1323 users online (233 members and 1090 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 158
  1. #1
    Maya Love's Avatar
    Maya Love is offline I've been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DMV
    Posts
    327

    MD - Annie McCann, 16, Baltimore, 31 Oct 2008

    This case is local for me and it's one I can't let go. I've read most of the links I can find, focusing mostly on the comments section. So far, no more clues have been released- it's so out of character for this girl to runaway, I am hounded by the reasons why.

    "The two portraits seem almost irreconcilable. A smiling, artistic Fairfax County high school student who loved her family and her beagle, Breezy Max. A troubled 16-year-old girl, bent on finding personal freedom, who ran away from home on Halloween and was found dead two days later next to a dumpster at a seedy Baltimore housing complex. "

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110703621.html
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...3298728.column
    http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/...per=69&cat=104
    When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there. - George Harrison

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,459
    Snipped from The Baltimore Sun:
    She was an honors student who didn't show up at school Friday and was reported missing that evening when her parents found a note saying she had run away from home.

    .....

    More than 30 hours later, the thin girl with auburn hair and a perpetual smile was found dead at Perkins Homes, her white Volvo S60 parked five blocks away. She had a scrape on her forehead, a police spokesman said, but nothing that outwardly suggested a cause of death, which is listed by police as suspicious and by the medical examiner as undetermined.
    I wonder if she was drugged since there doesn't seem to be an obvious cause of death? I assume LE will take her computer and try to find out if she went to Baltimore to meet someone she met online or something. I'm sorry she felt the need to run away, may she rest in peace.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,762
    SieSie, i'm thinking she was drugged too..

    "The Volvo was unlocked, and the driver's seat was in the correct position for someone of Annie's height"
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110703621.html

    Very surprising nobody took anything out of the Volvo; if it was in the projects.

    Does anyone think it weird that the father:

    "About 5:30 a.m., her father said, he stuck his head in her bedroom where she was still asleep and said, "Goodbye, Annie. I love you." A little later, before Annie would have left for school, he called the house to tell her that the Killers, one of her favorite bands, would be playing nearby in January. He got no answer but said he figured she was in the bathroom or walking her beloved 12-year-old dog."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110703621.html

    Do parents normally call their children before they leave for school to tell them their favorite bands are playing months from now?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
    Does anyone think it weird that the father:

    "snipped
    Do parents normally call their children before they leave for school to tell them their favorite bands are playing months from now?
    I find everything odd about this case. . . except this. I would call both of my children if I heard their favourite bands were coming to town. . .so this part is the only thing I relate to.

    The parents saying the note was odd but definetly in her handwriting is the most alarming thing of all to me.
    I can be changed by what happens to me. I refuse to be reduced by it. Maya Angelou

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    49
    Snipped from Washington Post article: "Frantically, he called 911 and began searching every room and closet in the house, fearing he would find her injured, or worse. When police arrived, they found the note on Annie's bed."

    I find that weird. Why couldn't he see the note on her bed, surely her room would be the first place he looked.
    Last edited by missellen; 11-18-2008 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Added source of quote

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,762
    Quote Originally Posted by missellen View Post
    Snipped from Washington Post article: "Frantically, he called 911 and began searching every room and closet in the house, fearing he would find her injured, or worse. When police arrived, they found the note on Annie's bed."

    I find that weird. Why couldn't he see the note on her bed, surely her room would be the first place he looked.
    That is interesting that he would overlook it after searching every room and closet. Maybe he was just really frantic and overlooked it ..or maybe he put the note there.

    Even weirder is that to qoute her father:

    "Daniel McCann said he has been theorizing all week, racking his brain as to what Annie had been thinking and doing, but he declined to share his speculations. He has faith, however, that he will one day know the truth. "I have very few dots," he said. "But I believe they will be connected."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2.html?sub=new

    Her father has been theorizing all week and has a few dots he can connect in his head?...

    (WashingtonPost wants you to log in now; yet it's free)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
    Even weirder is that to qoute her father:

    "Daniel McCann said he has been theorizing all week, racking his brain as to what Annie had been thinking and doing, but he declined to share his speculations. He has faith, however, that he will one day know the truth. "I have very few dots," he said. "But I believe they will be connected."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2.html?sub=new

    Her father has been theorizing all week and has a few dots he can connect in his head?...
    (WashingtonPost wants you to log in now; yet it's free)
    I don't know that any posters have been able to connect dots either. It's strange that she ran away, and I don't believe a cause of death has yet been established. My guess is that this was an online encounter.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,762
    This is such a boggling case.. conflicting news reports about the note

    "According to Fairfax Police spokeswoman Tawny Wright, local police were notified of McCann’s disappearance on Halloween night after Annie’s father discovered her note. “A juvenile report was filed at that point,” she said."

    http://www.alextimes.com/article.asp...aper=1&cat=155

    Trino, i hear you about online encounters; i hope LE checks her computer and sees if she has a myspace or facebook. She could have met someone randomly online anywhere though =(

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,379
    The strange thing is there were no visible signs of trauma on the body. Signs of rape, however, wouldn't be so obvious right away. Maybe she was drugged or took something herself, the perp panicked, and threw her out of the car. Guess an autoposy will tell.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,685
    Quote Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
    SieSie, i'm thinking she was drugged too..

    "The Volvo was unlocked, and the driver's seat was in the correct position for someone of Annie's height"
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110703621.html

    Very surprising nobody took anything out of the Volvo; if it was in the projects.

    Does anyone think it weird that the father:

    "About 5:30 a.m., her father said, he stuck his head in her bedroom where she was still asleep and said, "Goodbye, Annie. I love you." A little later, before Annie would have left for school, he called the house to tell her that the Killers, one of her favorite bands, would be playing nearby in January. He got no answer but said he figured she was in the bathroom or walking her beloved 12-year-old dog."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110703621.html

    Do parents normally call their children before they leave for school to tell them their favorite bands are playing months from now?

    My husband tends to do that simply because he has to tell them while he remembers it.


  11. #11
    Maya Love's Avatar
    Maya Love is offline I've been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DMV
    Posts
    327
    From all accounts, she doesn't sound like the typical teenager.

    From all that knew her, no one claims to have known her well. On one comment section, a fellow student questions how thin she was. This quote from her father alludes to what I'd describe as abnormal teen behavior, "Annie was not the type to go to a friend's house after school or come home and call those she had just left at school. She'd walk Breezy and then get into her pajamas and stay in the house," her father said.

    IMO, she could easily have been heading somewhere else other than B'more, she may have gotten off the exit and gotten lost, which is very easily done in B'more.
    When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there. - George Harrison

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,682
    A teenage girl show does not go to her "friends" house or even call those friends after school.

    Now that is odd. Either she did not have many, if any, friends, or somehow she decided to "exclude" those friends.

    Sound like she could have been depressed.

    As far as I know there is not "typical" profile of a teen run away.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    232
    I wonder why the mother left early that morning for the college weekend and didn't wait until Annie and her dad could go with her? Why take two cars and spend twice the amount on gas?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,682
    I await the analysis of her blood and if drugs were somehow involved.

    How many times have we heard that "the neighbor" was a "wonderful" husband and Father. But then "the dark" side that was to be hidden comes out, by a crime that he committed.

    My sympathy to the parents of this young girl. I hope they get the answers they are looking for .

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CFL
    Posts
    12
    I don't know if her dad was involved or not, I hate to jump to conclusions like that about a parent without a little more evidence. I'm leaning more towards she was going to meet someone. She was a loner and a lot of lonely people reach out to others on the internet. I think she met someone online and went to meet them, possibly got lost (father said she was horrible at directions) and fell into the wrong hands.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY MD - Mia Lynn Nichols, 37, Baltimore, 28 October 2008
    By Salem in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2015, 11:57 PM
  2. GUILTY MD - Turner Nelson, 3, Baltimore, 3 February 2008
    By hoppyfrog in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-16-2015, 08:55 PM
  3. CANADA Canada - Lyle McCann, 78, & Marie McCann, 77; Missing! Media links
    By imamaze in forum Missing but not forgotten Timeline Forum and Media Links
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 03-02-2015, 05:54 PM

Tags for this Thread