Kindergartner suspended b/c of mohawk

Personally, I think it's silly as hell to care too much how a kindergardener styles his hair.

That said, this is a charter school with uniform and grooming rules. My sons also attend a charter school with a uniform and grooming rules. From the article, it sounds like these parents were warned three times that the child's hair was not in line with the school's standards.

They chose to ignore these warnings, disrespect the school's policies and do whatever they wanted - essentially, they set their child up to be expelled and I find that unacceptable. I don't respect the parents's choices here and I think they were in the wrong.

IMHO schools should not be able to tell a parent how to style their childs hair. I don't see how a mohawk would break a grooming rule. It might have been distracting the first day or so but the children would have gotten used to seeing it and it would no longer be a big deal.

Personally I think its appalling. The mohawk not the suspension.
Why ? Why do people have to style childrens hair that is not a childs hairstyle but an adults and one associated with violence ?

I'm sorry if this is what you choose to do to your childs hair, but I do happen to find it offensive

Quoted from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohawk_hairstyle

Also, the mohawk is well-known for its use in Trojan armor, symbolizing power and the heart of a warrior. Today mohawks have evolved from a symbol of a warrior to a phrase commonly use in the punk subculture anarchy, meaning without government. "Anarchy" mohawks can often differ from a trojan mohawk due to its length and somewhat spikey appearance, whereas a trojan mohawk is 2-3 inches and less spikey.

Bold is mine, and that is why he was suspended no doubt, because that IS What mohawks represent. Why would a school want a child there that is flouting what a mohawk stands for.

Its not fashionable and looking at that child in the link, he looks awful. A 6 year old boy should look like a Little Boy, there is plenty of time for him to be a man later..

problem with society today is the making of our children to grow up well beyond their time

JMO

Oh Jane :confused:

I hope you show this much agnst for issues like adequate school supplies, nutritious lunches/snacks, child to teacher ratio, and decent salaries.

I guess I rather pick my battles. :twocents:

Peace,
Funny Face

I don't care how my students look, although I do draw the line at the "Insane Clown Posse" makeup in class. It's distracting for ME. :) Save it for the weekends.

The parents in this situation were warned, and they really did set their kid up for expulsion. I feel bad for the kid. :( However, I have a cousin who allowed her DAUGHTER to get a mohawk and the school couldn't have cared less. :) She did look really weird though. (She was 6.)

Like I said earlier, two of my boys have mohawks. Naje (who is 9) decided he wanted a mohawk because he wanted to stand out in a school full of cookie cutter kids. JJ just wanted to be like his big brother. At first it was really tall and he used gel to spike it up but he has since cut it a little shorter and wears it curly. I caught a lot of heck for letting him do it from strangers and people that don't know him, but you know what? He is a great kid with an exceptional mind and having his hair like that does not change that. I see nothing wrong with letting him express himself.

It is not like this mother did not have fair warning. What did she think the school was doing to do, after two warning, they issue a third and suspended the child.

Any responsible parents is going to heed the warning, not once but twice.

She left the school no choice, the haircut in their opinion affects the learning environment. It affects other kids in the opinion of the school.

But the Mom then does nothing. Please.

FWIW, if a parent chooses to have their child in a parochial or charter school they agree to not have the same free choices a child might have with a dress code in a public school. Dress code includes peircings, hair styles and clothing. My KG'r asked for a mohawk several times and the answer was a no. His school has specific rules about that, and while he has a flat top style cut which he can spike up, there are still rules... I may not agree with them, but I agree to abide by them when I chose this school.

I see the parents of this boy decided they would send him to another school. Their choice.

I also think it's ridiculous to worry about hairstyles when there are more pressing problems with all of our schools. However, three warnings is plenty for the mom so she really doesn't have much reason to scream at the school about the expulsion.

Also while private schools have dress codes and rules, I would point out that public schools do as well. The high school I went to would kick a guy out for having hair below his collar. It's stupid but that was the rule.

I think suspending the child for his hair style is really stupid. Geez, at the school I work at, we deal with abused, homeless, and foster kids. A lot of the kids come from families where things are just so wrong. These poor kids don't want to go home because they are safer at school than at home. It's hard to understand why someone would get so fired up about a hair style when so many worse things are going on.

Why ? Why do people have to style childrens hair that is not a childs hairstyle but an adults and one associated with violence ?

I'm sorry if this is what you choose to do to your childs hair, but I do happen to find it offensive

Bold is mine, and that is why he was suspended no doubt, because that IS What mohawks represent. Why would a school want a child there that is flouting what a mohawk stands for.

Its not fashionable and looking at that child in the link, he looks awful. A 6 year old boy should look like a Little Boy, there is plenty of time for him to be a man later..

problem with society today is the making of our children to grow up well beyond their time

JMO

Where do you get the info aside from wikipedia? That's ridiculous. Only those who have a mohawk that are violent to begin with are violent. Not the hairstyle. It's based on a Native American tribe to begin with. You shouldn't only associate it with some troublesome punks.
Are you racist?

I understand that this a charter school that can impose their own standards. There's plenty of misunderstanding going around that could have changed the out come.
1. no rule book standard about hair cut.
2. 3 reminders to parents about haircut. Where they same person(s) who interpreted (their self imposed standards) or sought to hold the school to higher standands?
3. It could have been fruitful if the parents requested a meeting with the school board to determine where the conflict was. Maybe with dicussion some modifications by both sides could have lead to less grief and discontentment.
Life is lived in shades of grey.

Peace,
Funny Face

IMHO schools should not be able to tell a parent how to style their childs hair. I don't see how a mohawk would break a grooming rule. It might have been distracting the first day or so but the children would have gotten used to seeing it and it would no longer be a big deal.

I agree with you, but charter schools and private schools do this all the time - they impose dress and grooming standards on our children. We either let them impose these standards or we don't send our children there.

It is irresponsible to send our children to a school and then repeatedly cause our child to break that school's rules.

FWIW - I love a mohawk and I think hairstyles should be the least of our worries in elementary school. However, the school was clear with the parents about what the school expected. The parents were wrong to cause their son to get expelled in kindergarden just to make a point.

One of my dearest friends has two sons with mohawks and guess what - she homeschools!!

JMO
Thanks for the link. That was interesting reading. The little guys in the photo is alot different from the mohawks that were brought to mind.
I remember kids in my h.s. class being suspended for wearing the infamous Beatle haircuts of the 60's.

Where do you get the info aside from wikipedia? That's ridiculous. Only those who have a mohawk that are violent to begin with are violent. Not the hairstyle. It's based on a Native American tribe to begin with. You shouldn't only associate it with some troublesome punks.
Are you racist?
Wow

How Rude.

Considering I have been off congratulating Barack all over the place I hardly think one could call me a Racist...do you?

And yes I know its based on a Native American Tribe, and that is who should be wearing it , Native Americans in their Tribe.

And you mis represented what i actually said...

I still don't think its appropriate for a 6 year old or 10 0r 13 etc to have ...

When they are a young man and wish to style their hair in any manner then fine..they can colour it pink and put purple spots through it for all I care (although the comedy factor would be high)

But why is this world so intent on making our children grow up so quickly ?

Dressing them not age appropriately , letting them have piercings as children, and ridiculous haircuts...WHY ?

Do we not have enough problems in this world ?

Yes we do, and that is why it is my firm belief that we need to allow our children to be children .................

What is happening in this world is that they are being made to grow up far to quickly, and so turn to things that a MUCH OLDER child would perhaps do and are not age appropriateness ready...

Its just my opinion...but nothing i said was racial...Calling someone A Racist not appropriate, when they have in no way said anything that could be taken as a racial slur

JMO

This information is one sourced. If you further research you will see that as native american's used this style as a sign of being proud and honorable. Yes, people have since taken this style to the extreme, but seriously my 6 year old is not a punk rocker. He likes the style and got it more from seeing Angelina Jolies kids and not punks. I do not find the cut offensive, but you on the other hand...

I do find it offensive that the parents, knowing full well the outcome of "their decision" in regards to the haircut, that they would 'use" this situation for the publicity.

Come on, we are talking about a little boy. A boy who now has been humiliated, singled out as "that boy" and the parents using their child to make a statement.

I for one find it again offensive to call anyone "racist". The hair cut "may" have been used in the past by American Natives. Fine. But "the current" everyday association has been of youths(yes teenagers)who sport the "look" to stand out.

The haircut, has and will be associated with punk culture.

BTW, a symbol of a particular group of people in Germany was only associated with that group. The symbol is banned. But it is an ancient symbol, but if you see the symbol, you associate it with a horrible man who ordered millions of people killed based on religion.

You see it was an innocent symbol, until it was used by a particular man in Germany. It will forever be associated with the historical events that lead to the murder of 6 million people.

I think it's hideous...if a teeen needs to express himself (hahahahaha) sure, but a 6 year old. Why not let him look cute for a while instead of chopping his hair off like that so he looks unkept...

MO

I don't think the child woke up one day and decided he wanted a mohawk haircut.

When our kids were young, the PARENTS(us) decided what type of haircut the child received.

Our oldest decided "he wanted" ALL of his hair cut off. Did we say..sure why not. No, we are parents. We told him that it would not be appropriate after all he was only 7.

The kid is not the problem here, the school is not the problem here, the rules are not the problem here. The parents are the problem here. They should not sacrifice their child's education to make a statement. Nor should they use the child to make a statement

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back