799 users online (164 members and 635 guests)  

Websleuths News

Naples-area toddler killed by falling TV

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) -- A toddler has died after a sibling accidentally pulled a TV set down on him at a Naples area home.
    Collier County deputies say an older sibling climbed on a television stand in a bedroom to turn off the 36-inch set. That caused the TV to fall on 16-month-old Julian Sanchez.
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US

Awful situation. I'm always harping on my children about making sure items are attached to the wall and stable for grandchildren. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't.

Prayers are with the family especially the sibling.

I cannot imagine the grief for this poor family. Prayers go out to them.

I feel so sorry for the sibling. He will live with that guilt for the rest of his life. I hope his parents will get him some counseling.

So Cal Redlands, CA to be exact. We call it Inland Empire!
    This is trully sad and heartbreaking. I have strapped down all of my furniture that rests against walls, but I don't think you can strap a tv down to anything. Very sad my prayers are with the family.
    The world is divided into two kinds of people: those who have tattoos, and those who are afraid of people with tattoos. ~Author Unknown

Mother is the name for God on the hearts and lips of all children.

This is such a huge, huge issue in child death and injury. The Dallas Morning News online has done a good job of publicizing the danger to children, especially toddlers, from tvs on dressers or stands that are insecure, but more should be done.

About 14 years ago I was on the phone booking my almost three year old daughter's birthday party at one of those Chuck E type places. My daughter walked over to the very low tv stand and pulled out the drawer that held the videos. The tv began tumbling towards her. I caught it in time, but it was horrifying.

The physics of television stands or furniture is so misunderstood. It would be well worth a public campaign on television. ads.

The only good news is that at some point, we'll be down to flat screen and wall mounted units that won't be such a risk.

But until then, how many little children will be injured or killed unnecessarily?

This happen's often. Just yesterday I screwed my daughter high dresser into a stud in four places. You cannot be safe enough..

xxxxxxxxxoooo
    mama

This is so sad. My oldest son's very heavy dresser and TV started falling on him a couple of years ago. Luckily he is big enough that he caught it and yelled for me. If it had been one of my smaller kids, it could have been bad. We did screw the dresser to the wall after that.

im an adult but about got flattened by a huge heavy wall mounted cabinet that pulled out of a bathroom wall and fell on me when i opened the door on it. VERY scary and dangerous. i only weigh about 110 lbs and this thing was much heavier plus it was full of stuff. it shattered part of the toilet, which is what kept it from flattening me.
    Lashelle

"Remember, They will never buy the cow if they can get the eggs for free! " ... Kelly Bundy

My baby had his leg and foot broken on his second birthday by a falling tv. Thank God that was all that was crushed. My prayers go out to this family.