807 users online (109 members and 698 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

NY - Arthur Shawcross dead at 63

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — Serial killer Arthur Shawcross, who was serving life in prison for strangling 11 women in the Rochester area, has died at 63.

Shawcross died late Monday at an Albany hospital, where he had been taken after complaining of leg pain earlier in the day at the Sullivan Correctional Facility, Corrections Department spokesman Erik Kriss said Tuesday. The cause of death was still under investigation, he said.

Shawcross' 13-week trial for 10 of the killings included graphic testimony about mutilation and cannibalism

Shawcross' victims, most of them prostitutes, were killed in the period from March 1988 to January 1990. At the time, he was on parole after serving 15 years in prison for killing two children in northern New York's Watertown in 1972.

Shawcross was arrested in January 1990, a day after state police spotted him near the frozen body of one of his victims.

Entire article here.

Over the many years, of all the many books I have read on true crime and forensics, his case was one of those that gave me nightmares. Good riddance...

I hope they got a whole lot of good information from him-he was beyond.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Yes, good riddance! In the late 80's I lived right around the corner from that sicko--I lived on Park Ave, and he lived on Alexander. When he was arrested and they searched his house on Alexander, I remember the polics completely blocking off Alexander for over a day. It was so scary. He was very creepy! (I was surprised to see how young he was when he died though, I had thought he was older than early 40's when arrested, but I was young then, so he must have seemed old...)

Fifteen years for killing two children, wow. He got to have a natural death at a fairly old age.

My prayers for all the families involved..

This guy was a total POS. I had actually never heard of him until I saw something on him on the Biography channel. Wasn't he considered the something River killer? He was convicted of killing a child, suspected of killing one other. Was only given 15 years then released, and sent to Rochester to live and nobody there knew who he was. Nobody wanted him in their city so officials sent him to live in Rochester, under the radar, and that is when all these women wound up dead.

He is a true POS and a child kiler. I hope he is in hell.

The Genessee River Killer

Finally I found the thread on this sociopath. I need someone to explain something to me. I watched the interview on netflix. "Interview with a Seriel Killer". They have a Havard Psychologist and a Neurologist in the interview. One of them says Art has a seizure before killing, the other says Art has no memory of committing the murders then Art describes one of the murders. During the interview he is asked about a particular victim and he proudly holds up his arm and says I killed that one with my left hand. I believe he says it twice in this really cocky waiting for someone to give him an "attaboy" or a cookie kinda way for a job well done. My question is were these professionals really fooled by him? He obviouly knew what he was doing. He described things in detail. Why would they go on film and say he didn't know what he was doing. And when the psychologist had him under hypnosis? I'm sorry but in my opinion that man was not hypnotized he was full of crap. Even going as far to blame his elderly mother for his demented perverse mind. POS. Coward. I just don't understand the professionals statements in this. Please explain

You are correct. He knew every move he made. Was not hypnotized. I do not know why the pros said those things.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey222 View Post
    You are correct. He knew every move he made. Was not hypnotized. I do not know why the pros said those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julessleuther View Post
    Yes, good riddance! In the late 80's I lived right around the corner from that sicko--I lived on Park Ave, and he lived on Alexander. When he was arrested and they searched his house on Alexander, I remember the polics completely blocking off Alexander for over a day. It was so scary. He was very creepy! (I was surprised to see how young he was when he died though, I had thought he was older than early 40's when arrested, but I was young then, so he must have seemed old...)
    Well, howdy old neighbor. This brings up crazy memories. I found out after he was arrested that he lived in a house that backed to my apartment at the time. I was waiting tables while I looked for a job after graduating from college. It was a 15 minute walk to downtown. I had to be at work at 6am. I ran to work everyday in fear of that monster. My now husband would say, "But, you are not a prostitute or drifter." I would reply, "In a winter coat bundled up against the frigid wind and snow we all look the same." When he was caught so close to home it was unreal. LE screwed up big time. On a more positive note, we loved being so close to Country Sweet!

Yes, howdy all. I remember well - him going to Duncan Donuts on Monroe/Alexander first thing in am (determined now to be after a known killing), taking donuts to receptionists at hospital across street - who tossed them after he left.