AZ - Timothy Romans, 39, & Vincent Romero, 29, slain, St Johns, 5 Nov 2008 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
Holy cow.

I take it the kid has some mental issues, and unfortunately will be in the systems his entire life.

Below is a curious statement by LE. There is more to this story.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/11/07/20081107double-homicide1107-ON.html

(snip)
Arizona law generally holds that a child lacks competency to be held responsible for a homicide. However, Melnick said, “We think an exception can be made based on the facts and circumstances … This is precedent-setting. We're going to charge an 8-year-old with two counts of homicide.”

Wow, an 8 year old? What could have been going on in his little mind for him to do that? Prayers for all involved. This is heartbreaking in so many ways.

I'm withholding judgment till I hear more about this kid. How do we know he wasn't being abused by these men?

I suppose it is possible he is just a little demon child, evil from birth. But I am more likely to think that something provoked this.

Either way, how awful.

I'm with Shecky on this. I'll wait for more info before I can have any thought on this case. Something just doesn't sound right. I think there is more to this. An 8 year old child....sounds like there is more to this.

Make that 3. I want to hear what the little guy has to say.

I want to make sure they prove that he really did it. From what I could tell he was questioned without a parent or attorney present even though the police say they did have probable cause.

Below is a curious statement by LE. There is more to this story.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/11/07/20081107double-homicide1107-ON.html

(snip)
Arizona law generally holds that a child lacks competency to be held responsible for a homicide. However, Melnick said, “We think an exception can be made based on the facts and circumstances … This is precedent-setting. We're going to charge an 8-year-old with two counts of homicide.”

I don't understand what you mean Suzi. LE usually doesn't charge a child of 8 if they commit homicide but with the evidence they know in this case they are going to charge him with two counts of homicide. By doing that they will have set a precedent. Imo, that is the story and it must be chilling as to what they have uncovered.

So this must have been one cunning, premeditated crime committed by this boy.

I hope they will be able to contain him for the rest of his life. If he is a murderer at 8 years old he will only get worse if not punished at all for what he has done.

He seemed to have laid in wait and killed the father as he slept and then waylaid his dad's coworker when he was opening the front door. He probably killed the other man so he wouldn't know his dad had been murdered.

These cases like this just never seem to end and the motives of these young killers are usually very trivial.

What a tragedy.

imoo

Ocean, I meant exactly what you stated.

ETA: it is unusual which is why I found the comment curious.

He had never been in trouble before and LE isn't disclosing the motive.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/07/child.charged.ap/index.html

An 8-year-old boy is charged with murder in the shooting of his father and another man in a rural community in eastern Arizona, authorities said Friday.
The boy was charged with two counts of premeditated murder in the death of his father, 29-year-old Vincent Romero, and 39-year-old Timothy Romans, St. Johns Police Chief Roy Melnick said. (more at link)

According to the article above, his biological mother had been visiting that weekend before the murders. Maybe he wanted to live with his mom.

8 years old! I just cannot wrap my mind around him being a "bad" kid. My gut feeling is that these guys were hurting him somehow. Whatever the circumstances, I feel for this little boy. Guess time will tell....

I'm interested as well to see exactly how LE plans on charging an 8 yr old who has never been in trouble, not even a disciplinary record at school with a double homicide to the point it will set precedence. I don't know how an 8 yr old could understand the implications and consequences of murder. This is a tiny town in rural AZ... I'm sure this is a shock to the entire community as well as LE. Things are not sitting right with me with the few facts available in the case.

Im wondering if the boy was being sexually abused by these two? I think if it had been an accident then only one would have been shot
I think there is way more here then what the press is telling right now.
or I suppose the mother could have put him up to it...she had been visiting

I find it very disturbing that an 8 year old even had access to a weapon and ammunition :eek:

My gut reaction is to always think that it cant possibly be the childs fault. It goes against human nature to think that a child is capable of such horrible things.

BUT then I come to my senses. I really believe that sociopaths are born that way. That it's very possible to have an evil psychotic child. I think we are just seeing more JR Ted Bundys today than ever before. Either things things were "hidden" in the past, or something has changed to allow them to act out at much younger ages. Any way you look at it, the child is doomed and it's a tragedy for all of us.

I am definitely waiting for this to unfold-this defies reason as far as I am concerned. Even the possibility that there are special circumstances and this child was laying in wait....8 year olds cannot vote or drive for a reason, imo.

I'm withholding judgment till I hear more about this kid. How do we know he wasn't being abused by these men?

I suppose it is possible he is just a little demon child, evil from birth. But I am more likely to think that something provoked this.

Either way, how awful.

I was thinkin the same thing. Im sure the 8 year old didnt just wake up one morning and think hmmmmmmmm im gonna kill my two people today. I hope they find out why and its such a tragedy that a child did this. I have a 9 year old and I cannot even fathom him doing something like that. Also let me add that I watched something the other day and some children are brought up to be violent like this, so by the ages of 7 or 8 are completely capable of murder. This case is just shocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1