VA VA - Lt. Todd Cox, 40, Norfolk, 24 April 2008

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
OK...I saw this on NG and I cannot find anything on it! Can someone help me out here? I didn't catch the name, but he was walking his dog and was shot in front of his two daughters plus girlfriend in VA.

Was this the same story that surfaced during Meghan Landowski's murder initially? I guess I don't understand why it came up on NG night before last as if it just had happened. I am at a loss to explain this one. Anyone?

OK...I saw this on NG and I cannot find anything on it! Can someone help me out here? I didn't catch the name, but he was walking his dog and was shot in front of his two daughters plus girlfriend in VA.

Was this the same story that surfaced during Meghan Landowski's murder initially? I guess I don't understand why it came up on NG night before last as if it just had happened. I am at a loss to explain this one. Anyone?
Some newspaper links. First I'd heard of it too...
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/04/navy-man-walking-fianceé-identified-slaying-victim

http://www.norfolk.com/2008/04/no-arrest-slaying-navy-officer-norfolk-funeral-tuesday

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/07/exwife-seeks-public’s-help-finding-navy-lieutenants-killer

ETA: very brief

Navy Officer Killed in Norfolk Shooting IdentifiedStory Number: NNS080426-08Release Date: 4/26/2008 3:04:00 PM

From Commander, Naval Air Force Atlantic Public Affairs

NORFOLK (NNS) -- An officer assigned to Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron VAW 125 died Thursday night from multiple gunshot wounds.

Lt. Todd M. Cox, 40, of Altoona, Pa., was shot several times by an unknown assailant. He was transported to Norfolk Sentara Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Cox joined the Navy July 1985 and had been assigned to the squadron since August 2006 where he worked as an aviation maintenance officer.

The Norfolk Police Department is investigating the shooting.
http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=36675

Apparently Lt. Cox's fiancee wrote Nancy Grace a letter asking her to feature his murder on her show. The following is an article from the Norfolk, VA, Virginian-Pilot.

Ex-wife seeks public’s help in finding Navy lieutenant's killer

~snip~

Todd Cox shoved his fiancee out of the way, Laurie Cox said. The assailant shot him repeatedly at close range as the girls - who were up ahead with the dog - sprinted frantically for safety behind a tree. Then the gunman drove off unhurriedly.

~snip~

For complete article, go to:

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/07/exwife-seeks-public%E2%80%99s-help-finding-navy-lieutenants-killer

Lt. Todd Cox was a Navy officer who had joined the Navy at age 17 as an enlisted man and worked his way up through the ranks. He was gunned down in cold blood in front his his fiancee and two children. One was a child from her former marriage and one was a child from his former marriage. The four of them were out for a walk with the dog when a man in a pick up truck pulled up, stopped, got out of the truck, and repeatedly shot Lt. Cox. The man then got back into his truck and drove off.

I suspect that the killer either knew Lt. Cox and had some sort of grudge against him or it was a matter of badly, badly mistaken identity.

I got the impression that the fiancee had just recently agreed to go on TV and make a plea, because the case was going nowhere.

". . . there still is no arrest in the murder of Navy Lieutenant Todd Cox on Beverly Avenue. "
http://wardscornernow.com/2008/04/27/police-continue-to-pursue-leads-in-murder-of-naval-officer/

Thanks, Everyone! That would explain it then! My first thought was, "Wow...this is exactly like what happened to the other man!". No wonder I thought that!

I will have to check to see if we have already started a thread on Cox here. Again...thanks for explaining it to me.

Police continue to pursue leads in murder of Naval officer

Navy Lieutenant Todd Cox

I may have missed it as Va. Pilot links don't seem to be working any longer. But I have yet to read an actual discription of the killer, the truck etc. Is there a composite sketch?

I did find this from the Nancy Grace interview:

GRACE: You know, it`s hard enough when violent crime touches your life, but at such a young age, 9 and 11? What can you remember about that night? What do you remember about the shooter?

MCGUIRE: I just looked at him briefly, as he passed us, driving down the street. Just a black male. I believe he had on a white tee shirt and blue jeans. I really saw him get out of the truck out of my peripheral vision, and before I knew it, Todd had pushed me down on the ground, and the shots started. So I didn`t really get a very — you know, very long look at him.

GRACE: What about the truck? What do you recall about the truck? What can you tell us about that?

MCGUIRE: It was a mid `90s model Ford F150. It was white, two-toned with green. So the base of the truck was white with green stripes. Just an older, kind of beat-up work-type truck.

GRACE: Did he say anything? Were any words exchanged?

MCGUIRE: No, he didn`t say a word.

GRACE: What did you do as soon as he was shot? What did you do?

MCGUIRE: I was — I was laying on the ground, and I had my arms over my head. Basically, once I realized what was happening, really, I just laid there and waited to get shot myself. I thought for sure that he was going to shoot me, too.

And then as soon as the shots stopped, I heard the truck start, and the truck was leaving, and I looked over.

GRACE: Everyone, Megan, hold on one moment. We`re going to break. She is going to join us afterwards, and we`re going to give you the tip line again.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back