776 users online (104 members and 672 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

MO - Jo Ellen Weigel, 18, Lee’s Summit, July 1970 - Michael Cline fugitive

Cold case about teen love gone bad haunts detective

The following account is based on court documents and newly released details in the 1970 murder case, State of Missouri v. Michael Cline:
    On July 5, 1970, a water skier dropped into the water of Lake Winnebago. When he surfaced, a girl’s body floated up with him.
    It was wrapped in netting and weighted with a concrete block and two large jugs of lake water.
    The victim was Jo Ellen Weigel, 18, a pretty, smart, recent graduate of Lee’s Summit High School.
    An autopsy revealed that she was four months pregnant. Jo Ellen had told her best friend and had said that she and her boyfriend, Mike Cline, would soon be married.
    She showed the friend a wedding ring. Cline didn’t want a ring for himself, she added.
    The two had dated about two years, and both were members of the National Honor Society.
    Before leaving on a date July 2, 1970, the couple stood outside the Weigel home in Lee’s Summit and argued for about 20 minutes. Jo Ellen was to spend the night at a friend’s house.
    When she did not return the next day, her parents attempted to contact Cline. He did not return their call until 11 p.m.
    He told them that he and Jo Ellen had gotten married and that he had put her on a bus to Columbia, where a Weigel family member lived. The parents drove to Columbia, and the family member told them she had not heard from Jo Ellen.

Snipped
    http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/881880.html

This family deserves closure and Justice. Please look and see if you recognize this man.
    Last edited by Cubby; 01-12-2011 at 10:46 AM.

hmm thats strange I wonder if hubby was ruled out for sure.

No, he's on the run. Never ruled him out.

Bumping case up

As arrogant as the newspaper article makes Mike Cline sound... I decided to do a search online and see what I could find. Arrogant people think they can get by with anything. Armed with what we know from Detective Mike Klinefelter I found this man.

1. Michael L Cline - Veterinarian/California (Mike Clines father was also a Veterinarian)
    2. This veterinarian wife's name is Ellen (Mike Clines murder victim was name Jo Ellen)
    3. This Michael L Cline/Veterinarian/California is connected to a trust fund called The Cline Family Trust (Detectives believe Mike Clines family may have helped him get away)

It seems like a lot of coincidences.. but one never knows just how arrogant a person can really be.

I sent the information to Detective Mike Klinefelter at the Cass County Sheriff’s Dept... just something to look into.

I don't think I can ever waterski again without worrying about what might come up with me..

I seen & done some wild stuff on ski's but I never even heard of something like that..

Yaya - the California veterinarian was born in 1954 - a two-year age discrepancy from the fugitive.

Do we know the fugitive's middle name/initial?

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    What fugitive would be dumb enough to live under his own name in his own country?

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    I agree - doesn't seem like he'd use his same name. HOWEVER, the pictures are very similar:

1 - Mike Cline (the boyfriend/fugitive)
    2 & 3 - Mike Cline (the vet in CA, as young man and currently)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not so much dumb, but brazen. Probably feels he can't be caught. The same type of guy that would flip off investigators while waterskiiing days after the body was found.

He does look almost identical...Did LE take any interest when you forwarded it?

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    Yaya - the California veterinarian was born in 1954 - a two-year age discrepancy from the fugitive.

Do we know the fugitive's middle name/initial?
    BUT - the info on the vet's website says that he started working there in his early 20s. If he "turned back" his birthyear by a couple of years, and the other Mike Cline (boyfriend) was 18 when he ran off, then that age/birthdate work out well. Just seem to be too many coincidences, including the EXACT hairstyle, color, etc.

I was wondering if there was a family connection b/t the Clines and the vet clinic that this other Mike Cline is at. It says that Mike Cline began working there for a previous owner, Dr. Walker. I found a Donald Cline who graduated from Kansas State Vet School (http://www.vet.ksu.edu/depts/alumni/.../class1953.htm) in 1953. However, I can't find a "Walker" within several years either way of this Donald Cline. Anyone else think there might be a link there...?

BUT - the info on the vet's website says that he started working there in his early 20s. If he "turned back" his birthyear by a couple of years, and the other Mike Cline (boyfriend) was 18 when he ran off, then that age/birthdate work out well. Just seem to be too many coincidences, including the EXACT hairstyle, color, etc.
    I wouldn't use it as a rule out by any means but the age discrepancy would work the other way, i.e., California Mike is 2 years younger than Missouri Mike. That might be useful for two reasons: fewer years to explain away gaps in his resume and obviously a new DOB for official purposes.

Of course, the likelihood is overwhelming that this is just an interesting coincidence and absolutely no more than that.

Yaya - I don't attach any significance to the spouse's name but Zabasearch leads me to believe that California Mike's spouse is not named Ellen. Also, given the veterinarian's background and history (i.e., starting out cleaning kennels when he was already at or past college age) I would be surprised to find that he had access to a family trust! What led you to that information?

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    I agree - doesn't seem like he'd use his same name. HOWEVER, the pictures are very similar:

1 - Mike Cline (the boyfriend/fugitive)
    2 & 3 - Mike Cline (the vet in CA, as young man and currently)
    You all are doing such wonderful work!!! You have given me alot of things to check into now.
    This case has kept me frustrated running into dead ends.
    This arrogance of this man is unbelievable.
    I have to say the picture of the Vet is strikingly similar. The ears are what stood out the most to me. The shape and size are the same and they have a unique lobe to them.
    YaYa, have you heard anything back from Mike Klinefelter?
    I really hope you are on to something here!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast