1333 users online (270 members and 1063 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NC - Micheal Pendley, 21, Glenwood, 23 Oct 2008

4 weeks later, No Sign of Missing Man

Pendley was last seen around 5 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 23. Family members have said that he and his wife argued outside their Cherokee Way residence that afternoon. Pendley sprinted to the woods at the back of their mobile home and disappeared.

http://www2.mcdowellnews.com/content...an/news-local/

Missing man's family pleads for help

Michael has three children – 3-year-old Malaya, 2-year-old Jayden Michael and 3-year-old Robert – and a little girl on the way.
    "He found out the day he went missing that he was going to have a little girl," Mark stated between tears. "He was so happy."
    Mark added that his son was generous and "would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it."
    "He had a great personality," said Michael's father.
    "He was all the time joking," Misty agreed.
    The family added that Michael underwent two brain surgeries in 2006 to have two tumors removed. The surgeries caused a couple of minor medical issues, but they didn't change who he was or how he acted, they stated.

http://www2.mcdowellnews.com/content...lp/news-local/

Picture of Michael with article.

Search for Marion resident continues
    http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...=2008811070348

Hopefully this will work (google image of area). They showed some of the search probably last week on the news and it's clear there's a lot of woods, but do you know if there are drop-offs and such (mountains)? I'm not at all familiar with the area...

ok - here's the link which should show Goose Creek Road and Cherokee Way

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...13733&t=h&z=16
    All comments IMHO, etc etc

A few days ago I received an email with the names of 5-6 missing people with a request to get info out there. Michael was on the list. So I am not familiar with the area either, maconrich. Thank you for the map.....it is a far more rural than I thought.

I've read what I could find on Michael. The way he ran into the woods after the argument doesn't sound typical of a 26 year old. I wonder what was the reason for the 2 surgeries and was it perhaps re-occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by capoly View Post
    A few days ago I received an email with the names of 5-6 missing people with a request to get info out there. Michael was on the list. So I am not familiar with the area either, maconrich. Thank you for the map.....it is a far more rural than I thought.

I've read what I could find on Michael. The way he ran into the woods after the argument doesn't sound typical of a 26 year old. I wonder what was the reason for the 2 surgeries and was it perhaps re-occurring.
    Gotcha. There are a lot of high mountains in the county but can't really tell from the google map if they're sitting up on one or not And yes it's rural and rugged -- at least that's the impression I've gotten from passing thru on 40 and what the news has shown.

They seem to be saying two things with the surgery - either he may need meds or may not so I'm totally confused on that other than they were for tumors.

The part about local rumors caught my attention right away. His wife looked a wreck and quite pregnant. Just didn't hit me that he'd take off and leave them, ykwim?? They've not indicated that any other adults were around when he left, but who knows...Falling or slipping down a mountain isn't that hard to do esp if someone is ticked off and not paying close attention...

Hopefully someone local will see the thread and help give us some details!

Thank you for posting the info!!

Missing man a robbery victim?

"His wife took commitment papers out on him, so he might be trying to hide," the lieutenant stated

http://www2.mcdowellnews.com/content...im/news-local/

Well, commitment papers in my State aren't that easy to come by....if NC is the same than Michael must have been exhibiting some questionable behaviors prior to being missing.

It does allow for some hope for the family though. He may be in hiding if in his state of mind he believes he can't trust family members.

Yes, hope someone local stops in.....and thank you!

Involuntary Commitments

hmmmmm...sounds like a rough area Sadly there's a pretty big meth problem in NC with a lot of activity (manufacturing) in the more rural areas which includes much of McDowell Co. Mind you I'd rather think he's ok and hiding with friends than think something happened to him.... Plus it's been just plain bitter cold the last week or so...

I looked up Involuntary Commitments and it looks pretty standard (not the easiest thing to get accomplished). His parents pointed out in interviews that the tumors/surgery didn't change his personality, but I've not seen anything where his wife says the same. And the statement that he needs medication... well something clearly isn't right or the wife wouldn't have been able to get those papers.

legal requirements:
    "Chapter 122C of the North Carolina General Statutes requires that the respondent be mentally ill and a danger to himself or others or in need of treatment in order to prevent further disability or deterioration that would predictably result in dangerousness."

It goes on to give the definitions of danger to self or others; says that either must have been within the relevant past and that it should only be used as a last resort.
    http://www.aoc.state.nc.us/magistrate/commitments.htm

"Sadly, Michael is the cousin of 20-year-old Daniel Edward Mosteller of Pine Street in Marion, who was reported missing on April 23. His remains were found a week and a day later in a shallow grave in Madison County. "

http://www2.mcdowellnews.com/content...still-ongoing/

Asheville Citizen-Times (NC) - May 3, 2008

Murder suspect knew victim
    By Josh Boatwright JBOATWRIGHT@CITIZEN-TIMES.COM ASHEVILLE — A man found buried beneath the porch of an abandoned Madison County house had been stabbed to death the day of his April 21 disappearance, authorities said Friday.The Buncombe County Sheriff's Office also Friday charged Dwayne Hoyte Dockery, 41, of Marion, with first-degree murder in the death of Daniel Edward Mosteller, 20, also from Marion.The men knew each other, but sheriff's Lt....

Brief

Quote Originally Posted by maconrich View Post
    hmmmmm...sounds like a rough area Sadly there's a pretty big meth problem in NC with a lot of activity (manufacturing) in the more rural areas which includes much of McDowell Co. Mind you I'd rather think he's ok and hiding with friends than think something happened to him.... Plus it's been just plain bitter cold the last week or so...

I looked up Involuntary Commitments and it looks pretty standard (not the easiest thing to get accomplished). His parents pointed out in interviews that the tumors/surgery didn't change his personality, but I've not seen anything where his wife says the same. And the statement that he needs medication... well something clearly isn't right or the wife wouldn't have been able to get those papers.

legal requirements:
    "Chapter 122C of the North Carolina General Statutes requires that the respondent be mentally ill and a danger to himself or others or in need of treatment in order to prevent further disability or deterioration that would predictably result in dangerousness."

It goes on to give the definitions of danger to self or others; says that either must have been within the relevant past and that it should only be used as a last resort.
    http://www.aoc.state.nc.us/magistrate/commitments.htm
    Perhaps that's why the parents were saying there were no negative affects from the surgery yet the wife was silent.

Same requirements as here re commitment papers. Guess the media is either not privy to the full story at this time.......or being sensitive to the story. .....

Quote Originally Posted by capoly View Post
    Perhaps that's why the parents were saying there were no negative affects from the surgery yet the wife was silent.

Same requirements as here re commitment papers. Guess the media is either not privy to the full story at this time.......or being sensitive to the story. .....
    I'm beginning to think that is exactly the case especially after reading about his cousin's tragic murder. It's all so very, very sad...

Texas team joins search

The Texas-based group that has searched for Natalee Holloway in Aruba and Caylee Anthony in Florida will be in McDowell this weekend to assist in the hunt for a missing Glenwood man.

Texas EquuSearch Mounted Search and Recovery Team, led by Tim Miller, will scour the woods behind the Cherokee Way residence of Michael Leon Pendley Saturday.

Pendley, 21, was last seen around 5 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 23. Family members have said that he and his wife argued outside their home that afternoon. Pendley sprinted to the woods at the back of their mobile home and disappeared. He hasn't been seen or heard from since.McDowell County sheriff's deputies have conducted dozens of interviews, as well as searches and checkpoints, and they've come up with little concrete information concerning Pendley's whereabouts.

Mark Conner, Pendley's father, read about EquuSearch on the Internet and called them.

'(Tim Miller) said he would be glad to help' Conner stated. </p>

More at link

http://www2.mcdowellnews.com/content...ch/news-local/

Thanks, maconrich, will be praying there is some closure for the family.

Quote Originally Posted by maconrich View Post
    The Texas-based group that has searched for Natalee Holloway in Aruba and Caylee Anthony in Florida will be in McDowell this weekend to assist in the hunt for a missing Glenwood man.

Texas EquuSearch Mounted Search and Recovery Team, led by Tim Miller, will scour the woods behind the Cherokee Way residence of Michael Leon Pendley Saturday.

Pendley, 21, was last seen around 5 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 23. Family members have said that he and his wife argued outside their home that afternoon. Pendley sprinted to the woods at the back of their mobile home and disappeared. He hasn't been seen or heard from since.McDowell County sheriff's deputies have conducted dozens of interviews, as well as searches and checkpoints, and they've come up with little concrete information concerning Pendley's whereabouts.

Mark Conner, Pendley's father, read about EquuSearch on the Internet and called them.

'(Tim Miller) said he would be glad to help' Conner stated. </p>

More at link

http://www2.mcdowellnews.com/content...ch/news-local/

If you hear anything, maconrich, pls post if able? Thanks.

The local news said TES was on their way but didn't say when. They went on to say no one is sure what happened to Michael - if he was abducted, had an accident (I think they said medical). Nothing in any of the papers today... but I did find his myspace page and one that's his cousins and has a lot of pictures of him plus there are some comments about him being missing in her blog and messages...

Michael's myspace:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=271 376454

his cousin's: (turn speakers down)
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=83675682

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast