757 users online (94 members and 663 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    I have alot of old postcards/letters in my family and some of them are "picture" postcard - actual photographs, old b/w ones. It is possible that the picture was one of those postcards and had an address on the other side (either to or from). Don't they call Italy "Italia" in Europe? And all caps is often used for the country when sending int'l mail. So it could have been the "A" form the end of Italia and then the zip? Just a thought...
    Yea, the Italian word for Italy is Italia.

The way to address a mailing label is as below:

SIG MARIO ROSSI [recipient]
    VIALE EUROPA 22 [street + house/building number]
    00144 ROMA RM [postal code + city + province code] Province code is two letters.
    ITALY

Any of these would have been postal codes for Palermo- 90010, 90010-90035, 90037-90049, 90100

I'm just curious if anyone ever considered that perhaps the "ilil" on the back of the photo could have been an Illinois reference? The letter was mailed anonymously in Kentucky which sits between West Virginia, home to this family, and Illinois. In addition Illinois has two precincts numbered A90132 and A90135. And I may be wrong here but I thought I had read somewhere that the children's mother had previously lived or had family ties perhaps to Illinois.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I might really be grasping at straws here, but I decided to put ilil into Google translate to see what it came up with, and it happens to be "the" in Maltese...
    I just thought it was interesting, considering that number is a zip code in Italy...

Is it possible that A90132 could be a license plate?

Quote Originally Posted by jphiggins View Post
    I'm doubtful, as Italian license plates in that time period didn't follow that format. Neither did Florida plates, which were supposedly the plates on the kidnappers' car.

Quote Originally Posted by jphiggins View Post
    I don't know about that and I am new here, BUT it is a hex triplet in the RGB color model, one very close to red and so is A90135.

For some reason I keep getting a hit for the KY correctional center when I look that number up. Inmate? The number isn't visible on the page when I click the link which means the crawler is picking it up in their sites script or database. Has anyone called there to ask if that was an inmate number?
    A90132 in Google, and about 4 page I think or 3 into the results there's the KY correctional facility page. Weird.

The number on the back of the photograph 90132 is actually also the number of Italy Avenue, San Francisco, CA, USA, the ‘A’ before 90132 or 90135 representing ‘area’ then the number which you search and both ’35 and 32′ come up the same place.

From what I found on Wikipedia, Italy didn't start using its postal code system until 1967. I did not see a specific month, though. The prefix that may precede their codes is not an "A" but an "I" or "IT".

Per http://zip-codes.nonsolocap.it/docs/italian-zip-code/, the first day of the code system was 7/1/67.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2