KS - Clutter family home for sale, Holcomb

kline

Reaction score
Wow,if you think its a slow market to sell a house imagine trying to move this one(For somewhere in the neighborhood of 270 grand).
The former home of Herbert W. Clutter of Holcomb Kansas who along with his Wife Bonnie, Son Kenyon, and Daughter Nancy were murdered on November 14th 1959 is apparently up for sale.
The current owners have lived there for about 18 years.
No takers so far though the house remains something of a magnet for gawkers.
(I would be one of them if I was passing through Kansas.)
Of course the house was featured prominently in the novel 'In Cold Blood'
by Truman Capote as well as the movie of the book in 1967 in which the murder scenes were shot on location in the Clutter house.

I'm ashamed to confess that my first thought upon reading the headline was that my husband had put our house on the market without my knowledge.

:blushing:

I'm ashamed to confess that my first thought upon reading the headline was that my husband had put our house on the market without my knowledge.

Yeah,I live in the 'Clutter' trailer unfortunately:)

Yeah,I live in the 'Clutter' trailer unfortunately:)
ha ha me too .. but id rather have a cosy place to live than a huge house that costs tons of money to heat and clean

mmm, wondering if someone is going to buy it and turn it into a freaky B&B like the Lizzie house? I'm not sure if Borden house is still a B&B but was the last time I read about it. In one way, it's an important part of history, more so regarding Capote, but beyond that, I cannot imagine living in the home myself ever. Just horrific negative energy and it would always be on my mind I think?

LOL, I thought it might be one of those famous hoarder houses...umm, not mine, nope, no way. ;->

Really though, I don't think I could live at peace in a house where a murder occurred, let alone several.

I'm surprised that the house wasn't leveled long ago.

I remember reading about the Clutter murders on Crime Library a while back. Very horrific. But if the owners have lived there 18 years, it must not be too bad or have any paranormal activity to speak of.

I couldn't help but think the same thing of a relative's house that recently sold. Thanks for the humor. : )

A Kansas newspaper has a website devoted to the case(I forget which one but if you Google'In Cold Blood' youll find it.
There are a bunch of pictures of the current owners who have kids and grandkids and interiors of the house which looks like its hardly changed at all.
There are shots of the grand kids playing and running around in the basement in the exact spot Kenyon was found bound and shotgunned to death.
Plus shots of the current lady of the house demonstrating the trapdoor chutes in the kitchen where you can sweep stuff down into a dustbin in the basement that Herb Clutter designed into the house.
I dont know,Im a big fan of the book and I would love to see the place but live there? Not a chance,my imagination is way to active.
How would you like to sit in the living room and watch 'In Cold Blood'on DVD and see the same living room your sitting in?Yikes!
The real estate out fit that is listing the place kind of neglects to mention the Murders in its listing.
I wouldnt at all be surprised to see it turned into something akin to the Borden place I guess people by the hundreds from as far away as Japan and Europe show up out there in their driveway every year.
It will probably be designated as a Historical Landmark eventually whether the locals like it or not im sure.
Also I guess a group including Bobby Rupp Nancy's boyfriend and the last to see them alive is working on getting funds for a small memorial to the Clutter Family to be set up in Holcomb.

No link for a virtual tour for those of us who want to gawk from afar?
anyone find it on realtor.com?

I think I may have read the book while I was a bit too impressionable. I had nightmares about the Clutter family massacre all the way through High School. I think I was 14 when I read it in the HS library as a freshman. Even setting foot in the house would be enormously difficult for me to do, ever.

Capote's most excellent book changed me. It changed the way I respect life and death, and started to recognize true evil.

That home is as spotless as any home in any CSI episode. Do people really live that neatly?

Scroll down to read an earlier article on them and it says they used to charge $5 for a tour so they had to keep it spotless. They ended the tours, though. What was disturbing, however, was she also pointed out a spot on the wall in the basement that was supposed to be Mr. Clutter's blood! Why in the world would no one ever clean that up????? It was a rust colored stain right next to where his body was found. That was just sickening.

It's a cute house but I personally could not live there, it would creep me out way too much. I know my kids would not want to live there for the same reasons.

Scroll down to read an earlier article on them and it says they used to charge $5 for a tour so they had to keep it spotless. They ended the tours, though. What was disturbing, however, was she also pointed out a spot on the wall in the basement that was supposed to be Mr. Clutter's blood! Why in the world would no one ever clean that up????? It was a rust colored stain right next to where his body was found. That was just sickening.

Agreed. Making money off a bit of someone's mortal remains seems horrifying.

I could not live in the house, and certainly not without a major redecoration.

Has anyone done a tax search? This went up for sale more than 2 years ago. It hasn't sold? wow.

I think that stain is rust from something metal or a varnish stain of some sort,it would be hard to get off cement I dont think its blood though.
I dont think I would be able to deal with the 'vibe' of the place even if it was only in my imagination.
Im pretty sure the place will end up as a historical landmark eventually.
Like it or not 'In Cold Blood' and Kansas are joined forever and it will always be as much part of its history as Dodge City.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back