Trial Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleuthyGal

Former Member
Reaction score
Even though a trial is many months away and possibly longer than a year away, it would be interesting to get everyone's thoughts on trial strategy, witness presentation, etc, etc.

For instance, do you think the defense will be looking for a speedy trial (which the defendant has a right to?)

What about change of venue.

Do you think it's warranted in this case? If yes, why? If not, why not?

I think they will want the trial to start quickly. Based on the sentiment on golo - the pool is NOT tainted as far as I can tell, but they'll likely ask for a change of venue just due to the enormous publicity - can't blame them.

I also think that BC will NOT do well in jail. I think that he'll start not being able to control his anger and resentment toward Nancy and any ability he may have had to be convincing about him "trying to save their marriage" will quickly fade as he lets the anger build. I am sure that he blames her for his incarceration - in that somehow if she'd been a better mother / wife / partner that he wouldn't be there.

Brad also seemed to define himself by his status, his job, his athleticism, his standing in the community and also liked being in control. All of these things have been taken away from him in jail. He's also likely a Type A person - and will want things to move expeditiously and might even push his attorneys or become uncooperative if he feels that things are not going fast enough. I also truly think he believes that he will be acquitted and will want to get back to his life ASAP. He'll also want "his side" of the story told - it's quite possible that getting him to agree to NOT testify will be one of their bigger challenges - as I am sure he finds himself quite convincing and will want the opportunity to "impress" the jury.

Wow good thoughts there!

I actually don't think he'll take the stand in his defense. I don't see him wanting to be questioned by a prosecutor. Of course it all depends on what physical evidence has been found. But he wasn't looking too keen to take the stand in the custody case, so I think the same will likely apply to the trial.

As for change of venue, I agree his lawyers will ask for it, but I actually think they'd be dumb not to take advantage of the pro-Brad sentiment that abounds in this area. There are a lot of people who think he's been unfairly accused just because the 'husband is always accused.' Lots of angry men here who can identify with a "spend-thrift wife bent on ruining a good guy."

They take this case to another county and they may come to regret that decision because Brad will just appear to be a rich/white/spoiled/Yankee (even if he is Canadian) and it won't play well in other areas of the state. The melting pot is here in the Triangle, along with a more liberal attitude. It can be a bit more inbred in rural areas, more conservative, and he will be seen as an outsider. Outsiders are not trusted as easily. But here in Wake County so many people have moved from other areas.

Dunno, Bobbie Cutts taking the stand and crying like a baby a$$ is probably the only thing that saved him from a death sentence.

He appeared to regret what he did. Whether he regretted it or not...who knows.

I don't see the death penalty rattling Brad like it did Cutts. If it's true that Brad was at one time depressed/suicidal then sitting in prison for the next 40 years might be worse in his mind than knowing this life would end sooner....certainly within 20 years and usually less.

He appeared to regret what he did. Whether he regretted it or not...who knows.

I don't see the death penalty rattling Brad like it did Cutts. If it's true that Brad was at one time depressed/suicidal then sitting in prison for the next 40 years might be worse in his mind than knowing this life would end sooner....certainly within 20 years and usually less.

I do - he is a coward. Otherwise he would have done more than threaten suicide, he would have done it. He didn't. He remains a coward if he murdered Nancy and refuses to admit it. All the lies are a coward's pathway, and there are many being exposed, one after another and we haven't heard the end of them yet. IMO he won't take the stand during the guilt phase, but if there is a penalty phase, he might well do it to save himself. This whole thing has been nothing but about Brad.

What about change of venue.

Do you think it's warranted in this case? If yes, why? If not, why not?

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4001804/

Sandlin argued Friday that the press and public’s right to know does not outweigh a defendant’s right to a fair criminal trial.
Releasing the order, she said, could taint a potential jury pool for Cooper's murder trial because of the widespread public interest in the his wife's death.

Cooper's criminal attorney, Howard Kurtz, is considering requesting a change of venue for that trial. "No matter how it is we approach it, it's going to be an extremely difficult hurdle at this point" given the information available to potential jurors via filings in the custody case, Kurtz said.

Hope he includes a link to the K & B website in his filing....

Kinda like Howard was driving the clown car in the media circus, eh?

Kinda like Howard was driving the clown car in the media circus, eh?

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Outside of the warrants, and a Ex Parte order, all of the other information out in the public forum was compliments of K & B. They could have settled this matter like grown ups in a judge's chambers without a single affidavit ever having been published. Not sure if it is the clown bus or the clown train.

Cooper's criminal attorney, Howard Kurtz, is considering requesting a change of venue for that trial. "No matter how it is we approach it, it's going to be an extremely difficult hurdle at this point" given the information available to potential jurors via filings in the custody case, Kurtz said.

Hope he includes a link to the K & B website in his filing....

Now that would be an interesting hearing. The prosecutors would be able to bring in the web pages from K&B's own site to show the judge how the defense is busy peeing in that very pool.

I think they will want the trial to start quickly. Based on the sentiment on golo - the pool is NOT tainted as far as I can tell, but they'll likely ask for a change of venue just due to the enormous publicity - can't blame them.

I also think that BC will NOT do well in jail. I think that he'll start not being able to control his anger and resentment toward Nancy and any ability he may have had to be convincing about him "trying to save their marriage" will quickly fade as he lets the anger build. I am sure that he blames her for his incarceration - in that somehow if she'd been a better mother / wife / partner that he wouldn't be there.

Brad also seemed to define himself by his status, his job, his athleticism, his standing in the community and also liked being in control. All of these things have been taken away from him in jail. He's also likely a Type A person - and will want things to move expeditiously and might even push his attorneys or become uncooperative if he feels that things are not going fast enough. I also truly think he believes that he will be acquitted and will want to get back to his life ASAP. He'll also want "his side" of the story told - it's quite possible that getting him to agree to NOT testify will be one of their bigger challenges - as I am sure he finds himself quite convincing and will want the opportunity to "impress" the jury.

Seems he should have used his opportunity to impress during the custody battle.

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Outside of the warrants, and a Ex Parte order, all of the other information out in the public forum was compliments of K & B. They could have settled this matter like grown ups in a judge's chambers without a single affidavit ever having been published. Not sure if it is the clown bus or the clown train.

I think Bazemore announcing during her last presser that NC's death was a result of the worst kind of domestic violence is reason enough for a change in venue. IMO, she violated his rights when she made such a statement.

I think Bazemore announcing during her last presser that NC's death was a result of the worst kind of domestic violence is reason enough for a change in venue. IMO, she violated his rights when she made such a statement.

I would agree if the Chief had made the statement before he was arrested. She didn't, and like everyone else, she is entitled to her opinion. Good for BC to have rights, Nancy no longer has any - whine on.

I would agree if the Chief had made the statement before he was arrested. She didn't, and like everyone else, she is entitled to her opinion. Good for BC to have rights, Nancy no longer has any - whine on.

She should not have made the statement prior to him being found guilty in a court of law. Just because NC is no longer here does not give this LE agency the unprecedented right to violate the rights of BC. There is still a remote possibility that he did not do it.

:clap::clap:

I suspect that Bazemore knows what she is talking about. We will see when the trial goes ahead.

:clap::clap:

I suspect that Bazemore knows what she is talking about. We will see when the trial goes ahead.

It does not matter what she knows or does not know at this point. It was an unacceptable violation.

So you are saying she is incapable of letting the community know it is SAFE!! without violating rights?

She should not have made the statement prior to him being found guilty in a court of law. Just because NC is no longer here does not give this LE agency the unprecedented right to violate the rights of BC. There is still a remote possibility that he did not do it.

Unprecedented? According to who? How were his rights violated?

And please compare and contrast his rights being violated with the people named on K&B's website...were their rights violated? If not, why not?

This police dept. has been quieter than most PDs across the country. Have you seen the statements released in the Caylee Anthony case by not only the PD but the judge? Have you seen the evidence released so far?

By comparison, BC should be dancing a jig in his little cell that his PD and DA are so tight-lipped and never discuss evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77