but more importantly, is this an admission???

Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast