Nicaragua - Doris Jimenez, 25, slain, San Juan del Sur, 21 Nov 2006

katiecoolady

Reaction score
I searched and can't find any topics covering this case so if there are any, please move this thread.

I have been following this case for some time--this young man wrongfully convicted in Nicaragua for murder, but released last year and now, TODAY, will be retried in Nicaragua (luckily it appears he will not be extradited and they can't force him to return to that country but if his innocence is overturned then there will be a warrant out for his arrest in Nicaragua).

Here is the latest email I just got this morning:

!!FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!!
UPDATE: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 17TH 2008 : 8AM

:: ERIC VOLZ TO BE RETRIED IN NICARAGUA ::

The Nicaraguan government has just announced that Eric Volz will be retried this morning at 9am Central in the Nicaraguan Supreme Court. The announcement was a total surprise and the way in which the court is proceeding is completely illegal and politically motivated.

Newspapers in Nicaragua reported yesterday that the appellate ruling of innocence will most likely be overturned and Eric will be re-convicted for the murder of Doris Jimenez. There is speculation that President Daniel Ortega may be using the case to provoke the U.S., since the U.S. government has expressed concerns over the status of Democracy in Nicaragua.

Eric explains the details:
click here to see a short videocast ...

updates at:
www.friendsofericvolz.com & www.amigosdeeric.com

I didn't realize he had to be retried! This is total crap! He proved his innocence! His cell phone records and many witnesses verified he was not anywhere near his ex girlfriend. He was 3 hours away at work! I followed this case for the years he was stuck in prison. Man this is horrible.

I didn't realize he had to be retried! This is total crap! He proved his innocence! His cell phone records and many witnesses verified he was not anywhere near his ex girlfriend. He was 3 hours away at work! I followed this case for the years he was stuck in prison. Man this is horrible.

It looks like it's some kind of formality and having to do with the local politics but that he won't have to appear nor will he be sent back to jail unless he would step foot in Nicaragua again (which I'm assuming he will NEVER do). He's working on a book now and that should be quite a read.

I follow him thru his sites and myspace page and am on his mailing list. This poor guy has been to hell and back hasn't he?

UPDATE: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 18TH 2008 : 9AM Central
Visit www.friendsofericvolz for more detail
::YESTERDAY'S HEARING CONCLUDED ::

IMPORTANT ADVANCEMENT
- Yesterday, at the last minute, three Opposition Party Supreme Court Justices broke their strike and entered the court room to preside over Eric's case. This moderates the balance of political influence on the 6 judge panel. The substitute Sandinista judges did not appear, so the final count was three judges from Ortega's Party and three judges from the political opposition. The presence of the judges from the opposition greatly improves Eric's chances of receiving an objective ruling. Eric is innocent of this crime! It is our hope that the Appellate Court verdict declaring Eric's innocence will be upheld by the Supreme Court. The information we have received is that the judges will take 30 days to announce their decision. Three officers from the U.S. Embassy were in attendance for the hearing in an observational capacity.
Eric and his family would like nothing more than to put this case behind them. We pray for the objectivity of the judges and, ultimately, for justice to be honored in memory of Doris Jimenez.
Thank you for your continued support!
NEW important articles to read:

Washington Post- Ortega moves to construct another Dictatorship
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/15/AR2008111502140.html

AP- US doubts fairness of Nicaragua Elections
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iTAdmGPMc12WtMBq6SANp1w3xRswD94172N80

Herald Tribune- U.S.Gov Issues Travel Warning for Nicaragua
http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=320780&CategoryId=12394

Article on yesterday's hearing in Nicaraguan Newspaper
http://laprensa.com.ni/archivo/2008/noviembre/18/noticias/nacionales/295594.shtml

visit www.friendsofericvolz.com for more detail

So I guess we can hear the final ruling sometime between now and 30 days away. That is such a long time for Eric and his family to wait. I feel for them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back