972 users online (130 members and 842 guests)  

Websleuths News

School bus driver accused of hitting girl

A 33-year-old Milwaukee school bus driver was charged Thursday with child abuse after authorities say she called an 11-year-old girl a "heffa," and punched her in the face, breaking her glasses.

Suzette Washington, a driver for Laidlaw Transit bus company for two years, has been suspended and will likely be fired, said Don Pedersen, district manager for Laidlaw, one of a dozen bus companies that transport children for Milwaukee Public Schools.

It certainly is not something we condone, train or teach. We can't tolerate it," Pedersen said of the alleged incident.

On Tuesday afternoon, the girl got on Washington's bus at Morse Middle School, 4601 N. 84th St., and was complaining to a friend about another driver, the criminal complaint said. Washington questioned the girl about the comment. The girl responded, "Stupid bus drivers," it says. Washington told her to get off the bus and called her a "heffa," the complaint says. "Heffa" is slang for heifer, a young cow that has not borne a calf.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/may04/227686.asp

My neice was molested several years ago by a bus driver. Hers was the last stop on the bus route. She lived out in the country. He had asked her if she wanted to drive the bus. She sat between his legs and he groped her. She didn't tell anyone for a long time. Then one day in one of her classes the teacher brought up sexual abuse and my neice told her what happened. My brother pressed charges and went to court. I believe the charges were dropped, don't remember why. This guy was not fired, and was sent to another school system where he still drives children on busses. This was in East Hampton, New York.

gardenmom that is such a sad story... these perverts find jobs that they can prey on kids, like bus drivers.. etc... you just can't trust anyone anymore.. look at all those sick catholic priests... %&$# - dont even get me started.

Having a child who is autistic and does not speak at the same level as most means I've always had to watch for any type of abuse from either teachers or aides or bus personel.
    Over my dead rotting corpse would someone continue to be around children, mine or any other, if they even as much as told my child to "shut-up"
    IMO when you are paid to work with children you had better be able to do so in a professional way...If not find another job.
    I've had several school employees fired over much less then molesting or phsycally abusing Richie.
    (which has never happend)
    A couple did feel that emotional abuse would be tolerated to which they quickly found themselves un-employed.
    One thing that is in my favor is that Richie tends to mimic those around him with almost precise voice inflection.
    So even if cannot come home and say "this happend" he can imitate what someone has said to him.

He also can tell me if he likes or dislikes someone. I go by gut instinct and if he dislikes somone they are gone.
    Richie is a sweet and loving child so if he doesn't like someone I know soemthing is going on.
    He had a bus aide last year who felt that (due to lack of knowledge about autism) he was merely spoiled.
    She was young and although instict and Richie's behavoir told me one thing I felt it only fair to give her a chance.
    I offered to make sure the school provide training and that a behavoiralist be involved to help her address any issues on the bus.
    Bottom line.... she wanted none of it.
    I asked her once what her experience with autistic children was...
    Her reply was ....she has a child who is 3.... I then (nicely) asked "well is your child autistic?"
    She replied No and mumbled something under her breath. All I heard was "spoiled brat"
    About a week later when the bus dropped Richie off she came to the bus door (one of the few times she ever got off her lazy A$$)
    To complain that richie can no longer bring his blanket to school because it bothered her, and questioning why I had not provided toys for him on the bus which we had agreed to...
    I actaully had sent toys but upon coming home the day before Richie had removed them from his bag.
    This girl had a totaly attitude toned voice and it was clear that she felt she had to do nothing except sit on the bus.
    She never even once greeted him goodmorning.
    Not to mention he was very upset that day after getting off the bus.
    that was it for me....
    I called the school (this after attempting to get her training,she never showed) and said "you have until tommorrow morning to fire her and replace her with someone competent or else I hire an attorney and inform every Newspaper in the state how _______ county schools have no problem subjecting poor little disabled children to sadistic untrained bus aides"

By the next morning she had been relieved of duty.

IMO as parents we can't just trust the schools to do the right thing.
    We have to make sure.

Wow, Amrann, you go! Topo bad that bus driver aide was such a loser. I had an autistic young girl in my girl scout troop this year. Her mom asked me what I knew about autism, which I said I knew a little about it. Well, what I thought autism was and what I found out it was were two different things. This was by far the smartest girl in my group. She remembered things word for word. I relied on her to remind me of things because I knew she wouldn't forget! She would become different when she was tired. She sucked her thumb, and if I saw her doing that I knew she was tired or had a bad day. She remembered my name after the first time we met, and I had girls that after 6 months were still calling me either my daughter's name, or a name that sounds close to mine. Now, she could get annoying, but I got used to her. She reminded me of my son when he was little. When he was excited he talked a mile a minute! Anyway, just my experience. I loved having her in my troop. Good for you in finding your son good people to have around him, and weeding out the bad.
    As for my neice, I don't remember why the case was dropped. I remember it went on forever and was very hard on the family, then it just stopped. It's been awhile. I will never forget about it though, and will make sure my child is never alone with an adult. Reminds me too of a few years ago one of the Youth Center counselors (male) was convicted of molesting a child who he had gotten alone. That year the old center was closed down, and a new one was built with cameras in every room and each room has a window so no room is private (except the bathrooms). Then again the counselors have to be watching the children as well. Remember my autistic girl scout? She was molested by another child, a boy, while outside just out of sight of the adults. Turns out this boy was molested by another older boy. My girl told her mom right away! Good for her.

Garden I could understand why a parent would drop such a thing..
    It is very emotionally draining to fight the school system.
    Maybe time is better spent helping your neice overcome what happend?
    Its a very personal decision. There have been instances where I could sue the school for various neglectful actions but have not because of the time it would take away from richie in the present.
    Luckily this school system does not toy around to much with me.
    Probably Richie's school records contain a memo saying "watch out! Psycho mom!!!"

I am amazed that the driver is still employed by any school system.
    But not to amazed. In a decent world the school would have had him fired and his sorry butt would be in jail. As well as listed as a sexual predator.

My mom works in an elementary school four girls accused a male teacher's aid of abusing them. It was always unclear what he did to them. The FBI even got involved after months of investigating it turned out the girls made it all up. This man wasn't completely innocent, he made a few inappropriate comments and he should have been fired for that, IMO, but he never touched them. The school "retired" him. None of the parents wanted their daughters to testify once the FBI got involved and than all the girls changed there stories. It makes me wonder what really happened.

This reminds me of a high school teacher we had.....
    He once rubbed my friends thigh and said something to the effect of that helping her getting better grades! ....
    Then another time I was right by his room where he was standing and a Senior (at the time I was still a freshman) He grabbed my butt and said some really rude comments...... Like "little freshman oh how I'd like to.......whatever..to that.."
    I mean not 1 foot away from this teacher He was right there listening.
    My reply was "Little senior go F yourself....And if you ever touch me again it will be the very last thing you touch...
    Now this teacher rather then addressing what this kid did and said to me
    looks at me and says "you should watch your mouth"
    I was like what??WTF???
    I actually said well maybe the senior should be held accountable for his behavoir... to which I was told "watch it ...go to class"

Years later this very same teacher Killed his wife and then himself...because she was going to leave him.....

Much like the story above about the four girls.....there was admitted issues....
    For me that is enough.... Lets say for example that Garden's neice was not molested.... The fact that he let her drive the bus IMO means he is in no way responsible enough to drive and supervise children.

Its laughable the standards the schools claim to hold our children...
    Yet the adults seem to not have to meet the same standards???
    If my child told someone to shutup... you bet they would be in trouble for it.
    But teachers say it and I guess its all ok.

This teacher's aid called a fourth grader sexy and some other inappropriate things. But that is the only thing that was leaked out. He gets to keep his retirement and to top it off he is a pastor for a church......

When I was in 7th grade my science teacher always flirted and rubbed the backs of the girls with big boobs. This one girl who looked 21 at 12 yrs of age flirted back with him. No one, even myself, said anything. It turned out that the over developed girl was being molested by her step dad. I often wondered if that explained why she would giggle and laugh when he touched her shoulders and complimented her. She didn't know the difference. Two men preying on her. He didn't hide what he was doing other teachers must have noticed. Nothing ever happened to him.

God ....How awful...
    FIrst off his freakin toungue should be cut from his mouth saying something like that to or about a 4th grader!!

I don't care if a 12,13,14,15 or 16 year old looks years and years older ...
    Strips and says "baby baby take me"
    As an adult ...especially one in an authority or trusting postion they should have the brain to get the child help.
    Not take advantage... Just sick..
    As far as none of the other teachers reporting it....
    IMO noone wants to accuse another or acknowledge something like that is going on with people they know. It is by far easier to wear blinders.
    I think our own insecurities about blaming someone and possibly being wrong come into play. Or worse knowing someone and not knowing how sick they are.
    Bottom line it simply means more that other adults accept us...
    The schools are hardly designed to address such things..
    The mentality does not exist to equip parents and staff to address such issues with anything close to confidence.
    Furthermore to acknowledge means you admit to yourself that you missed this element of another person.... completely... For so many this causes questions about ones own judgment that few wish to address...
    To act upon doubts of another go hand and hand with dealing with our own doubts in judgment about knowing such a person and not knowing.

So our tax dollars paid this scum.... he then retires off that pay and preaches to others???
    That is perfect.
    In effect we as a society paid this man to molest little girls.
    Upon reading of his reference to them I seriously doubt he stopped there.
    Just because it was reported that these allegations were false doesn't mean they were.

In 5th grade I had a very touchy feely coach... Was very sweet to the girls especially those of us who would be percieved as vulnerable.
    To this day I don't know if his intentions were bad... or just an attempt to be a caring teacher.....
    I would not ever say his approach was beyond what it should have been but he did hug us often.... etc...
    But never a clear direct approach.
    Upon telling my uncle of this... innocently... without ever thinking it was wrong.... at such an age that did not occur to me...
    He immediatly went to the school.
    He saw it for what it could be and addressed it.

That was the only time in my life I felt lucky that I was a late bloomer and was flat chested in jr high, even though I know some prefer their victims to look that way. This science teacher was very obvious. It would have been easy to catch him.

The teacher's aid guy got away with something, exactly what I don't know. His wife worked in the school also and stuck by him. She stayed at the school.

My sister had a softball coach that slept with his players. He would pick one and "date" her all four yrs of her high school education. He wormed his way into their lives and made no bones about it. The girl of the yr would ride with him in his car to all the games and the rest of the team would ride the bus. He was also a teacher, I can't remember what he taught. He was never arrested, no one complained. A lot of gossip at the softball fields. His victims were from broken families and their parents never complained. One of the girls was very close to my sister and she told her they had sex........Sad. I think this kind of stuff happens more than anyone knows.

I agree 100% it does happen more then anyone knows.
    I think more so now that broken families lead to more vulnerable children.
    I would sadly venture to guess if we conducted a WS poll today at least 80% of those who responded would admit they had been either sexually, physically or emotional abused coupled with exposer to drug or alcohol addiction or in relation to serious fundimental religious beliefs. Or a combination thereof.
    At the absolute least some would admit to parents who exhibited mental issues which enabled neglect or abuse by others if not the parent themselves.

We as a society have a false sense of security in that we are addressing these issues..... We are also sooo late in doing so.. it will be a very long time before we catch up.
    In my lifetime and I'm sure many of yours I know people who were molested by neighbors, parents, step parents or other trusted people and even if they were caught they were not punished.

Up until the 1980's in florida if a child was molested by a parent .... the action was to remove the child from the home via (now called)DCF
    Criminal charges were rarely pressed as it was thought that councilling was required rather then anytype of criminal action.
    To this day there are cases that mirror this notion.
    This to me only re-enforces the false notion that such actions are not as bad as they are.
    What does this say to these young victims?