701 users online (107 members and 594 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Side Scan Sonar (Sound Navigation And Ranging) search explained

Side-scan Sonar (Sound Navigation And Ranging) is capable of producing an image of (lost) objects that are lying on the bottom underwater or floating in the water. Objects that are almost completely buried in the bottom with only small parts sticking out of the botttom can be located. To locate or image objects that are completely buried in the bottom or have no parts sticking out, the side-scan sonar is not appropriate.

FORGOT TO LIST MY SOURCE: http://www.abc.se/~pa/mar/sidescan.htm

READ THIS PAGE ABOUT VOLUNTEER SEARCHERS, WORKED LACI P. CASE: http://gralston1.home.mindspring.com/Sidescan.html
    Last edited by whittymom4; 11-13-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to list the source of article

shouldnt sonar have showed a bag weighted down with bricks?

EmMomma is offline Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    Quote Originally Posted by mom4321 View Post
    Something weighted down wound sink to the bottom, then down into the bottom...I would think.
    This river, from what I understand, has lots of silt, which makes for a very soft bottom.
    "Lost is not alone..." T. Miller, Founder TES (and MY HERO!!!)

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will." -

Edward Everett Hale

EmMomma is offline Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    Quote Originally Posted by whittymom4 View Post
    Side-scan Sonar (Sound Navigation And Ranging) is capable of producing an image of (lost) objects that are lying on the bottom underwater or floating in the water. Objects that are almost completely buried in the bottom with only small parts sticking out of the botttom can be located. To locate or image objects that are completely buried in the bottom or have no parts sticking out, the side-scan sonar is not appropriate.
    Thanks for this info.
    "Lost is not alone..." T. Miller, Founder TES (and MY HERO!!!)

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will." -

Edward Everett Hale

Thanks... this explains a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by EmMomma View Post
    Thanks for this info.
    You are very welcome, I did just edit my post and add a link to where I found the info. and a link to the volunteer searchers who worked on the Laci P. case. Interesting.

The website I found the information on is very informative and kind of boring to read, but according to the information listed TM should have picked up on the bricks. Plus it finds metal. Not sure if anything metal was in the bag with the toys.
    On NG tonite when they showed the little girl figure toy in the bag, that is a McDonald's toy that was out in the late spring, early summer. The Barbie line, at least it was here in Iowa. My two little ones both have one. Any other Happy Meal purchaser's see that?

The Side Scan Sonar I looked up is capable of recording the search with the computer used to navigate the sonar. This company called it an AAR or After Action Report.

I wonder if Tim has an AAR report that might show the bag there on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by MSinIndy View Post
    The Side Scan Sonar I looked up is capable of recording the search with the computer used to navigate the sonar. This company called it an AAR or After Action Report.

I wonder if Tim has an AAR report that might show the bag there on Sunday.
    I wonder if he does. You would think so, it's just one more thing that doesn't make sense in this case. Maybe he did print a report and LE has it?

I bet he does record searches. LE would want documentation of any bodies found as well as and evidence and where it was found.

LP needs to check this out.

LOL yea I hear ya.
    And what IF said bag had say, a few REAL bones in it?

So I guess this sonor only deals with large full bodies?

Way back when the search for Laci Peterson's body was being done with side sonar, one of our very own members here, Scandi, saw a shot on television of what was seen beneath the water in the form of a woman's body wrapped up in something with a baby's leg and foot coming out of the stomach area. She quickly drew what she saw and that was a good thing because it was never shown again. That was because the team that was using the side sonar didn't do whatever they were supposed to do to locate that body. Scandi was very shy about having done this but I thought she did a wonderful job and sure enough, the bodies surfaced thereafter.

Just thought I would mention that, for the newbies and the oldies who might remember. I just checked and Scandi is still a member. Her posts only go back to 2007 so I can't find her old post to refer to from 2003.

The website I found the information on is very informative and kind of boring to read, but according to the information listed TM should have picked up on the bricks. Plus it finds metal. Not sure if anything metal was in the bag with the toys.
    On NG tonite when they showed the little girl figure toy in the bag, that is a McDonald's toy that was out in the late spring, early summer. The Barbie line, at least it was here in Iowa. My two little ones both have one. Any other Happy Meal purchaser's see that?
    we too had the same Happy Meal dolls and they were, in fact, from the early summer.

<<Just thought I would mention that, for the newbies and the oldies who might remember>>

I do remember that. I also remember personally seeing a sonar picture that I thought actually was Laci. It showed a body from the back and almost looked like it was slightly bent over. You could see the back of the head and the hair was black. I saw it once and then never again. Wonder what happened to that picture and also the picture Scandi drew?

<<That was because the team that was using the side sonar didn't do whatever they were supposed to do to locate that body>>

I thought the reason they didn't recover her body that day was because the water was too treacherous. Then a storm hit and by the time they returned to the spot, she was already gone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast