1262 users online (204 members and 1058 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thank you, Tricia.

(And Adnoid and the other mods as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    Just wanted to stop by and say how much I appreciate this forum (Tricia, {hugs}) and what a wonderful job the mods do for us all!

I know you ALWAYS hear when things are not right, but I wanted you to know that MANY of us appreciate everything that IS RIGHT.

Thank you for all you do!

fran
    I second this completely!!! Thank you for such a wonderful forum....it is getting better and better IMO!

On a personal note, a few years ago, I joined WS and was denied because I had a yahoo email address. Somehow, I was able to convince you to let me join....I won't forget that and I am so happy to be a member here. In light of the recent events I just read about, I thought I'd let you know how much WS and the people here mean to me. The cases are a big part of my life and I am constantly learning from members here. Just thought I'd let you all know! Thank you Tricia and Mods for EVERYTHING you do!

WHERE IS CAYLEE???

Tricia & All The Mod's Are the unsung hero's of this site in my book..

Very lot of work in this.. I know I am Mod on a other unconnected site..

I have a question regarding alerting a MOD of a "copied" post . . . meaning I have seen it cut & pasted from another forum (not WS & not sure if it is an allowed forum), so I am not sure how to deal with it (or if I should at all) - Thanks!

Thanks to all the MODs keeping WS a credible forum !
    ~ krimekat ~
    Live in Peace & Peace will live in you

++++++++++++
    Forum Information & Esoterica

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased IN - Aliahna Maroney Lemmon, 9, Fort Wayne, 23 Dec 2011, #2

from tonight . . . 1,027 alerts on one thread (Aliahna Maroney Lemmon Thread #2)

Don't know how you do it, MODs; wish more posters would read & subscribe to Forum Information & Esoterica sub-thread

Thanks for all you do!!!
    Last edited by KateB; 04-04-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    ~ krimekat ~

++++++++++++

one more thing -- I thought I saw a thread about using Facebook in WS posts? Are there any rules around this social media? Is it defined somewhere or is it case by case?

Thanks, again!
    ~ krimekat ~

++++++++++++

Quote Originally Posted by krimekat View Post
    I have a question regarding alerting a MOD of a "copied" post . . . meaning I have seen it cut & pasted from another forum (not WS & not sure if it is an allowed forum), so I am not sure how to deal with it (or if I should at all) - Thanks!

Thanks to all the MODs keeping WS a credible forum !
    If there is a quote from another forum, it needs to have a link for copyright reasons. If the link comes out with *******, then it is a site that is not allowed for discussion on WS for one reason or another and the poster needs to delete their post.

Hope that helps!

Not sure if this is the right forum, but has anyone had any malicious web attacks while using WS? During the last week I've had several while on the boards while only logged onto WS. My Norton Internet Security has blocked it, but it appears that while putting in my User Name and Password sets something off. I've been getting a message:

An intrusion attempt by (insert IP address here) was blocked.

It's never happened before, so I don't know if it's WS or something else!

Thanks

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but has anyone had any malicious web attacks while using WS? During the last week I've had several while on the boards while only logged onto WS. My Norton Internet Security has blocked it, but it appears that while putting in my User Name and Password sets something off. I've been getting a message:

An intrusion attempt by (insert IP address here) was blocked.

It's never happened before, so I don't know if it's WS or something else!

Thanks

Mel
    There is a very informative discussion about this topic here: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 04-04-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by krimekat View Post
    one more thing -- I thought I saw a thread about using Facebook in WS posts? Are there any rules around this social media? Is it defined somewhere or is it case by case?

Thanks, again!
    Facebook and other social media site links are determined on a case-by-case basis. There can't be any hard and fast rule that fits all because there are a lot of grey areas.

Generally speaking, usually the victim's FB is allowed to be linked and any other main players approved to be sleuthable. As you can imagine, those change as the evidence and facts unfold. No comments can be copied and pasted here - only the FB link with general directions. Any of the Facebook "Support" pages, etc...have to be mod approved before they are permitted to be linked.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Hey mods,

again - not sure if this is the right place to post. Is there a way to limit the size of pictures in signatures? I can't believe how large some are getting and they take up half my screen! Trying to download posts from WS is getting harder and harder with these ridiculously sized signature piccies.

See below as an example. If said poster posts 1/2 dozen times in a thread, there's no way I'm gonna continue to wade through it.

PLEASE HELP!

Melanie

a6890d35-0238-5ebc.jpg

ETA: this piccie shows up wayyyy smaller than it does on a post that I view.

If you have an issue with someone's signature line, alert one of their posts and the mods will take care of it privately.

I have a question about being flagged.

I recently participated in a discussion that was closed due to alerts. While I agree that the discussion was heated in a few places, I felt that for the most part everyone was respectful. Personally, I have always followed the TOS and I have never been issued a warning or TO. I am very careful that I don't because I care about the feelings of others and I respect this website.

My question is, are there any repercussions (warnings or TOs) for people who alert on posts that are not breaking any rules? For example, if I alert on a post and the poster has done nothing wrong, I just disagree with their position, is that ok to do? Because I feel like it is unfair that people react emotionally and get a discussion shut down even though for the most part everyone is playing nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLori View Post
    I have a question about being flagged.

I recently participated in a discussion that was closed due to alerts. While I agree that the discussion was heated in a few places, I felt that for the most part everyone was respectful. Personally, I have always followed the TOS and I have never been issued a warning or TO. I am very careful that I don't because I care about the feelings of others and I respect this website.

My question is, are there any repercussions (warnings or TOs) for people who alert on posts that are not breaking any rules? For example, if I alert on a post and the poster has done nothing wrong, I just disagree with their position, is that ok to do? Because I feel like it is unfair that people react emotionally and get a discussion shut down even though for the most part everyone is playing nicely.
    It is a very rare occasion when someone gets a TO for abusing the alert feature. The member would have to be alerting many times a day and being rude in the alerts. I've only known it to happen a couple of times in the four years I've been a mod and they were well-warned ahead of time.

If someone alerts on a post and there is nothing wrong, the mods just scroll on by. If a thread is closed and the mods say it's because of excessive alerts - they mean that the alerts were justified. It would probably be better if we as a mod team would be more specific and say it's because of forum infractions. We would never close a thread because of unwarranted alerts.

The reason you aren't seeing the posts that are in violation of the rules is that generally the mods are there immediately and remove the posts from viewing. We handle problem posts behind the scenes because we do not believe in publicly shaming our members.

The only time you might see some problematic posts is if the mods are hanging out in a donut shop and not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    It is a very rare occasion when someone gets a TO for abusing the alert feature. The member would have to be alerting many times a day and being rude in the alerts. I've only known it to happen a couple of times in the four years I've been a mod and they were well-warned ahead of time.

If someone alerts on a post and there is nothing wrong, the mods just scroll on by. If a thread is closed and the mods say it's because of excessive alerts - they mean that the alerts were justified. It would probably be better if we as a mod team would be more specific and say it's because of forum infractions. We would never close a thread because of unwarranted alerts.

The reason you aren't seeing the posts that are in violation of the rules is that generally the mods are there immediately and remove the posts from viewing. We handle problem posts behind the scenes because we do not believe in publicly shaming our members.

The only time you might see some problematic posts is if the mods are hanging out in a donut shop and not paying attention.
    Thank you, Kimster, for taking the time to give this explanation. I really do appreciate it and all the mods here do to keep this place running smoothly. Thanks again!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast