Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Corrie Wood Murdered In Her Own Home Continued....

Quote Originally Posted by LorinMarie View Post
    I will put this out there but I want to state it is my opinion only based on the behavior and adament defense of Scott and the cleaning of the crime scene. I believe that something inappropriate may have gone on between the pair. Again I do not know for fact, but I can think of no other reason for her defending Scott so strongly. I do know that there is also still contact between the 2 of them at least on a friendship level if nothing else. "She" tries very hard to place the blame elsewhere and is not able to engage in an in an intelligent discussion where she can state that she does not believe it was Scott and provide reasons why. Her action is to try and deflect and attack anyone that does not share her point of view with no evidence to back it up. It is not as if they were the best of friends and have known each other since the beginning of time so what other reasons for such adamant defence of Scott can there be?

I agree.

Yes, I am hated on the internet today!!

Quote Originally Posted by NSC View Post
    I agree.

Yes, I am hated on the internet today!!
    We love you over here NSC

This Urkel dance is just for you

Quote Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
    We love you over here NSC

This Urkel dance is just for you
    Yup, you're our Corrie Wood hero at WS!

What is the addy for bluecrime? I tried bluecrime.com and it took me to a page that said the site is for sale right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel View Post
    What is the addy for bluecrime? I tried bluecrime.com and it took me to a page that said the site is for sale right now!
    http://bluecrimehunter.blogspot.com/

Thanks Steadfast and Proudmama

In one of the other threads I said about whether it was more than him and that it was done away from the House and then she was taken there.
    Ive always thought that the girl was sus.
    How could you not.

Does anyone know how long they were friends for ? how good a friends they were ? as in Corrie and L

NSC are you BCH ?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneInOz View Post
    In one of the other threads I said about whether it was more than him and that it was done away from the House and then she was taken there.
    How could you not.

Does anyone know how long they were friends for ? how good a friends they were ? as in Corrie and L

NSC are you BCH ?
    The girl could VERY well be a POI However, I do not feel she would have had anything to do with beating, JMO. I do feel she is involved in some way shape or form in the mix of things. I am not BCH and if I was I wouldn't publicly display it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JaneInOz View Post
    How could you not.

NSC are you BCH ?
    Jane Corrie and L were not friends for long from what I have heard less then a year

Thank you so much. I have to keep up with all of the gossip!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel View Post
    Thank you so much. I have to keep up with all of the gossip!!

Yes, it is a little gossipy over there!! I have only made those few posts where I sign my name. But I am not liked very much. Oh well, back to putting on my CSI cap for the day! Ha!

Scott has an Arraignment and Pretrial Hearing scheduled for Dec 15th at Keith County Court. (For Oct 13th charges of DUI and DWLS???).

The Arraignment for Case ID "...1001" was originally scheduled for Nov 17th, then Dec 8th and is now Dec 15th.

12/15/2008; 11:00AM; Room #01
    Pretrial Hearing
    State v. Scott R Petro
    Case ID CR080000993

Pretrial Hearing: Conference with attorneys to determine scope of possible trial with view toward resolving issues through agreement.

12/15/2008; 11:00AM; Room #01 (previous court dates were 11/17 and 12/08)
    Arraignment
    State v. Scott R Petro
    Case ID CR080001001

Arraignment is also sometimes referred to as a “first appearance.” The arraignment is a formal procedure where rights are read, charges are read and explained, and a plea (guilty or not guilty) is entered.

http://www.nebraska.gov/courts/calendar/index.cgi
    County Court, Keith County

Pretrial Hearing: Conference with attorneys to determine scope of possible trial with view toward resolving issues through agreement.

Does this mean that they will discuss a plea agreement with this person who has had x number of DUI's? There shouldn't be anything to discuss except him going back to prison because of the number of DUI's he has had. Two just since Corrie was murdered. Those are only two of them though! Scott has probably always been able to plea bargin his way out of the DUI's and that is wrong. He is a danger to everyone on the road. Maybe they will throw him in the clink and keep him there until they get all the evidence back and can lock him up and throw away the key

Good morning everyone!

Question - over on bluecrime someone said that Scott failed to appear in court for his DUI, can someone confirm if this is true please? Granted he has a history of that, so it isnt surprising, but daaaaamn this is a heck of a time to try and pull something like that.

If it is true, just another piece of proof that he believes he is above the law. Man I cant wait for that dose of reality thats cruising his way

Quote Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
    Good morning everyone!

Question - over on bluecrime someone said that Scott failed to appear in court for his DUI, can someone confirm if this is true please? Granted he has a history of that, so it isnt surprising, but daaaaamn this is a heck of a time to try and pull something like that.

If it is true, just another piece of proof that he believes he is above the law. Man I cant wait for that dose of reality thats cruising his way

I don't know about there but here a failure to appear results in a warrant for their arrest and there is no bond.

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE, LETS HOPE TODAY WILL BRING SOME GOOD NEWS. I FOULD THIS INFORMATION ONLINE AND IT LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THAT THERE HAD TO BE BLOOD AT THE SCENE OF THE CRIME AND I ALSO BELIEVE THAT SCOTTS FRIENDS WASHED THE SHEETS BECAUSE THEY HAD BLOOD ON THEM. FUTHER MORE AS FAR AS THE SHEETS GO SOME PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT THEY WERE WASHED BECAUSE OF BODILY FLOODS. I DON'T THINK THATS RIGHT BECAUSE I HAVE A CHILD AND THEY HAVE ACCIDENTS, I HAVE NEVER BEEN NOT ABLE TO WASH CLOTHS, BEDDING, ETC AND HAVE IT NOT COME OUT, BUT BLOOD YES IT IS VERY HARD TO GET OUT DURING THE WASH.

What is blunt force trauma?
    Blunt force trauma is kind of an umbrella term. It is non-specific but sufficient enough to put on a death certificate. However, it can take many forms. Blunt force trauma is caused by a blunt object striking some part of the body. The blunt object may be a bat, wrench, hammer, floor, dashboard, etc. The typical signs of blunt force trauma include lacerated major blood vessels or aorta, lacerated or crushed organs, hematoma, crushed or severed spinal cord or fractures of the skull. Any one of these injuries is sufficient to cause death.

While automobile accidents and accidental falls represent the greatest causes of blunt force trauma, this type of injury is also present in a wide variety of homicide cases when gunshot wound is not the cause of death. Most homicides involving blunt force trauma result from the victim being struck in the head or neck with an object such as a hammer, fireplace poker, flower vase, etc. In these cases the bones of the skull or neck are fractured in one or more places by the velocity of the blow. Blunt force trauma can also occur if the victim has been severely beaten with an object or with fists. In these cases the injuries are generally to internal organs like the kidneys, liver, spleen, etc.

Blunt Force Trauma to the Brain
    The brain can be damaged by trauma in two ways. When the head is struck by a hard object the cerebral cortex (gray matter) can become bruised. If the force of the blow is sufficient to cause a whiplash like circumstance then the injury can occur to the nerve cells (axonal injury) deep in the white matter of the brain. Injury of this type involves a variety of forces including the acceleration of the object and the acceleration force imparted to the brain by the object. Injury results from the direct contact between the object and the head and the greatest injury to the head occurs from the initial direct impact with the blunt object. The area of contact may be large (a baseball bat, 2x4) or small (hammer head, a paper weight) but the velocity of the impact will largely determine the extent and type of damage caused by the resulting blow.

The cranium, the complex structure of bones that encloses and protects the brain, is composed of three layers; the outer table (hard outer layer of bone), the inner table (inner layer of hard bone), and the diploe or spongy bone layer between the two.

When the blunt object comes into contact with the bones of the human skull several reactions are possible. A piece of bone may break loose from the skull and be forced into the cranium with concentric fractures forming around the break area. This bone fragment or plug as it is called often takes on the approximate shape of the object itself. Another reaction is where the object causes an inward bending of the skull resulting in crushing of the outer table and diploe with fractures radiating outwards. In this case the inner table is left untouched by the blow. A blow can also cause a situation where there is both inward and outward bending of the skull structures. In this case, the inner table as well as the outer table and diploe are all shattered. Radiating fractures spread outward from the impact site.

Weapons Characteristics
    The number and type of objects that can potentially be used in a crime to inflict blunt force trauma on a victim is almost immeasurable. However, it is possible to identify certain characteristics of the resulting wound which allow a group of potential weapons to be identified. This is called a "class characteristic". A fracture showing smooth curved lines would be caused by a similar class of weapons such as a claw hammer or crow bar. Some times a weapon will leave individual marks on the bone. These marks might arise from imperfection in the manufacture of the object or marked caused by prior damage to the blunt object itself. Such marks are referred to as "individual characteristics" and can further serve to identify a particular object as the murder weapon.

Sometimes a single weapon can produce more than one type of fracture wound. For example, if the victim was hit with the flat side of a shovel blade then a large flat area of one or more fractures would be evident on the head. However, if the victim was hit with the shovel blade turned on its side the resulting wound would be a linear fracture possibly exhibiting a pattern with curvature similar to that of the shovel blade. In many cases a victim will display several occurrence of blunt force trauma. It is the job of the medical examiner and forensic investigator to determine if all the wounds were made by the same object and to try to determine which wound occurred first,

Blood Spatter in Blunt Force Trauma
    As in most crime scenes blood spatter pattern analysis can provide vital evidence in determining what actually happened during the commission of the crime. Blunt trauma to most of the body may not produce significant blood spatter since most of the blunt force damage will be to internal organs. Blunt trauma to the head and neck, on the other hand, almost always results in a series of characteristic blood spatter patterns. The blood spatter is characteristic of medium velocity blood spatter resulting from an external force of greater than five feet per second (fps) but less than twenty-five fps. Blunt force trauma also produces cast-off blood spatter as blood is thrown from the weapon as it is raised and then brought down on the victim each additional time. This spatter can occur on ceilings, walls and floor depending on the force and direction of the inflicted blows. In the process the victim’s blood is also transferred to the blunt object and can usually be recovery from the weapon once it is identified.

bumping

There seems to be a new arraignment date for Scott on BCH someone has it posted that there is now a 2nd one of Dec 17th. The first being December 15th.

Just another thought as well... I was reading the archives on Blue Crime Hunter to see if anything stuck out at me. Someone posted about there being potential bite marks? How long would that take to identify? Do they take a bite sample? Obviously, DNA.. But wouldn't this be a dead ringer? No Pun intended?

I want to stay as unbiased as possible. I still think Scott is the likely suspect. However, I don't want to rule out Red, Loomis, Jared who works for Scott, and any other potential employees that may have worked for them (just a different angle) - Then there are the obvious accessories if Scott is the person who committed the murder. Any thoughts???

Potential bite marks ? really ? from Corrie during the struggle ? or to Corrie ?

How are you doing NSC x

There seems to be a new arraignment date for Scott on BCH someone has it posted that there is now a 2nd one of Dec 17th. The first being December 15th.

Just another thought as well... I was reading the archives on Blue Crime Hunter to see if anything stuck out at me. Someone posted about there being potential bite marks? How long would that take to identify? Do they take a bite sample? Obviously, DNA.. But wouldn't this be a dead ringer? No Pun intended?

I want to stay as unbiased as possible. I still think Scott is the likely suspect. However, I don't want to rule out Red, Loomis, Jared who works for Scott, and any other potential employees that may have worked for them (just a different angle) - Then there are the obvious accessories if Scott is the person who committed the murder. Any thoughts???

I dont remember where I know this from (maybe CSI???) but I believe they take molds of your teeth (just like when you are getting braces) and then match them to the skin bites, indentions, bruises.

Or there is a type of "paper" that dentists use to take bite indentions (this part is from my own dental experience). I would guess that LE would need a search warrent or supena to get a person to submit to either if they werent willing when initially asked.

I think a bite wound would be odd. Biting is typically a defensive stance and I thought it was said that no one had any injuries. Also biting makes me think of girls, girls often bite when they are fighting (and on the losing end of the fight). Lastly, bite wounds make me think of something along the lines of a sadistic sex. Its just very odd to me for a deceased victim to have a bite wound and no POI had any visible injuries.

Re the rumor that there was a bite mark(s) on Corrie. We don’t know if this is true or not but here’s some more info about bites & forensic analysis.

From what I could find, assailants may bite their victims as an expression of dominance, rage and animalistic behaviour. A well known bite mark case is Ted Bundy's. Bite mark analysis would be done and could be used as evidence, but there are a number of variables involved (see below). Of special interest I think is any saliva deposited / left behind which can be used for DNA matching.

==========================
    Bite Mark Analysis includes:

· Photographs of bite mark
    · Swabs to get any saliva left behind on bite/victim
    · Dental impression or mold of the suspect (via warrant or submitted voluntarily)
    · Saliva/DNA of suspect
    · Computer Imaging

<snipped>

Guidelines for court testimony are set forth by the American Board of Forensic Odontology, in terms of how an expert should offer an analysis of bite mark comparisons in court. The identification can be declared positive, probable, possible, not possible (the suspect is excluded) or insufficient as evidence to make a definitive statement. The highest standard is "reasonable medical certainty," wherein for all practical purposes, the perpetrator is confidently identified by the expert as the person who made the mark.

<snipped>

It must be noted that not all bite marks are of forensic value, especially since the analysis is generally vague. While there are some cases, such as Ted Bundy's, where the bite-mark analysis was pivotal, the "science" of dental impressions has relied more on anecdotal success than on a solid history of standardized testing. A bite mark has to be fairly clear, with several experts confirming the evidence independently, before a court should consider it as significant evidence.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/forensics/bitemarks/6.html

This guide tells you all about human bitemarks. It explains how bitemarks are recognized and gives details of evidence collection techniques and how to analyze the injuries.

http://www.forensicdentistryonline.org/Forensic_pages_1/bitemarkguide.htm

Thanks Cloud that was great info!!! Yes, it is only "rumor" about the bitemarks. But I was curious how LE would go about that officially.

A great big HUG for John Ferak who is helping keep Corries story alive!! We will not forget you Corrie!!! Thanks John!!!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pag...u_sid=10515236

Published Tuesday December 16, 2008
    Grant frustrated by unsolved beating death
    BY JOHN FERAK
    WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

The unsolved beating death of a 28-year-old woman in southwestern Nebraska continues to frustrate family and friends.

Can you help?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Nebraska State Patrol is offering up to $1,000 for information about the slaying of Corrie Wood of Grant, Neb. The patrol wants to hear from anyone who saw Wood on Sept. 19.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the statewide Crime Stoppers at www.nebraskacrimestoppers.com.

Corrie WoodWith each passing week since Corrie Wood was found dead Sept. 20, the community loses faith that the person responsible will be arrested, said Doug Tatum, owner of the Barber Pole in Grant, Neb., a town of 1,220 that is five hours from Omaha.

Wood's boyfriend, Scott Petro, contacted authorities after he found her unresponsive in their bedroom. The night before, Wood, Petro and a few other friends met for drinks at a bar in a neighboring town. An autopsy later determined she had been beaten to death. No arrests have been made.

"Questions are being asked, but answers are not being found," Tatum said. "You remain hopeful that today will be the day with the big break. It needs to be resolved."

Perkins County Sheriff Jim Brueggeman said it may take another three to six months before an arrest is possible.

The case - the first homicide investigated in Perkins County in 22 years - has raised questions about whether the local authorities in the city of Grant and Perkins County hindered the investigation by not securing the crime scene until an autopsy was completed.

It wasn't until the third day that local authorities realized that the Grant woman was a homicide victim, prompting them to contact the Nebraska State Patrol for help in the investigation.

Click to enlargeState Patrol Capt. Mark Funkhouser said that because local officials waited to enlist their help, investigators were forced to "play catch-up." Most rural communities, he said, seek immediate help from the state in death investigations where the cause is unknown.

"This was a case they didn't recognize as a homicide," Funkhouser said. "In this case, the sheriff thought this was a natural death or accidental death."

But he said "it's not the norm" when a young woman who appears to be in good health is found dead in her bedroom.

Questions surrounding the Wood homicide come several months after The World-Herald's series Fatal Flaws, which revealed that autopsy rates, the amount of training and the quality of investigation vary from county to county because the state sets few standards and offers no oversight.

In Grant, rescue workers and local authorities who found Wood dead in her one-story house did not suspect foul play initially, said Sheriff Brueggeman, one of the first officers on the scene.

At first, officials theorized that Wood died from excessive drinking, the sheriff said.

"This was not a case with an obvious smoking gun," he said.

On the evening of Sept. 19, a group gathered at a Venango, Neb., bar to celebrate Wood's coming 29th birthday. One of the friends, Melissa "Red" Dutton, said that Wood vomited several times outside the bar after consuming too much alcohol.

About 1:15 a.m., Wood asked Dutton to give her a ride home.

"Our understanding is that Scott Petro remained at the bar," the sheriff said.

Both women stopped briefly at Dutton's house in Venango to retrieve a sweater. They returned briefly to the bar to locate Petro, but he had already left. During the 18-mile drive to Grant, Wood passed out in the passenger seat. Dutton said she had to wake her up when they pulled into Wood's driveway.

Wood staggered up to her house with Dutton's help. Wood crawled on top of the bed and passed out. She was wearing blue jeans and a white-tank top. Dutton estimated she left around 2:10 a.m. to meet some friends at a restaurant in Big Springs, Neb.

"When I left, Corrie was completely fine, so I figured everything was OK," Dutton said.

At 9:53 a.m. the next day, Sept. 20, Petro called 911 from the house he shared with Wood and reported finding her unresponsive after he woke up. An ambulance crew found Wood dead.

The sheriff and his deputies collected evidence and interviewed Petro and others. A local doctor examined the body. Perkins County Attorney Rick Roberts, acting as the coroner, ordered an autopsy. Several hours later, the house was released to Petro, and authorities left.

On Sept. 22, the autopsy results came back, indicating Wood died of blows to her head and body.

The sheriff said he does not believe that releasing the house hindered the death investigation. He said authorities did not have enough evidence on Sept. 20 to continue securing the house.

When the autopsy results came back, the scene was re-secured, he said.

"Absolutely, I was surprised," the sheriff said of the autopsy results. "The scene did not present itself as being a homicide. There was not a person there that had suspicions this was a homicide at the time. In fact, it was far from it."

At that point, Perkins County called for help from the State Patrol, which dispatched a team of investigators from North Platte, along with the mobile crime lab trailer, to search the house for clues.

In the following days, authorities served six search warrants around Grant to collect evidence, which is being analyzed at the State Patrol forensics crime lab in Lincoln.

Petro has not been interviewed by the State Patrol, on the advice of his attorney. A court order required him to submit DNA and hair samples.

Dutton, the friend, said she submitted to a lie-detector test with State Patrol investigators and allowed them to impound her vehicle for forensics tests in September.

In an interview with The World-Herald, Petro said that he is not responsible for his girlfriend's death. Petro and Wood had dated for the past two years and co-owned a small construction business in Grant.

"I am not involved in Corrie's death," Petro said. "I am not an angel, but I am not a troublemaker anymore."

Petro, 38, has been on supervised probation since being released from federal prison in August 2006 for being a felon in possession of a firearm, after being earlier convicted of felony theft by deception.

On the advice of his lawyer, Petro said he would not discuss the time before his call to 911 on Sept. 20. Petro said he's well aware that he remains a suspect in his girlfriend's death.

"I knew I had to get a lawyer because they were looking very serious at me," Petro said. "It is such a shock, and it upset me and blew me away that they were looking at me."

Wood was a native of Imperial, Neb., where her family owned a farm equipment dealership. She graduated from Chase County High School in Imperial in 1998. She had recently worked for an optometrist.

Wood, who was divorced, left behind a 4-year-old daughter, who lives with her biological father in Venango.

Lt. Lynn Williams, a State Patrol investigator in North Platte, has taken over the investigation from the Perkins County Sheriff's Office. He said the crime lab analysis on numerous items seized during the searches is critical to the case.

"This is not yet a cold case," Williams said. "It remains a top priority for us."

For now, Wood's family continues to maintain faith that the State Patrol will gather sufficient evidence to make an arrest.

"The family is very disappointed that the investigation has not yet brought anyone to justice," said Jarrod Nielson, Corrie Wood's brother-in-law. "But we were warned by law enforcement at the very beginning that this could take a long time."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to NSC For This Useful Post:

NSC, thanks for keeping us up to date on the case and posting the new article.. Have to say, (just my opinon) the article brings up more questions from my perspective... Ususally (from my younger days anyway if taking someone home who was obiviously in need of a bed at the least.. stopping to retrieve a sweater.. why not keep the person at home with one's self rather than drive 18 more miles.. These stories of the evening do not add up.. Prayering for Corrie's sake, daugh and family the resolution is close coming.. Any word of her family? Don't think I've seen anything regarding them?

Again, your the best NSC! Keep up your great work. God Bless
    "Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible." Anonymous
    Matthew 19:26

I did not know:
    Petro has not been interviewed by the State Patrol, on the advice of his attorney.

That is very interesting. Doesnt that also conflict what Scott has openly said on here or bluecrime? I havent went back and looked yet, but I swear he said that he told them all they wanted to know and gave them all they wanted as far as samples.

I also did not know:
    Petro, 38, has been on supervised probation since being released from federal prison in August 2006 for being a felon in possession of a firearm, after being earlier convicted of felony theft by deception.

If Scott is currently on probation, booze use is a violation. Scott admitted he was in the bar drinking and he has been arrested for DUI AND stopped another time for drinking and driving. Why on earth hasnt his PO slapped him back in jail for probation violation????

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast