662 users online (93 members and 569 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NC - Tecora Young, 77, Asheville, 18 Oct 2008

GAFFNEY, S.C. -- A 77-year-old woman has been missing for three weeks, and her family members said on Saturday that they're desperate for help.

Tecora Young, of Asheville, went missing Oct. 18. She was in the Upstate at a birthday party for a relative that night.

She left the party to drive to another relative's house a few miles away, but no one has seen or heard from her in three weeks.

She was last seen at about 8 p.m. at a house on Estelle Road in Gaffney.

Anyone with clues about Young's whereabouts should call the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office at 864-489-4722.

My parents, brother, and I traveled along Highway 150 today searching the dips and ravines along the road hoping to help. I am from Gaffney so we tried to backtrack her travels hoping to find her.

There is a misquote:
    She was heading up Concord Road (Gaffney)
    To Highway 150

Considering More...

Destination from Estelle Rd. was Birnie Street. (Everyone has been misspelling it as Bernie)
    There aren't many homes on Birnie St.
    If she was confused she could have gotten on the 150/105 junction and ended up on Hwy 105 and headed back into the rural areas mistakenly thinking she was on hwy 150 as the road appearance is similar.

South Carolina isn't that great with giving repeat signs.
    Last edited by christine2448; 11-18-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: copyright

Checked around Birnie St. today. There really isn't much there except a car wash, my own doctor's office, church and a few homes. I doubt she was on the other end of Birnie as that is downtown businesses with some buildings closed.

The police have checked Highway 150, I-85 and I-26 (the Usual Route To Asheville NC) with people and helicopters. My cousin from the Sheriff's office confirmed that these areas had already been searched.

I will be checking the alternate route tomorrow from Highway 11 to Junction with 221 to I-40 or 74. This seems even more interesting because Hwy 11 is close to Birnie. I am going with the theory that perhaps since she is 77 maybe she does not like to travel major roadways because there is so much traffic. Many elderly people here avoid I-85 and I-26. I-40 itself is large but, rarely has heavy traffic. My brother will be joining me tomorrow.

Perhaps she traveled to Birnie and the relatives were not home? Decided to just go home up 11?

http://www.wlos.com/shared/newsroom/...vid_1663.shtml

Friends Worry About Missing Woman
    (11/13/08)

As the search for a missing woman continues in South Carolina, her friends here in Asheville worry about her.

77-year-old Tecora Young disappeared after a family birthday party in Gaffney on October 18th.

Deputies say they've searched roads and highways in Cherokee County, but turned up no clues.

Young is a foster grandparent at the Irene Wortham Center.

Employees there say they've been worried for weeks.

"There's not a day that doesn't go by that we don't look at that chair and miss her and wonder where she's at, we just want to know she's okay," said Kathy Isaacs of the Irene Wortham Center.

Fellow church members at Asheville Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church are also wondering what has happened to their friend and say they are filled with worry.

Tecora Young was last seen driving a dark green 2002 Buick Century, leaving her family member's house on Estelle Road in Gaffney.

Anyone with information about Tecora Young's disappearance should call Cherokee County Crime Stoppers at (864) 489-CRIME.

http://www.wspa.com/spa/news/local/a...a_young/11271/

One Month Later: No Sign Of Missing Woman Tecora Young
    By Meghan Fisher
    Published: November 18, 2008

The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office says there is still no sign of missing woman Tecora Young. There is no activity on her phone or credit cards. The Sheriff’s Office says they have not conducted any more aerial searches and do not plan to unless new information is developed. They have given descriptions of her to all surrounding agencies between Gaffney and her home in Asheville.

77-year-old Tecora Young vanished October 18th. Her family says she drove from her Asheville home to Gaffney for her Aunt’s 90th birthday party and was supposed to bring leftovers to her cousin a few miles away, but never made it there.

That's so scarey that this woman could disappear into thin air when she was just traveling a few miles.

God bless you for searching for her and I hope she's found soon and safe.

It is scary, lizzybeth.

leophoenix, thank you & your brother for searching.
    I wonder if this is one of those car accident cases.....have read of a view lately....where the car is so well hidden from view it takes weeks to find.
    I'm sorry that would mean she isn't alive but for the family.....well, you know what I mean.

and a whole bunch of to keep you both safe in your search.

I know you guys are good with maps if you can find any way and route to search please help. I'm going out tomorrow and searching.

Thanks for your supportive messages.

Quote Originally Posted by leophoenix View Post
    I know you guys are good with maps if you can find any way and route to search please help. I'm going out tomorrow and searching.

Thanks for your supportive messages.
    In all the articles I've read...if I'm understanding them correctly....

Ms Young was LEAVING the Estelle address in Gaffney.

She was going to then go visit other relatives also in Gaffney.

She did not arrive there. Is that right?

Or did she arrive there, visit with them and leave from that address to return home?

Either way that address would seem to be important. Yet I couldn't find the address of those relatives in the articles I've read.

Do you know by any chance?

(FYI the bolding and spaced sentences are for me LOL I get disorganized very easily.)

Estelle To Concord Road.
    Both Sides of Concord Lead Into Gaffney
    Travel To Highway 150
    Never arrived at Birnie Street. (Her Cousin's Home)

On Concord Rd. I don't see anywhere for the car to be hidden. It looks rural from the maps but, not as much in person.

highway 150 leads to the downtown section so there isn't anywhere for a car to vanish there except if she got confused and went past the downtown area and back into the country or mistook 105 for 150.

Birnie St. is near Highway 11 so if she arrived and the relative was not home right then she may have just went back to Asheville (after 8pm) . That's my assumption since the major areas have been searched. Like I say many of the elderly in the area avoid major roadways.

Quote Originally Posted by leophoenix View Post
    Estelle To Concord Road.
    Both Sides of Concord Lead Into Gaffney
    Travel To Highway 150
    Never arrived at Birnie Street. (Her Cousin's Home)

On Concord Rd. I don't see anywhere for the car to be hidden. It looks rural from the maps but, not as much in person.

highway 150 leads to the downtown section so there isn't anywhere for a car to vanish there except if she got confused and went past the downtown area and back into the country or mistook 105 for 150.

Birnie St. is near Highway 11 so if she arrived and the relative was not home right then she may have just went back to Asheville (after 8pm) . That's my assumption since the major areas have been searched. Like I say many of the elderly in the area avoid major roadways.

Thank you, you even answered questions I had and hadn't asked!

The Birnie St ride is what's not clear. The articles I read seem to suggest she never made it to that address.

I can relate to the avoiding of major highways as I do the same. I also noticed that the highway...150 believe it is...goes further south than Estelle Rd so there's backtracking to the north. Now that would't set right with me and would have to find alternate back roads. Will go look at a map to see what looks 'right'.

Has this route been checked out? Lake area? The maps went to West or East Birnie...is that okay?

Estelle to Birnie

Head southeast on Estelle Rd
    Turn right at Concord Rd
    Turn left at Pleasant School Rd (goes past east side of Lake Whelcel)
    Stay south on Pleasant School Rd
    Turn right at N Limestone St/SC-18
    Continue to follow SC-18
    Continue on N Logan St
    Turn right at W Birnie St

Birnie St

It looks on the map like 150 can be accessed at the end of Grassy Pond Creek Rd. If so these are backroads I'd consider if going back to Ashville.

Heading home to Asheville from Estelle.

South end of Estelle Rd.
    Head south on Estelle Rd
    Turn right at Concord Rd
    Turn right at Oak Ridge Rd (Turn left at Ellis Ferry Rd to 150N)
    Turn left at Grassy Pond Creek Rd
    Turn right on 150 N

If opposite end of Estelle
    Turn left on Morgan Cross RD
    Turn right on Pleasant School Rd
    Turn left at Ellis Ferry Rd
    Turn right at 150N

Unhappy Coroner: Body Found In Submerged Car May Be Missing Woman

"GAFFNEY, S.C. -- The Cherokee County Coroner’s Office said a body found in a submerged car on Monday may be that of a woman missing since October.

Dennis Fowler, Cherokee County Coroner, said someone from Duke Energy spotted a car about 50 feet away from the Big Bay boat ramp on the Broad River around 9:30 a.m.

Fowler said divers were called to the scene and the car was pulled out of the water. The vehicle was identified as a 2002 Buick Century, he said."

Article here.

Ugh, this is just so awful. She must have been terrified.
    nothing seems black when i see your red shoes

leophoenix and capoly - bless you both for all your efforts here! I am so sorry for the sad result.

Salem

Thanks for the information on her discovery. Too sad.

This is an area near Dravo Dam. This is about 1/2 mile from where I live. It is just strange
    that she was found here. To drive in here she would have to drive down a road ramp off the road, turn left,
    and drive across a small parking lot into the river.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast