GUILTY PA - Marie Ott, 81, & Hoa Pham, 60, murdered, Delaware County, Oct & Nov 2008

opme

Reaction score
"Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said a couple in their 60s was terrorized by an intruder in their home in the 100 block of Copley Road in Upper Darby at about 8 p.m.

Chitwood said the suspect demanded money from the female resident as she exited the bathroom. When her husband, identified as 60-year-old Hoa Pham, exited the bedroom, the suspect fatally struck him with a blunt instrument.

Pham's wife was apparently assaulted, then bound and gagged before being raped and stabbed repeatedly, police said."
http://cbs3.com/topstories/home.invasion.upper.2.861598.html

The husband who was murdered fought in the vietnam war and was held captive for 6 years before escaping to the US.
The moved here 17 years ago for a better life and have been well respected and loved intheir community.

The wife has multiple stab wounds, broken bones and other injuries as well as having been sexually assaulted. And she has lost her husband..so incredibly sad that they were attacked while in bed for money.. which they didnt have much like many older folks.

I know this is complete off-topic, but just seeing the police chief's name reminds me...I have an aunt who is schizophrenic. She lived in Upper Darby for a long time and she insists that Police Chief Chitwood and her landlady sneak into her room at night and rape her and then they sneak through her bedroom closet and the neighbors let them out through their apartment. My family recently moved her out of that city and now she thinks Chitwood and her landlady have moved in together in that complex to harass her. I feel bad for this guy who has to deal with my aunt's accusations constantly. :(

"Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said a couple in their 60s was terrorized by an intruder in their home in the 100 block of Copley Road in Upper Darby at about 8 p.m.

Chitwood said the suspect demanded money from the female resident as she exited the bathroom. When her husband, identified as 60-year-old Hoa Pham, exited the bedroom, the suspect fatally struck him with a blunt instrument.

Pham's wife was apparently assaulted, then bound and gagged before being raped and stabbed repeatedly, police said."
http://cbs3.com/topstories/home.invasion.upper.2.861598.html

The husband who was murdered fought in the vietnam war and was held captive for 6 years before escaping to the US.
The moved here 17 years ago for a better life and have been well respected and loved intheir community.

The wife has multiple stab wounds, broken bones and other injuries as well as having been sexually assaulted. And she has lost her husband..so incredibly sad that they were attacked while in bed for money.. which they didnt have much like many older folks.

This stuff makes me sick.
Safe in thier own home, bothering nobody.
My Mom is elderly, we have finally insisted she not open the door (I realize these folks did not). She is so naive she opened the door to an "alarm salesman" and let him know she did not have one because "he was young, clean cut and handsome".

If found and if possible I hope this monster gets the DP.

I know the video report said it must be a practiced criminal since he made effort to not leave any evidence behind (DNA, etc.) but it seems like maybe someone would have heard yelling or the breaking of the front door. Those homes are awfully close together.

We're not safe anywhere anymore...none of us.

I know the video report said it must be a practiced criminal since he made effort to not leave any evidence behind (DNA, etc.) but it seems like maybe someone would have heard yelling or the breaking of the front door. Those homes are awfully close together.

We're not safe anywhere anymore...none of us.

You are so right.

I am rethinking turning off my alarm.

This is just another horrific crime.. which occurred to comepletly innocent people in their own home ( where you should be safe).. I just pray for this little lady and her ability to heal from this. I cant image going thru this assault and then to have lost her husband at the same time.. just so incredibly sad.

Oh how awful! My prayers for the woman to heal and somehow find some peace without her dear husband, may he rest in peace.

I hope they catch the perp SOON!!! :behindbar :behindbar

From December 2008:

http://articles.philly.com/2008-12-23/news/25244550_1_samples-murder-private-lab

Jermaine D. Burgess, 37, of the 300 block of Springton Road in Upper Darby, was charged yesterday with the Oct. 27 murder of 81-year-old Marie Ott of the 200 block of Crum Creek Drive in Ridley Township. Burgess is being held without bail in the Delaware County prison.

On Saturday, Burgess was arrested and charged in the Upper Darby home-invasion murder of Hoa Pham, a former lieutenant in the South Vietnamese army, on Nov. 10...

According to police, Burgess said he broke in through Ott's back window and demanded money from the disabled woman, who was sitting in a hospital bed in her living room. He then dragged her from her bed up a flight of stairs to ransack her bedroom. When Burgess could not find more money, he went downstairs, took a butcher knife from the kitchen sink, returned upstairs, and repeatedly plunged the knife into Ott's chest. Burgess then tied a plastic bag over Ott's head, bound her hands, and left.

From December 2009:

http://articles.philly.com/2009-12-09/news/25269704_1_parole-agent-death-penalty-drug-and-alcohol

Yesterday, Elia, his family, and the family of Hoa Pham - who also was murdered - were in a Delaware County court when the man charged in the two slayings pleaded no contest to the crimes.

Jermaine Burgess, 38, of Upper Darby, received a total sentence of life without parole plus a minimum of 25 years in the 2008 deaths and robberies of Hoa Pham in Upper Darby and Marie Ott in Ridley Township...

According to court records, he was convicted in 1991 of aggravated assault after stabbing a man in the eye. In 1993, he was convicted in an armed carjacking. He violated parole and returned to prison. He was released in June 2008. Burgess was arrested in Philadelphia in December 2008, and charged with a violent carjacking. Police were then able to match his DNA and charge him in the two murders.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back