Found Deceased NC - Douglas Simmons, 20, Raleigh, 10 July 1990

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Vask, ty.

Douglas Stephen Simmons

Missing since July 10, 1990 from Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina.
Classification: Endangered Missing

# Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: April 9, 1970
# Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
# Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10; 155 pounds
# Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes.
# Marks, Scars: Simmons has surgical scars on his left wrist and his right ankle. He also has a healed fracture on his right ankle. He has a small scar under his left eye.
# Clothing: A red and white baseball cap, a white tank top, gray bermuda shorts and white high-top Reeboks. He was also wearing a small gold rectangle key chain with the initials "DSS".

The concert he attended was in NC, he was a college student in FL.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/131dmnc.html
progress.gif

I don't understand why it took his father 4 days to come after being told his son was missing.....to travel a few states from Florida to N.C.?

He's dead, and was dead after being beaten savagely that night, imo.
Using the tools I use (Astrology), I see the ones he knew are ones who more then likely killed him. Seems to be more then one person, and jealousy or revenge the motive.

I do not believe he made it to New Jersey as the witness there thought.

However, IF his vehicle was missing from the Concert parking lot, then I'd reconsider my position, however as of now, if that car was sitting in the lot, I don't think he ever left that concert area alive.

I don't understand why it took his father 4 days to come after being told his son was missing.....to travel a few states from Florida to N.C.?

There could be many reasons why it took the father 4 days to travel. We don't know his work situation, (not all employers are gracious enough to give you time off...maybe he could not afford to quit and thought his son would show up in a few days). Maybe he was ill at the time, (possibly in the hospital). What about his wife, if married, maybe she was in the hospital or other immediate family. Vehicles?? Did he have one, was it working (maybe in the shop being worked on and trying to find one to borrow)??? To rent a car you usually have to have a credit card, maybe he did not have one. Flying??? Maybe he did not have the money to fly. Maybe he was calling other relatives to see if his son had shown up at their home or they had , at least, heard from him. Maybe he did not have a clue what to do first and certain arrangements had to be made before he could leave. Not everyone handles a crisis the same way.

These are all thoughts I had based on my own experiences.

True, all good points why it took 4 days to get there.
I suppose it's easier to understand when you walk a mile in someone else's shoes and a similar experience one can relate to.

True, all good points why it took 4 days to get there.
I suppose it's easier to understand when you walk a mile in someone else's shoes and a similar experience one can relate to.

Yes, it is. One thing I have learned over the years based on my own experiences is that I don't have a rush to judgement attitude where others are concerned. It is real easy to be a back seat driver or armchair quarterback but when it is happening to you in real life everyone reacts differently.

Yes, it is. One thing I have learned over the years based on my own experiences is that I don't have a rush to judgement attitude where others are concerned. It is real easy to be a back seat driver or armchair quarterback but when it is happening to you in real life everyone reacts differently.

True. However, and this is not a caveat to "true", that free association, discussion and differences of opinion, is also quite worthy which is what this forum and the various case threads depends upon, is also worthwhile, for by doing so, one may "think" of another way of thinking as regards a case by bringing about different ideas.

People are quite unique in their own ways and often, ideas that aren't the status quo can both be met with disdain OR met with the spirit of cooperativeness in exchange.

As for the father, I cannot think of any reason why I would not have been there pronto, however, I do agree that others may have any number of issues going on, or other important things to attend to that could delay such a search.
And of course I speak from my own personal experience of a missing child and how quickly my husband and I reacted. I can't speak for others, I can only "wonder".

Many or any one of these issues could be as mentioned earlier. Job issues, (the son disappeared for days before issues), any number or any one.
But I do think it's worthwhile to at least ruminate in one's mind. That is partially how LE and this forum operates by doing so.

For IF he did this (disappeared for days before) one of the potential problems with rushing down there, then, this may indeed have something to do with the case itself.

Creative exchange doesn't have to be judgemental, it may be simply ruminations and not projection in either regard, with an open heart, mind and of course concern for the missing person. No one on this planet can ever get into the heart or mind of another who they do not know personally and very intimately to know their pure intent or motive. By and large I think 99.9% of the people who participate on this forum are people who have only the best intentions to help others and locate missing people. I ALWAYS give the benefit of the doubt first to everyone. I've found in my long life that people who do not give the benefit of the doubt, more often then not suffer from projection issues and so are forgiven by me for doing so (again, same idea)

The Maura Murray case is one that has such exchanges all the time. But that doesn't mean that the person questioning Maura's behaviors, the father's behaviors, the friends, etc. are pointing fingers, they are simply trying to deliver ideas to think about in perhaps a more creative fashion which can lead to a resolution of a case.
An investigative journalist on the ground in that state now, is taking these ideas and coming to newer areas to search for Maura's remains because of the free exchange as a matter of fact!

Meanwhile , where IS Douglas Simmons?? Any updates on him?

Oh Leomoon, my apologies if it sounded like I was being critical of your thinking. Not at all. I do understand the need to go back and forth to get ideas to try and figure things out. My husband spent the last 15 years of his 23 year AF career in OSI (criminal investigations) and worked for 2 different civilian police departments when he got out. I know how much effort he put in to solving his cases. In some cases 18-20 hour days for weeks at a time. And, yes, he would sometimes ask me my opinion on things when he was worn out from trying to think.

I'm still trying to get my bearings here on this forum. I, initially, came to this forum to correct some misinformation about a member of my husbands family that was kidnapped the same night that Elizabeth Smart was. She doesn't have a thread here but is mentioned (not by name) in two threads here of missing girls and her kidnapper is a suspect in those disappearances. He, in fact, told her he had killed before and was going to kill her.

Again, I apologize if I came off sounding so critical. Not my intent.

Oh Leomoon, my apologies if it sounded like I was being critical of your thinking. Not at all. I do understand the need to go back and forth to get ideas to try and figure things out. My husband spent the last 15 years of his 23 year AF career in OSI (criminal investigations) and worked for 2 different civilian police departments when he got out. I know how much effort he put in to solving his cases. In some cases 18-20 hour days for weeks at a time. And, yes, he would sometimes ask me my opinion on things when he was worn out from trying to think.

I'm still trying to get my bearings here on this forum. I, initially, came to this forum to correct some misinformation about a member of my husbands family that was kidnapped the same night that Elizabeth Smart was. She doesn't have a thread here but is mentioned (not by name) in two threads here of missing girls and her kidnapper is a suspect in those disappearances. He, in fact, told her he had killed before and was going to kill her.

Again, I apologize if I came off sounding so critical. Not my intent.

Daisy: Feel free to "PM" me, ........I may be able to help you. To send a message via PM you just click the person's name and send "Private Message" that way. There are other options there too, so be careful which one you click onto., same for your own name (various functions) on the dark avatar.

I will send you a PM (private message)

I'm also an astrologer....and sometimes that tool is very useful for at least seeing the potential of dead or alive victims and WHO may even be one to look at more closely when we have the necessary info at hand.

And yes - I DO understand :) Thanks for your kind message.

Another one on the "Ruled Out" list on NamUS. Can we get a mod to update these?

He's dead, and was dead after being beaten savagely that night, imo.
Using the tools I use (Astrology), I see the ones he knew are ones who more then likely killed him. Seems to be more then one person, and jealousy or revenge the motive.

I do not believe he made it to New Jersey as the witness there thought.

However, IF his vehicle was missing from the Concert parking lot, then I'd reconsider my position, however as of now, if that car was sitting in the lot, I don't think he ever left that concert area alive.

Interesting case,

I have some questions about the above. How do we know Doug was beaten that night, and is now dead? From what I remember, the only clues to his whereabouts are from that witness who allegedly saw a "disoriented man" who fit Doug's description that day? I doubt what the witness saw was Doug.

Any updates or interviews from his friends or family over the years that could be posted that might give us more evidence about the case? Were Doug's friends considered suspects or even persons of interest in knowing what happened to him?

I was just surprised to read the above post about the belief that he might have been murdered, and what evidence gets us to that assumption. I agree with the above posts that it does raise questions as to why it took his Dad four days to come and look for Doug. I am NOT suggesting that this time frame means in any way that Dad knows what happened. Just that it is a longer than usual time when your son is missing.

Any case updates?

Satch

Interesting case,

I have some questions about the above. How do we know Doug was beaten that night, and is now dead? From what I remember, the only clues to his whereabouts are from that witness who allegedly saw a "disoriented man" who fit Doug's description that day? I doubt what the witness saw was Doug.

Any updates or interviews from his friends or family over the years that could be posted that might give us more evidence about the case? Were Doug's friends considered suspects or even persons of interest in knowing what happened to him?

I was just surprised to read the above post about the belief that he might have been murdered, and what evidence gets us to that assumption. I agree with the above posts that it does raise questions as to why it took his Dad four days to come and look for Doug. I am NOT suggesting that this time frame means in any way that Dad knows what happened. Just that it is a longer than usual time when your son is missing.

Any case updates?

Satch

Thanks for bringing this thread up, and no I haven't heard anything on this case, hopefully someone else has and will update now with new info.

As for the why of the way I answered when I did two years ago? Well, we use to have an astrology forum on this site, but it has disbanded over a year ago now and has not been in use for quite awhile.

This then, is the reason I would have looked at various charts and come to that conclusion at that time.

Best,

Deb aka Leomoon

Interesting case,

I have some questions about the above. How do we know Doug was beaten that night, and is now dead? From what I remember, the only clues to his whereabouts are from that witness who allegedly saw a "disoriented man" who fit Doug's description that day?

Correction: The witness saw someone who looked like Doug several days later after the concert. This was in New Jersey. The man, who appeared to be disoriented, could not recall his name, but said he was from Florida, (where Doug was from.) When the witness went to get a policeman across the street and than returned, the disheveled man was gone.

Here is an old Google News Archive Search result about Doug's case:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...s4dAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dCQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4280,4556245

Satch

okay, reading the paper I see that the woman in NJ claims the photo looked like the man, who was disheveled, and she said it was the same man, as Doug. She also said, he told her he had been beaten in the head area.

Perhaps that is why I thought it was him, can't recall any longer., but as I said the clues for his death, and possible violent act I did see at the time.

I now feel somewhat not quite so willing to believe these I.D's that witnesses say they saw. There are so many disoriented and disheveled people in NYC and NJ, that really, it could have been anyone.

We do have to question that Doug ever made it that far north.

Sounds doubtful to me. But who knows, maybe.

Sad case, when there is not even a grave or knowing just what happened to someone.

But I feel he did pass on. No proof of course, just that's what I get.

I now feel somewhat not quite so willing to believe these I.D's that witnesses say they saw. There are so many disoriented and disheveled people in NYC and NJ, that really, it could have been anyone.

We do have to question that Doug ever made it that far north.

I agree with what you posted,

What about the car the friends came in as evidence? Was that analyzed for possible clues? It would be interesting to review that and the friend's accounts of their last experiences with Doug before he vanished. What was Doug like in the months, weeks, days, before the concert? Were their conflicts with anybody? Was Doug depressed or on some kind of medication? What was the relationships like in the family?

I think a lot centers on the car as a starting point. I assume that Doug did not take the car, or the car was still in the parking lot with no sign of Doug. If however, there was no car, it would stand to reason that Doug took the car, or could have been forced to take the car, held against his will, tragically he could have been killed.

Or, he could have just taken the car and took off, which would be the only possible reason where the witness ID that they claimed seeing Doug could be accurate. There's tons more to this case I have a feeling than what has been reported.

Satch

Unless a friend of Doug's came forward or someone who knew him in school we have nowhere to start that I can think of.

I checked Facebook, and there is one Doug Simmons in Florida. I think it's where he lived and then went to school there too, to the University of Western Florida. The Charley Project talks about him and his friends that attended that school. They only went to a concert in NC when he disappeared.

He's not from NC.

I don't think it's him however.

Someone could start a Facebook Page asking for information or calling attention to trying to find him, but without the father's okay, I'd be hesitant to do such a thing anyway, as though bringing up old wounds.

There is no obituary however that I could find online.

And 12 Yrs is a long time.

:(

Unless a friend of Doug's came forward or someone who knew him in school we have nowhere to start that I can think of.

I checked Facebook, and there is one Doug Simmons in Florida. I think it's where he lived and then went to school there too, to the University of Western Florida. The Charley Project talks about him and his friends that attended that school. They only went to a concert in NC when he disappeared.

He's not from NC.

I don't think it's him however.

Someone could start a Facebook Page asking for information or calling attention to trying to find him, but without the father's okay, I'd be hesitant to do such a thing anyway, as though bringing up old wounds.

There is no obituary however that I could find online.

And 12 Yrs is a long time.

:(

Thanks for the help!

Initially,I had trouble finding info about Doug because the search didn't come up in the 1990 missing persons, than I found out that their was the Grateful Dead-possible matches, sub-forum. Mods, wondering if there is a way we could also include Doug's case in the 1990's missing Forum? (If its not already there.) It might help more people searching for info about this case.

Satch

Satch:

Since this thread was originally moderated by Christine and she is now retired, perhaps if you don't hear anything, you'll need to send a private PM to one of the active moderators you can find on just about any forum.

I think there are some who are listed below the threads too.

Let me know if one is started adding him.

Thanks

Douglas Stephen Simmons

Missing since July 10, 1990 from Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina.
Classification: Endangered Missing

# Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: April 9, 1970
# Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
# Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10; 155 pounds
# Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes.
# Marks, Scars: Simmons has surgical scars on his left wrist and his right ankle. He also has a healed fracture on his right ankle. He has a small scar under his left eye.
# Clothing: A red and white baseball cap, a white tank top, gray bermuda shorts and white high-top Reeboks. He was also wearing a small gold rectangle key chain with the initials "DSS".

The concert he attended was in NC, he was a college student in FL.

progress.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie