Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeorJustUs View Post
    My theory on the hits in the backyard are this...

CA took the clothing and hosed them off. Possibly by or in the sandbox area.

Water from hosing off the clothing "pooled" at the pool area.

Rinsed clothing was then carried and draped in the playhouse to drip most or all of the water out before she took the clothes into the house to put in the washing machine.

The water might dilute the cadaver scent slightly, but only slightly and won't eliminate it.

Strongest scents would be where she rinsed the clothing, where the rinsed material "pooled" and where the clothes dripped dry in the playhouse area.

Dogs would indeed "hit" on those areas and track the trail to those areas.

If the clothing was dry or almost dry when she took them into the house, there may not be much for the dogs to track into the home.

I would be curious to know if those same dogs were worked around the washing machine/laundry room. Pause for thought.

Also, something to keep in mind. Bodies which are donated to science often are used for "cadaver work" for the dogs. While the bits and pieces here or there are useful and very beneficial, full human body decomp has thrown some dogs due to the intensity of the odor. They will hit on the outskirts, where the minimal odor that they trained on (pieces) is, often nowhere close to the actual body. Dogs need to be proofed and certified on full cadaver to help minimize incidents of this.

Hope that helps some.
    A well trained dog will find the small scent, but will "follow" it to the strongest scent for the alert area. Where they might make a peripheral hit is when a body in under a tree or something like that where the scent comes up from a break in the ground away from the tree rather than under the tree.

I don't know how they train in other areas, but we train with full cadavers as well as scent. I cannot tell any difference in how mine works with full cadaver or pieces. Casper can hit on a tooth, blood, and other pieces. I have not started cleaned bones yet. We even hang scents in trees to teach the dog to work with the wind to get to the cadaver.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteangora View Post
    Washers in the garage are mainly in the older homes, pre 1970.
    I lived there many years, our Laundry room was in the house since our house was built in the 80's.
    We have rented new homes in Orlando for vacation and they have all had W/D in the garage. I found that inconvenient. Maybe they have gone back to putting them in the garages.

JusticeorJustUs is offline Sometimes there's Justice. Sometimes there's just us.
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBOTHINK View Post
    A well trained dog will find the small scent, but will "follow" it to the strongest scent for the alert area. Where they might make a peripheral hit is when a body in under a tree or something like that where the scent comes up from a break in the ground away from the tree rather than under the tree.

I don't know how they train in other areas, but we train with full cadavers as well as scent. I cannot tell any difference in how mine works with full cadaver or pieces. Casper can hit on a tooth, blood, and other pieces. I have not started cleaned bones yet. We even hang scents in trees to teach the dog to work with the wind to get to the cadaver.
    Bold by me --

Well trained was my point exactly. Agree, too on the other reason for a peripheral hit.

I've seen others never use a full cadaver and then wonder why their dog fails certification.

Never crosses their mind that their dog wasn't properly trained.
    If the Anthony's said "Good Morning" to me passing on the street I'd have to run home and go to bed because surely it would be night time.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeorJustUs View Post
    Most do not use psuedo or synthetic scents because the dogs would be trained to hit on that, not cadaver. Then, when one goes into court and has to testify the question is posed, "Has your dog ever hit on anything other than human remains?" The response, of course, would be "Yes." There goes credibility.

I know in the UK they cannot use human cadaver and use porcine instead. That proved to be a costly mistake when TBI brought in that yo-yo with the two Springer "cadaver" dogs from the UK in the Analyce Guerra case in Smyrna, TN. Yo-Yo claimed the body would be in the creek. Hundreds of thousands spent draining the creek after our local teams made it clear that Analyce hadn't headed towards the creek. Their dogs, in fact, tracked to the parking lot and down the road.

The end result was that Analyce's little body was found behind Stones River National Monument/Battlefield about 2 miles from me and about 10 miles from her home in Smyrna.

Whether she'd have ever been found alive if so much time hadn't been wasted on bringing in improperly trained dogs, damming and draining the creek, etc., who's to say?

Good luck with your training! It's interesting, fun and a lot of hard work, isn't it?
    It sounds like the dogs were poorly trained rather than the scent they trained with. I don't understand why they would bring in dogs from the UK because some of the best cadaver dogs in the U.S. are in Tennessee. I am shocked they brought those dogs into the case.

I am not familiar with this case, but a tracking dog should have been able to tracked her for the cadaver dogs to search. I will read some more about it.

Would a cadaver dog identify scent that was located up high? Say, above garage storage area or attic?
    Just curious. I remember reading an article about the use of "above garage storage" which appeared to be written by LA on a website. I need to try and find this.

JusticeorJustUs is offline Sometimes there's Justice. Sometimes there's just us.
    It sounds like the dogs were poorly trained rather than the scent they trained with. I don't understand why they would bring in dogs from the UK because some of the best cadaver dogs in the U.S. are in Tennessee. I am shocked they brought those dogs into the case.

I am not familiar with this case, but a tracking dog should have been able to tracked her for the cadaver dogs to search. I will read some more about it.

Turbo -- it was a combination of both poor training and what they were trained on.

We were all shocked to find out they were bringing someone in, too. I mean completely gobsmacked.

Tracking dogs tracked her from the home, to the parking lot and down the road quite a ways before the scent was lost. That dog's handler, as well as the second dog's handler, are friends of mine. The dogs never tracked to the playground area -- completely bypassed it because the freshest scent was the car trail. It was all so heartbreaking. I lived in Smyrna at the time and yes, some of the best dogs are right here in Tennessee. Even Memphis dogs were brought in as I recall. Still, due the urinating-match between various LE departments and one of the SAR groups, this yo-yo from UK was brought in.

The whole thing left many scratching their heads.
    If the Anthony's said "Good Morning" to me passing on the street I'd have to run home and go to bed because surely it would be night time.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckybuck View Post
    Would a cadaver dog identify scent that was located up high? Say, above garage storage area or attic?
    Just curious. I remember reading an article about the use of "above garage storage" which appeared to be written by LA on a website. I need to try and find this.
    Yes. If the dog is trained correctly (See TurboThink's post referencing hanging scent in trees, just to touch on it) and the handler knows how to read his or her dog, the dog will indicate and the discovery will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteangora View Post
    Washers in the garage are mainly in the older homes, pre 1970.
    I lived there many years, our Laundry room was in the house since our house was built in the 80's.
    Yes, I realize that but there are still some homes built after those dates that have the washer and dryer in the garage. I know because I live here now.

In one of the photos of the house where the garage was open it looked to me as if the back wall may have had a small laundry area there. Also, on the left side of the wall, there appeared to be a rack one would use to drip dry clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by suzet View Post
    You know, I asked this months ago and never got a reply. Wish we could find out.
    don't know if this got answered, but my home in FL is similar to the layout there. You have to go throught the house. The garage is in front, usually there is a door that leads to a laundyroom, then into your kitchen and the back of the house has sliding glass doors that lead to the pool area or backyard.

We have rented new homes in Orlando for vacation and they have all had W/D in the garage. I found that inconvenient. Maybe they have gone back to putting them in the garages.
    Mine are in the garage and there are some days I hate it but the day my washing machine sprang a leak, I was glad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    don't know if this got answered, but my home in FL is similar to the layout there. You have to go throught the house. The garage is in front, usually there is a door that leads to a laundyroom, then into your kitchen and the back of the house has sliding glass doors that lead to the pool area or backyard.
    Every garage in my neighborhood also has a side entry door to the garage. If people never use it, they stack things up against it so there's basically no entry there.

Coley is offline You are damned if you do and damned if you don't
    Quote Originally Posted by Friptzap View Post
    She wanted the cadaver dogs to check the area by the retaining wall/rocks, next to the pool, for evidence in case Caylee fell and hit her head there.

Wait? these are cadaver dogs right? do they search for remenants of blood left by a bleeding wound or evidence of decomposition from human remains?

My understanding is it could be both depending on their training no?

BTW in the interview she mentions they said they did not hit anywhere near that location.

Most things she mentions are just a figment of her imagination. JMHO

ETA: These are also the same dogs that JB has a motion into the judge about in reference to their "doggy manuals"
    Baez Anthony Law Firm 1.888.URA.FOOL

If you don't like someone or something they are doing why not lend an opinion before making one?

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong." -Bertrand Russell

It depends on the builder and the price of the home. More expensive homes have a laundry room. The laundry room usually goes into the garage (as described earlier). Laundry rooms are better here because the garages get so hot that it very uncomfortable to do laundry there in the summer.
    So the answer is that it depends...inside adds square footage and price to the home since it's under AC.

In my opinion Cindy flat lied when she said they were inconsistent. It was my understanding they BOTH alerted exactly the same places.

What I have not seen or read, is did they use them in the house? There was something about blood on her bed headboard, but that has disappeared.

http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/p...onyflags-2.jpg

http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=41089096.jpg

http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=41089110.jpg

http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=41077046.jpg

~~~ respectfully snipped ~~~

I don't believe a word that comes out of Cindy's mouth. The dogs did alert in the same places. And .... towards about the middle of this case, I read that the dogs alerted in Caylee's bedroom.
    I remember how shocked I was when I read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coley View Post
    Most things she mentions are just a figment of her imagination. JMHO

ETA: These are also the same dogs that JB has a motion into the judge about in reference to their "doggy manuals"
    I read that.........I think I will pass on teaching Casper to read the "manual" before he searches...........

I noticed they replied there were no manuals. That entire motion screamed they know NOTHING about cadaver dogs.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast