MO MO - Jo Ellen Weigel, 18, pregnant, Lee’s Summit, 2 July 1970

rccook555

Reaction score
Cold case about teen love gone bad haunts detective

The following account is based on court documents and newly released details in the 1970 murder case, State of Missouri v. Michael Cline:
On July 5, 1970, a water skier dropped into the water of Lake Winnebago. When he surfaced, a girl’s body floated up with him.
It was wrapped in netting and weighted with a concrete block and two large jugs of lake water.
The victim was Jo Ellen Weigel, 18, a pretty, smart, recent graduate of Lee’s Summit High School.
An autopsy revealed that she was four months pregnant. Jo Ellen had told her best friend and had said that she and her boyfriend, Mike Cline, would soon be married.
She showed the friend a wedding ring. Cline didn’t want a ring for himself, she added.
The two had dated about two years, and both were members of the National Honor Society.
Before leaving on a date July 2, 1970, the couple stood outside the Weigel home in Lee’s Summit and argued for about 20 minutes. Jo Ellen was to spend the night at a friend’s house.
When she did not return the next day, her parents attempted to contact Cline. He did not return their call until 11 p.m.
He told them that he and Jo Ellen had gotten married and that he had put her on a bus to Columbia, where a Weigel family member lived. The parents drove to Columbia, and the family member told them she had not heard from Jo Ellen.

Snipped
http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/881880.html

This family deserves closure and Justice. Please look and see if you recognize this man.

hmm thats strange I wonder if hubby was ruled out for sure.

As arrogant as the newspaper article makes Mike Cline sound... I decided to do a search online and see what I could find. Arrogant people think they can get by with anything. Armed with what we know from Detective Mike Klinefelter I found this man.

1. Michael L Cline - Veterinarian/California (Mike Clines father was also a Veterinarian)
2. This veterinarian wife's name is Ellen (Mike Clines murder victim was name Jo Ellen)
3. This Michael L Cline/Veterinarian/California is connected to a trust fund called The Cline Family Trust (Detectives believe Mike Clines family may have helped him get away)

It seems like a lot of coincidences.. but one never knows just how arrogant a person can really be.

I sent the information to Detective Mike Klinefelter at the Cass County Sheriff’s Dept... just something to look into.

I don't think I can ever waterski again without worrying about what might come up with me..

I seen & done some wild stuff on ski's but I never even heard of something like that..

Yaya - the California veterinarian was born in 1954 - a two-year age discrepancy from the fugitive.

Do we know the fugitive's middle name/initial?

What fugitive would be dumb enough to live under his own name in his own country?

I agree - doesn't seem like he'd use his same name. HOWEVER, the pictures are very similar:

1 - Mike Cline (the boyfriend/fugitive)
2 & 3 - Mike Cline (the vet in CA, as young man and currently)

Attachments

• Mike Cline.jpg
    Mike Cline.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 329
  • dr_-cline-as-child.jpg
    dr_-cline-as-child.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 328
  • drCline.jpg
    drCline.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 299
Not so much dumb, but brazen. Probably feels he can't be caught. The same type of guy that would flip off investigators while waterskiiing days after the body was found.

Yaya - the California veterinarian was born in 1954 - a two-year age discrepancy from the fugitive.

Do we know the fugitive's middle name/initial?

BUT - the info on the vet's website says that he started working there in his early 20s. If he "turned back" his birthyear by a couple of years, and the other Mike Cline (boyfriend) was 18 when he ran off, then that age/birthdate work out well. Just seem to be too many coincidences, including the EXACT hairstyle, color, etc.

I was wondering if there was a family connection b/t the Clines and the vet clinic that this other Mike Cline is at. It says that Mike Cline began working there for a previous owner, Dr. Walker. I found a Donald Cline who graduated from Kansas State Vet School (http://www.vet.ksu.edu/depts/alumni/composites/class1953.htm) in 1953. However, I can't find a "Walker" within several years either way of this Donald Cline. Anyone else think there might be a link there...?

BUT - the info on the vet's website says that he started working there in his early 20s. If he "turned back" his birthyear by a couple of years, and the other Mike Cline (boyfriend) was 18 when he ran off, then that age/birthdate work out well. Just seem to be too many coincidences, including the EXACT hairstyle, color, etc.

I wouldn't use it as a rule out by any means but the age discrepancy would work the other way, i.e., California Mike is 2 years younger than Missouri Mike. That might be useful for two reasons: fewer years to explain away gaps in his resume and obviously a new DOB for official purposes.

Of course, the likelihood is overwhelming that this is just an interesting coincidence and absolutely no more than that.

Yaya - I don't attach any significance to the spouse's name but Zabasearch leads me to believe that California Mike's spouse is not named Ellen. Also, given the veterinarian's background and history (i.e., starting out cleaning kennels when he was already at or past college age) I would be surprised to find that he had access to a family trust! What led you to that information?

I agree - doesn't seem like he'd use his same name. HOWEVER, the pictures are very similar:

1 - Mike Cline (the boyfriend/fugitive)
2 & 3 - Mike Cline (the vet in CA, as young man and currently)

You all are doing such wonderful work!!! You have given me alot of things to check into now.
This case has kept me frustrated running into dead ends.
This arrogance of this man is unbelievable.
I have to say the picture of the Vet is strikingly similar. The ears are what stood out the most to me. The shape and size are the same and they have a unique lobe to them.
YaYa, have you heard anything back from Mike Klinefelter?
I really hope you are on to something here!

Is anybody still following up on this with LE? I really think we may be onto something...

Because of the title of this thread I never saw it until today. Can the title of the thread be changed? I have the original articles and more from when this crime was front page news.

Michael Cline’s middle name was Lewis. His father was the Donald Cline referenced in an earlier/old post who graduated from KSU. Donald and Michael’s mother Chris are both deceased now. His two sisters married and moved away but at last check his brother still lives in the original family home on the lake which is in a gated community.

Jo Ellen Weigel’s parents are both deceased but her older sister and family are still in the area. The Weigel family has refused all interviews since the first anniversary of Jo Ellen’s death. I have never understood that.

Michael Cline’s attorney was Alex Peebles. Mr. Peebles passed away around 2002 or so. During his legal career Mr. Peebles represented clients such as mobster Anthony Civella, and 3 time murderess Sharon Kenny. One of Mr. Peebles’ sons still practices law. In interviews that he gave later in life Mr. Peebles would talk some about Sharon Kenny because it is commonly believed that she is dead, but he would never speak much on Michael Cline, claiming that if Cline is still alive then he would still be protected by attorney – client privilege. I had always hoped that Mr. Peebles might have written his memoirs to be published after his death, but apparently he took his secrets with him. It has been speculated by LE that when the Grand Jury handed down their true bill that Peebles called the Cline residence and told Michael that they were coming to arrest him, and so Michael fled.

I have often wondered if Donald Cline had called any attorney other than Alex Peebles to represent his son if this case might have turned out differently.

When Donald Cline passed in 1988, among other siblings he had a brother John living in Sebastopol, CA. and a sister Lois Kinder (no name of spouse given) living in Red Bluff, CA. Red Bluff is just 18 miles south of Anderson on I-5 in northern CA. Sebastopol is in southern CA.
Can any connection be made between the CA Michael Cline and Lois Kinder?

Because of the title of this thread I never saw it until today. Can the title of the thread be changed? I have the original articles and more from when this crime was front page news.

Michael Cline’s middle name was Lewis. His father was the Donald Cline referenced in an earlier/old post who graduated from KSU.
Donald and Michael’s mother Chris are both deceased now.
His two sisters married and moved away but at last check his brother still lives in the original family home on the lake which is in a gated community.

Jo Ellen Weigel’s parents are both deceased but her older sister and family are still in the area. The Weigel family has refused all interviews since the first anniversary of Jo Ellen’s death. I have never understood that.

Michael Cline’s attorney was Alex Peebles. Mr. Peebles passed away around 2002 or so. During his legal career Mr. Peebles represented clients such as mobster Anthony Civella, and 3 time murderess Sharon Kenny. One of Mr. Peebles’ sons still practices law. In interviews that he gave later in life Mr. Peebles would talk some about Sharon Kenny because it is commonly believed that she is dead, but he would never speak much on Michael Cline, claiming that if Cline is still alive then he would still be protected by attorney – client privilege. I had always hoped that Mr. Peebles might have written his memoirs to be published after his death, but apparently he took his secrets with him. It has been speculated by LE that when the Grand Jury handed down their true bill that Peebles called the Cline residence and told Michael that they were coming to arrest him, and so Michael fled.

I have often wondered if Donald Cline had called any attorney other than Alex Peebles to represent his son if this case might have turned out differently.

Correction: Donald Cline is deceased. Chris is alive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back