587 users online (81 members and 506 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

13yr old has won right to die

Girl wins right to refuse heart

A terminally ill girl has won the right to refuse treatment after a hospital ended its bid to force her to have a heart transplant.
    Herefordshire Primary Care Trust (PCT) dropped a High Court case after a child protection officer said Hannah Jones was adamant she did not want surgery.
    Hannah, 13, of Marden, near Hereford, said she wanted to die with dignity.
    Her father Andrew said he and his wife supported her decision but they had been upset by the PCT's actions.
    He said Hereford County Hospital's child protection team had contacted them in February threatening to remove Hannah from their care if they did not bring her to hospital for the operation.
    The threat that somebody could come and forcibly remove your daughter from you... was quite upsetting really

Andrew Jones

Why children have a say over care

Hannah, who has a hole in her heart, had been offered a transplant in July 2007 but said she did not want to go through with it after taking advice from doctors, Mr Jones said.

more at link
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...cs/7721231.stm

Honestly, if the heart transplant would save her life, I find it hard to understand why the government does not intercede since she is a minor or at the very least the parents should not listen to this child and she should have the surgery.

Now if she has the surgery and will still die, than perhaps i can understand. But if all she has is a hole in her heart than a transplant should be a no brainer.
    ~~Childhood Cancer is a Crime~~

I heard this story Friday on my way home from work and thought to myself how intelligent, brave, and insightful this girl is. If she were my child, I would respect her wishes and support that she wants quality of life in the end to be around family at home. To force her into an operation which she has studied and knows the stats on would be inhumane treatment, imo. Everyone who has questioned her feels she is aware of the risks and has come to this conclusion with full understanding.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

If they didn't want the heart - hopefully, the one they found made it to another person who could appreciate it.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    I heard this story Friday on my way home from work and thought to myself how intelligent, brave, and insightful this girl is. If she were my child, I would respect her wishes and support that she wants quality of life in the end to be around family at home. To force her into an operation which she has studied and knows the stats on would be inhumane treatment, imo. Everyone who has questioned her feels she is aware of the risks and has come to this conclusion with full understanding.
    I agree, SS.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

I'm still confused though, the link states she has a "hole in her heart" so why wouldn't a new heart be a solution?

info

from the link
    "Hannah previously suffered from leukaemia and her heart has been weakened by drugs she was required to take from the age of five."

It's not just her heart. She's terminally ill and has spent tons of time in the hospital her entire life. She's ready to just be in peace. This has to be a difficult decision for her parents, but they, and she, know what's best.

Quote Originally Posted by palmerk View Post
    from the link
    "Hannah previously suffered from leukaemia and her heart has been weakened by drugs she was required to take from the age of five."

It's not just her heart. She's terminally ill and has spent tons of time in the hospital her entire life. She's ready to just be in peace. This has to be a difficult decision for her parents, but they, and she, know what's best.

she's terminally ill becuase her heart is failing

she is in remission from the cancer to the best of my knowledge.

The reason she gave was that there was no guarantee the surgery would work and that she would be on medication for the rest of her life.

for me personally, I too respect this child's wishes, as I am beyond sure she is DONE being poked and prodded. But I will continue to hope that she will at somepoint change her mind and decide to take the risk of surgery and live a long happy life.

Quote Originally Posted by gooniequeen View Post
    I'm still confused though, the link states she has a "hole in her heart" so why wouldn't a new heart be a solution?
    Her research showed that there was no guarantee the same condition wouldn't arise with the new one and felt the stats were not in to make a clear determination.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

I think it's time people, and the government, stopped telling other people what they HAVE to do with their own health and bodies. The girl made an informed decision; I believe we should respect that.

Is she still required to take the medications which damaged her heart intially? If so, I understand her decision not to risk the surgery and have the same thing happen again. If not, I'm not sure she understands the differences in medications - between the meds for her leukemia, or anti rejection medication which all transplant recipients must take for the remainder of their life.

I had a 2nd cousin whose son had to have a heart transplant as did his sister for a rare genetic heart defect. He has since passed away and had two heart transplants. She, as far as I know is doing well. Before his surgeries, I was unaware a transplanted heart has only so many years of use before a second transplant is often necessary. I wonder if she too, at 13, would need more than one heart transplant in the future.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

She may be only 13 years old, but she has experienced a lot more in those 13 years than most of us ever will...she should certainly be allowed to make her own decision about this

One of my children had a hole in their heart. Thanfully it closed up on it's own. I would have had a very hard time as a parent to not force them to have surgery. But I also know from dealing with a terminally ill parent that there comes a time when enough is enough and you have to let go. My prayers go out to this family.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwatch View Post
    I think it's time people, and the government, stopped telling other people what they HAVE to do with their own health and bodies. The girl made an informed decision; I believe we should respect that.
    ITA!
    (for whatever that's worth, LOL)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast